Shackletons... airfix and revell

Adam Poultney

I prefer the Revell kit for its surface treatment and the availability of the new-tool MR.3, plus they are significantly better priced. After Christmas I picked up two AEW.2 and an MR.3 for under £60 total.

They are going for a little more now but even today there is a new AEW.2 on eBay for under £24 post paid, and a new-tool MR.3 at £32 post paid. The cheapest post-paid Airfix ones I can find, whether AEW.2 or MR.2, are around the £45 mark. 

On 6/29/2020 at 11:37 AM, TonyOD said:

I have an itching to do something big and bulky and the FAA aren't known for their heavyweights, my low-level OCD might just allow me to expand my remit into British "maritime" aviation and do a Coastal Command Shack. The Airfix Whitley and Wellington both look nice too.

A little bit of thread drift but he Navy had about 12 Whitleys in the latter part of WW2. They were used as twin engine trainers. I think they were former RAF MkVIIs. I can get a hold of the serials if you want. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 825 said:

A little bit of thread drift but he Navy had about 12 Whitleys in the latter part of WW2. They were used as twin engine trainers. I think they were former RAF MkVIIs. I can get a hold of the serials if you want. 

That is interesting. If it's no hassle for you I wouldn't mind exploring that.

...and the Whitleys were replaced by Lancasters for use with 780NAS in the same role, operating from RNAS Hinstock and nearby Peplow.

There weren't very many and they were short lived, and I don't think that I've seen reference to them being refinished in navy colours.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 11:37 AM, TonyOD said:

I have an itching to do something big and bulky and the FAA aren't known for their heavyweights, my low-level OCD might just allow me to expand my remit into British "maritime" aviation and do a Coastal Command Shack. The Airfix Whitley and Wellington both look nice too.

Did you know that the FAA used Whitleys as a second line aircraft to train Firefly crews on the Merlin engine?

2 hours ago, TonyOD said:

They were used at Worthy Down. There's a photo of one landing in Sturnivants squadrons of the fleet air arm. The codes were WO and as far as I was able to ascertain were in the TSS with the rear turret removed

• Thanks 1

I'd seen a little about the FAA's use of Whitleys (mainly ex-Coastal Command GR.VIIs I think) which were replaced with 6 Lancasters from storage. From the little I've read, the Lancasters didn't stay with 780 NAS for long - most being scrapped in 1946-47.

I'd love to find more detail on markings so that I could use build something remotely accurate to represent these unusual Navy types.

Edge

On 6/29/2020 at 6:37 AM, TonyOD said:

I have an itching to do something big and bulky...

The first thing that came to mind for that description (and FAA) was Gannet.

On 6/29/2020 at 11:57 AM, KevinK said:

Adam won't mind, as long as you throw in a reference to the Vulcan.

What does Spock have to do with it?

5 hours ago, cherisy said:

Did you know that the FAA used Whitleys as a second line aircraft to train Firefly crews on the Merlin engine?

Which is rather odd, since the Firefly used a Griffon!

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

26 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

The first thing that came to mind for that description (and FAA) was Gannet.

Got a couple of them in the stash actually. Bigger, bulkier, more engines. 

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

There was Vulcan with 'Royal Navy' titles applied to the tail!

Bet it was a sod to land on a carrier though...

• Haha 1

On 7/1/2020 at 9:49 AM, cherisy said:

They were used at Worthy Down. There's a photo of one landing in Sturnivants squadrons of the fleet air arm. The codes were WO and as far as I was able to ascertain were in the TSS with the rear turret removed

I've seen this book mentioned a lot and it seems like a mine of information, but every time I've looked for a copy they've been quite expensive!

9 hours ago, TonyOD said:

I've seen this book mentioned a lot and it seems like a mine of information, but every time I've looked for a copy they've been quite expensive!

Air Britain publishing, they do a discount for Ex services ,quote your services number. 

28 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Air Britain publishing, they do a discount for Ex services ,quote your services number. 

I’m not, sadly!

13 hours ago, TonyOD said:

I have the book and I've seen the picture, it's not great and I can't see how anyone can gleen any detail from it.  It's definitely Merlin powered though!

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the Whitleys were used for engine handling training for Barracudas, but I'm guessing they would have been handy for anything Merlin or Griffon powered.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 12:02 AM, 71chally said:

I have the book and I've seen the picture, it's not great and I can't see how anyone can gleen any detail from it.  It's definitely Merlin powered though!

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the Whitleys were used for engine handling training for Barracudas, but I'm guessing they would have been handy for anything Merlin or Griffon powered.

Yep you were right. My bad. It was used for engine handling for barracudas. That's what happens when you join forums away from your research Material.  Re the detail , I managed to clean the photo up and you can see where the rear turret was appears to be faired off rather like the BOAC version in the Airfix kit. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 7:14 AM, TonyOD said:

Sorry its a few days days but I've been busy and it's taken a little while to dig out the books. I'm still looking for the article that describes the Navy's use of Whitleys. I'm sure it reported that they were used multi engine training. However, here is an excerpt from the Warpaint book which has all the units that used the Whitley. It gives the time and an example of one of the MkVII's used by 734 NAS. 

resized_526ddb77-c3bc-43a5-8841-81c14a4f

Another fairly big aircraft the Fleet Air Arm used was the Handley Page Sparrow. And Valom have one. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you @825, that's really interesting. The Shack is my likely target due to ready availability of kit and decals, but if I go for another heavy this or the Sparrow will be up there!