Heller 1/48 AS350 Ecureuil

Hello,

this is my entry for the GB, a Heller Ecureuil (or Squirrel as it was more commonly known in the UK). The kit has been a long term (39 years!)  resident of my stash, so this is the perfect opportunity to get it built at long last.

Dave

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 12

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff, 39 years in the stash thats the spirit. 

However @Wez will be furious you didnt save this one for his forthcoming Classic Heller GB 😉

cheers Pat 

Don't worry Pat, I've already signed up with @Wez for the Classic Heller GB. That's what the 40+ year old stash items are waiting for! 😏

Incidentally, just read the blurb on the instruction sheet and the first flight of the Ecureuil was on June 27 th, 1974. Must be fate!

Dave

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Dave,

Glad to see a Heller kit being built, also glad you've got plenty more Heller kits in the stash that would be suitable for the Heller Classic GB later in the year.

I only ever had one opportunity to buy this kit and as it was at the time, a civvie, I bought something more fighty instead (it was all about bullets and bombs back then), good luck with it.

Pat @JOCKNEY thanks for watching the Heller Classic GB's back.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Good luck with this oldie. Have the decals survived?

Cheers! The decals (I've had postage stamps as large as the sheet) don't look too bad, but I'm planning on cobbling together bits and pieces to do it as G-MORR of Colt Cars, which is quite special to me.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A quick update - the rear passenger seats come as a single 4 seat moulding, but my subject had a 'more luxurious' 3 seat layout with armrests between them. I used a razor saw to separate the seats, then cut out the armrests from spare plastic from a vacform kit.

Dave

spacer.png

Note the mega kit decal sheet.

spacer.png

• Like 9

Cheers Col. and thanks for that gingerbob -very interesting!

Not much chance to sit at the modelling table this weekend, but I did manage to get the main parts of the fuselage together.

Dave

spacer.png

• Like 4

Looks as if there's a little tidying up required around the top and rotor hole but how was the fit of parts so far?

17 hours ago, Col. said:

Looks as if there's a little tidying up required around the top and rotor hole but how was the fit of parts so far?

Col., it is going together better than it actually looks in the photos (digital cameras are so unforgiving!), with just a little sanding of the joints required and a smidgen of filler in a couple of places.

Cabin interior is mostly painted and slowly being installed, ready for the clear parts of the front end. That'll be fun!

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Wow that interior looks very classy, i hope if you have crew members they take their shoes off before they get it !

cheers Pat 

It might be 40 years ago, but I can still remember vacuuming that carpet quite a few times! I'm sure they carried some rubber car mats for use in bad weather -they won't be featured here though...

Really enjoying this whole GB, it's bringing back lots of memories.

Dave

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Things have been a bit busy on the home front lately, so only managed to snatch a few minutes here and there.

I've added a small fairing from plastic card onto the spine of the tail boom, painted the inside of the clear side panels/doors to avoid the exterior paint showing through and started the rotor blade hub. This took a fair bit of time, and caused a few choice words to be uttered.

The 3 linkages (they resemble tiny cartoon dog bones) proved particularly  fiddly to attach properly, and the central spindle was a bit on the short side, making the whole assembly very weak. This has now been replaced by a length of wire, which should now make the rotor blade hub removable -a bonus!

I'm still working on creating something to fill the void where the front spotlight should be (attempt #4 coming up).

Anyway, I'm still enjoying myself!!

Dave

spacer.png

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress, albeit slow. The clear nose section has had a scratch built spotlight fitted -this was a piece of plastic card with dish shaped indentation and covered with shiny foil. The two windows above the front seats have been tinted using Mr Hobby smoke blue clear paint. Finally, the 'dashboard' was glued inside (that was tricky!), and the front end fitted to complete the fuselage.

Next stop is the paint shop....

Dave

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The body has now been sprayed with some Tamiya white acrylic and the area around the windows painted black, as per the subject G-MORR. The black striped design is next.... 🤔

Dave

spacer.png

• Like 4