+++ FINISHED! +++ B-1 Excalibur (Academy 1/260)

Hello,

This is my build log of the Academy 1/260 B-1. It's called "Excalibur" in the box, though I couldn't find any reliable evidence about the use of this name for the aircraft.

Anyway, it's a very simple and already a bit old kit. According to Scalemates, it's an 1990s Academy rebox of 1980s kit by Sunny:

https://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=107369&p=timeline

I decided to build it in parallel with my build of Zvezda's A-90 Ekranoplane when I was approaching the painting phase of the latter build. I thought the B-1 wouldn't cause significant delays to the build of the Ekranoplane and could serve as a parallel testbed for the "black base" technique.

Here's the box and contents:

y4ml7wzylI3LsNHqPzd3VCoVKIb6llPUIM0UZmoD

IMAG6665

The instructions are just this sheet:

y4mSAGKhmQ7o1OrWS60rgs566mhaUPqb8rUY1XfD

IMAG6666

First built: the stand:

y4m2VlhjavWH4eAPOTSOsFGp_B5zppuds5s3WbIH

IMAG6667

Fuselage parts, engine parts and one wing off the sprues and cleaned:

y4mGV5boSzS2nlgvUivyUaQCyFp13nj84uId_RXz

IMAG6668

It is evident that the air-intakes must be blanked, otherwise the empty insides of the engines will be visible:

y4ml_yXxdZ4boiqaBvtH2jENyrx8r7FoRY1FNBBb

IMAG6669

Blanked with pieces of plasticard:

y4m-QoGuyW-NeF246mem02M7F98kbjpcsao952wl

IMAG6672

Blanking was also needed for the side openings on the fuselage for the variable-geometry wings:

y4mFB-uAqpvPY-7cNPusxcMacjFIQ5bYf16c3oX0

IMAG6673

The wings were glued to the top fuselage part in a fixed fully extended position:

y4mS6nxy0amjpYm9KKmjImJow8fNJps1HMoU6kHV

IMAG6675

The bottom fuselage half was glued in place:

y4mps6Qwac0LaRHd3nwMyVgHbAG-4mzn1F6GAhjS

IMAG6676

Nose pitot in place:

y4mvH6oz48wLbBzHNMqjr2TMaGMGOtwks7_SloGl

IMAG6677

Vertical fin in place:

y4msrRPvkT-YBMrFJCERdbV70NqIga2V9SRvwpFj

IMAG6678

Pieces of plasticard were used to fill in the ejector marks:

y4m1Env1Lx75DJueLDdPBvY1jSv1lEFLeC4oPUtr

IMAG6679

The horizontal stabilisers were then glued in place:

y4mce78cpYQQGchaNyAafIsYfs3D3j3dvZtstsPC

IMAG6680

As well as the engines and exhausts:

y4mhMnfOOSAS59PTbyQeMVdg7yuG_Ung_K1BdQVA

IMAG6681

As can be seen in the previous photos, there are a lot of bad joins which had to be treated with generous amounts of Perfect Plastic Putty (PPP):

y4mMLMWNuoXzhRYVRqDYsoJ1gLXROR264eKJpGve

IMAG6682

y4mO6UtGyMhOWxBon30V1BH_ZW__TPRfsWmvj8xx

IMAG6683

y4m3DrAZqaKqF-NUiJs83BwyZ0yJjaRlhJmyuPhR

IMAG6684

y4mrTauxCgHr4xVgNymg8CXGffqJdbaQvCLo00xc

IMAG6685

After cleaning the excess putty, things look better:

y4mMEgMGkEhsNEZ8tdEnw7fhWTK1D4bjiXb6tqT5

IMAG6686

y4mARGajDbFM7tgJwqRkhAhICXtNwm5ZYZJJqg_1

IMAG6687

y4mIiVD8Tgm5mnGEjl0Tau0Vp-dIzoJb9kGUILOl

IMAG6688

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, jrlx said:

This is my build log of the Academy 1/260 B-1. It's called "Excalibur" in the box, though I couldn't find any reliable evidence about the use of this name for the aircraft.

Robert F Dorr referred to the proposed name "Excalibur" for the B-1 in a Defence Media Network article dated 11 March 2010 however this was vetoed as it was also the brand name of a popular product in the United States.  As such, the name Lancer was adopted as an alternative although for a time the name "Eagle" was also considered for the aircraft before it was assigned to the F-15.   

• Thanks 1

@HOUSTON thank you very much for your kind words and interest!

@Richard E thank you for the reference. I read that story about the name of the aircraft in a blog but couldn't find any proper reference.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Another update.

The model was primed with Alclad Black Primer and Microfiler, because I wanted to use the "black base" technique. The primer revealed several spots where additional seam treatment was needed, so more PPP was applied:

y4mjeVtMfhRaHMy3u5nZsymet12GF7AIbA8TpLjy

IMAG6691

y4mOxY9FX8OkpWy9Cw9AGw0ikFaliqFLBiABLqIV

IMAG6692

While the putty dried, I painted the base. First I painted it Alclad Burn Iron but it turned out to be too dark for my liking, so I repainted it Alclad Steel:

y4mMlKKBVk0Im0sQqSFEFrQbqqjUBxoCtGQIvrbq

IMAG6693

The excess PPP was removed and the second and final coat of black primer was applied:

y4mObBR0Uapke1UCw_W6mLFMIGwSI4sBOBgf1SoU

IMAG6703

y4m4Fxj-9KNlKkesCEjjLMubxtR5dDeNoy_rV98k

IMAG6704

Next, I applied a light grey mottling layer. This would provide tonal variation under the final camouflage colours:

y4mRAAHXAOdj5rc5WkR8JtlLYhJrLoQuHpJ6vz3F

IMAG6705

y4mqmf7VI9y9A01IZfekOUNr5pBc4g3TEaebiUy7

IMAG6706

This kit comes with no paint scheme in the instructions. I had to search the net for the camouflage colours of early B-1s, which turned out to be dark green FS34086 and dark grey FS36081. As I'm using Gunze acrylics, the corresponding references are H421 RLM81 Brown Violet for the dark green (there's no direct reference) and H301 grey FS36081.

For the camouflage scheme itself I had to use the pictures on pages 57 and 84 of Daco Publications book on the B-1B. I'm not sure these top and bottom pictures correspond to the same scheme, because there were some areas where they were difficult to reconcile but I wasn't worried about accuracy with this kit, just using it to test the "black base" technique.

After the mottling, I painted the dark grey areas. After letting these areas dry, I masked them before painting the dark green areas. Masking was done using blu-tack to delimit the camouflage and masking tape to cover the areas to be protected. It was a very tedious process which took me several sessions to complete. Here's the result before painting the dark green areas:

y4m555fvoVUAQXVSsEjXnXZlS-ybPPANXclSPiSi

IMAG6707

y4mfydT1aX7fElOCVYDHAjRcFVVvMDA2ameUmk78

IMAG6708

After painting the second camouflage colour, the masking was removed, resulting in this:

y4mc4KDbeBHEKl2LH_OlJoLDwy61obfMvU2YpizU

IMAG6719

y4m8PC9S0sxgXN7PaO94FfAQHFDJ4bjlBmE9dVSK

IMAG6720

The two camouflage colours blend very well (the dark grey has a greenish tinge) and the underlying mottling provides the intended tonal variation. It should be noted that both camouflage colours were applied in very thin layers (50% paint / 50% thinner) in order to keep the mottling visible. The final matte coat should reduce the contrast and give a subtler result.

Thanks for looking

Jaime

• Like 5

@CedB Thanks!

@silverkite211  I'm afraid its too late. The build is already finished. Anyway, as I said above, accuracy was not my aim with this build but thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi again,

The next step in the build was the application of decals. Before that, the model was coated with Microgloss and dried for at least one day.

The setup for decal application was this:

y4mEtc3YgIZwbsJFpJ9cRlEit5onZqSXbV2Qr8QG

IMAG6721

There was only a very small number of decals to apply. The decal for the wind-screen was not used. I'll paint the windows black and I'll apply a coat of Alclad Acqua Gloss to simulate the glass. The other decals reacted well to the solvents, though they are about 30 years old.

Here's the model after decal application and with the wind-screen already painted black. A new microgloss coat was also applied in preparation for weathering:

y4mcEbhwRDeedg1Efnu7PkANcG4wjv1vMdatdWwp

IMAG6729

y4my-ZWDebS2BdEiuRZW5xDUpEEHx2ioZTz8pI7h

IMAG6730

y4mQLdQ-LHaGmSgMTIyEvpocEPkF_nwGJdHqdOXt

IMAG6731

The weathering consisted only in a brown wash. For that I used Vallejo's acrylic greased earth wash. Here's the setup:

y4m0-yjd7jQ9Li677pWBnsP75NaRJapoAVwAWlqI

IMAG6735

After letting the wash dry for a day, the model was coated with Alclad Flat kote. To finish with, the exhausts were painted by paintbrush with burnt iron and the windscreen received a coat of Aqua Gloss.

Here's a detail photo where the finished exhausts and the effect of the wash can be seen:

y4mUwyjivR619_p2IiroM5FybmZrJ9kQp5i1mT4M

IMAG6748

And here is the windscreen:

y4mSg41_hN9dFcIJl-EGnDGapF2W2YGVrqiE9smq

IMAG6749

Finally, the model was glued to the stand and here are some final pictures:

y4m8OamB23mP5s-LJJglMQoOLXfqqUR27FEdYzix

IMAG6751

y4m3DGn2nI6T75c4BMhEpn5ez01t1lrVANxZiVMT

IMAG6753

y4mJvT5KB6ytSYPJ3lH7HL2sT4sChA7X_wOxukBl

IMAG6752

y4m_BtYU1vhvenm3eKLcmY2d3mfU3eqpOvvp0JUP

IMAG6754

I believe the "black base" technique worked quite nicely.

So, it's done :) I'll publish better pictures latter in the RFI section.

Thanks for looking

Jaime

• Like 5

Very nice Jaime :) 

1 hour ago, jrlx said:

I believe the "black base" technique worked quite nicely.

Me too!

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2020 at 8:10 PM, jrlx said:

This kit comes with no paint scheme in the instructions. I had to search the net for the camouflage colours of early B-1s, which turned out to be dark green FS34086 and dark grey FS36081.

Hate to have missed this before the model was complete, but the B-1B camouflage (referred to semi-officially as the "Strategic" scheme) actually consists of three colors: the upper surfaces are FS34086 dark green and FS36081 dark gray, with the undersides in a similar disruptive pattern of FS36081 and FS36118 (aka "Gunship Gray"). 

FS36081, sometimes referred to as "Euro I gray" has a strange, greenish cast in some lighting (and after fading), but is also sometimes (inaccurately) called "dark gunship gray" - which explains your confusion, and probably accounts for the discrepancies you mentioned in trying to correlate the upper and lower patterns.

Posting this mainly so others can avoid the same issue - don't take it as a criticism of a very nice build of a tricky little model.

4 minutes ago, CT7567 said:

Posting this mainly so others can avoid the same issue - don't take it as a criticism of a very nice build of a tricky little model.

Thank you very much for the detailed information. That certainly can explain the difficulties to correlate the upper and lower camouflage schemes from the pictures. As I said elsewhere I wasn't very concerned about accuracy due to the limitations of the model and because the main purpose was to test the black base technique.

I hope a good modern 1/72 scale model of this aircraft appears in the market in the near future. Wasn't Modelcollect planning to launch one?

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jrlx said:

I hope a good modern 1/72 scale model of this aircraft appears in the market in the near future. Wasn't Modelcollect planning to launch one?

Cheers

Jaime

+1 on the hope for an accurate new-tooled B-1B in the One True Scale.  The "future release" is still on Modelcollect's website, but I've not heard anything recently on the timeframe for its release.  After the debacle their B-52s turned out to be, I can only hope they take extra care to get the B-1 right.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CT7567 said:

+1 on the hope for an accurate new-tooled B-1B in the One True Scale.  The "future release" is still on Modelcollect's website, but I've not heard anything recently on the timeframe for its release.  After the debacle their B-52s turned out to be, I can only hope they take extra care to get the B-1 right.

I didn't buy their B-52 because I already have Italeri's in the stash. However, I bought their B-2 and Eduard's PE sets for it. It'll be a while before I manage to start building it.

On 7/2/2020 at 7:39 PM, jrlx said:

I didn't buy their B-52 because I already have Italeri's in the stash. However, I bought their B-2 and Eduard's PE sets for it. It'll be a while before I manage to start building it.

The B-2 from what I've seen is very good - certainly an improvement on the vintage Testors kit.  I was hoping for better on the B-52, but their research team clearly let them down by confusing variants and getting some shapes plain wrong.  Since the changes over time to the B-1B are less dramatic than the BUFF I'm hoping they won't have any major snafus.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CT7567 said:

The B-2 from what I've seen is very good - certainly an improvement on the vintage Testors kit.  I was hoping for better on the B-52, but their research team clearly let them down by confusing variants and getting some shapes plain wrong.  Since the changes over time to the B-1B are less dramatic than the BUFF I'm hoping they won't have any major snafus.

I'm relieved to know the B-2 is good. I hope they eventually launch a good B-1.