Short Gurnard - 1/72 scratchbuilt FINISHED

Lovely job on the rigging Jon, she really is looking great! (The model, not the actual aircraft of course!)

I would NOT want to try to taxi that thing in any kind of cross-wind - wing tip repairs must have been fairly common!

Ian

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Brandy said:

I would NOT want to try to taxi that thing in any kind of cross-wind - wing tip repairs must have been fairly common!

Cheers Ian - absolutely agreed! Perhaps that big float and the undercarriage retraction gear kept the CofG fairly low, but that narrow track makes it looks really quite unstable. I imagine that you wouldn't want any drift on touchdown, either. I was also intrigued by the bottom of the water rudder doubling as a tailskid - it must have had pretty beefy hinges!

• Like 1

I'm a pretty poor figure painter, but I've bodged together this chap to represent an early 1930's pilot about to carry out a test flight on the Gurnard:

20201101_202253

He started life as one of the Hasegawa modern groundcrew figures but had his arms repositioned, torso cut and slightly stooped and his head replaced with one from a spare seated pilot figure. 

The purpose of including a figure is simply to add a sense of scale, primarily to emphasise the ungainliness of the Gurnard amphibian on land:

20201101_202231

I've added a representation of the retractable wind-driven generator but I won't be fitting a gun to the rear turret as most photos show the Gurnards without defensive armament:

20201101_202127

...and, with that, I'm calling this project finished. It has been by far the most adventurous model that I have ever attempted, probably the most satisfying to complete, and definitely the biggest learning experience that I have undertaken in this hobby. I am indebted to fellow BM'ers for your constant encouragement and top tips, without which I doubt I would have a finished model of this most unusual and esoteric aeroplane.

All I need now is a bit of bright and less windy weather so that I can take some halfway decent daylight photos,  then I'll be off to the RFI section.

Stay safe, folks.

Jon

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• Jonners changed the title to Short Gurnard - 1/72 scratchbuilt FINISHED

Hi Jonners,

Can I just say that, as someone who's only ever scratchbuilt railway wagons (and they're basically rectangular boxes!) that the Gurnard is an absolutely superb piece of model making, a tour-de-force!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, methods, trials and tribulations.

Looking forward to the RFI photos :)

Kind regards,

Mark

• Thanks 1

Simply superb model and an excellent demonstration of modelling skill - top job! 

Only nit I'd pick is that the pilot doesn't look pale enough for someone about to venture aloft in that thing....!! :)

Lovely work!

Keith

• Haha 3