HMS Swift - Hong Kong Patrol Craft

While I am waiting for base parts to dry on another project thought I would make a start on this it will be my first full Atlantic models kit I have used plenty of the WEM PE sets before so this should be quick and easy  :idea:

The kit is of HMS Peacock there where 5 of these patrol craft used in the 80s and early 90s but when the handover of Hong Kong came about the Royal Navy sold them off 3 to the Philippines and 2 to Irish navy I will be attempting to do as HMS SWIFT one of the two that went to the Irish Navy

If anybody has some information on these ships please feel free to add I know some on here have already built this kit so any help appreciated.

spacer.png

first few bits glued together and some small amount of filler used on the joints

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 15

Hi beefy,

Looking forward to following this build.

There's a series of photos for the Irish ships at each of the following links.

LÉ Orla (P41) -  https://kinsaleangling.com/gallery/ships-and-boats/irish-naval-service/p41-le-orla

LÉ Orla (P41) -  https://www.flickr.com/photos/infomatique/9089439150/in/photostream/

LÉ Ciara (P42) - https://kinsaleangling.com/gallery/ships-and-boats/irish-naval-service/p42-le-ciara

Hope these can provide some visual help.

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Beefy - looks a super little boat.  I'm envious and John has supplied some really nice pics of the Irish vessels.  I feel some super-detailing coming up.

Seeing your Atlantic Models stash got me looking hard at Peter's stuff.

I fear there may be some Big Boys about :whistle:

Stay safe, party hard, shrouds don't have pockets!! 

Rob

• Haha 4

Looks interesting.

On 6/27/2020 at 6:07 PM, beefy66 said:

small amount of filler

What fillers are you using with resin, I see green at the W/L but white at deck/ superstructure?

21 hours ago, robgizlu said:

super little boat

Boat...you carry boats, it's a ship. Now submarines are 'called' boats but you can't carry them, they got the name when they were carried by submarine tenders :tease:.

Stuart

• Haha 3

Great to see a start on this one Beefy. Nice compact subject.

22 hours ago, robgizlu said:

I like it when the Big Boys are about, gives me an excuse to get some more in!

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Boat...you carry boats, it's a ship. Now submarines are 'called' boats but you can't carry them, they got the name when they were carried by submarine tenders :tease:.

So by that logic, are sailors generally known as boats then, given that boats carry sailors and ships carry sailors ............? 🤣

Actually on that point, are you known as an ex-sailor or an ex-submariner? Just curious.

Terry

• Haha 4

Hi beefy,

just saw this, I built one a few years ago as HMS Starling, it is an absolute gem of a kit, the only thing to watch if I remember correctly is the liferaft cannister fitment as it varied between ships and over time,

Cheers

David

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dancona said:

Hi beefy,

just saw this, I built one a few years ago as HMS Starling, it is an absolute gem of a kit, the only thing to watch if I remember correctly is the liferaft cannister fitment as it varied between ships and over time,

Thanks David for that info I have already been looking at your fine model as part of my research on the ships your brother must be very pleased with such a gift

On 6/28/2020 at 3:07 PM, robgizlu said:

Yes the trouble with the Big Boys is they come around far to often and I cant build them quick enough  :doh:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1

On 6/28/2020 at 10:07 PM, robgizlu said:

Beefy - looks a super little boat.

On 6/29/2020 at 7:20 PM, Courageous said:

Boat...you carry boats, it's a ship. Now submarines are 'called' boats but you can't carry them, they got the name when they were carried by submarine tenders

Gidday, why not just say "floaty thing"? You can't go wrong. 😀 Unless of course it sinks! 😟 Better stick with "vessel". 🤔

But I have to agree, it is a super little boat ship vessel (whatever). And I am looking forward to seeing it come together. Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

I never meant to cause such a disturbance in the Force :oops:

Rob

That will teach you. :whistle:

Funny how quickly the madness can descend on a simple small build just waiting for @Martian to turn up now 🤨

Stay Safe

beefy   

• Haha 5

42 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Funny how quickly the madness can descend on a simple small build just waiting for @Martian to turn up now 🤨

I have it on good authority he has a note excusing his temporary absence, apparently some issue with his desktop PC .................. even on Mars, such problems exist it seems.

Terry

• Haha 5

While the base for the Fletcher is drying got some time on this little un I have to apologize to @Courageous Stuart i was not ignoring you but missed out replying to your post about the filler

On 6/29/2020 at 12:20 PM, Courageous said:

What fillers are you using with resin, I see green at the W/L but white at deck/ superstructure?

I use Squadron green for heavy filling and Mr Hobby white for smaller gaps and even Mr Surfacer for very fine hairline gaps.

spacer.png

Had to do a little bit more filling not the kits fault mine should have got it right first time around  :doh:

spacer.png

Started the lower hull painting and then after masking that did the upper works and decking now to mask the deck aint there a lot of masking about 😷

spacer.png  

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 13

37 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

I use Squadron green for heavy filling and Mr Hobby white for smaller gaps and even Mr Surfacer for very fine hairline gaps.

Snap! I must be doing something right then. My formula exactly Beefy.

This one is looking rather good, such speed here, says the man building the slowest Vosper on earth!

Terry

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, longshanks said:

Cute little boat  thingy init....

8 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Ohhhhhhhhh ........Don'tttt

There like Elephants they do not forget it when you put your foot right in it  :elephant:

beefy

• Haha 6

On 01/07/2020 at 19:18, Terry1954 said:

I have it on good authority he has a note excusing his temporary absence, apparently some issue with his desktop PC .................. even on Mars, such problems exist it seems.

Terry

I had a note from General Melchett as it happens.

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

From this photo of HMS Swift in 1985 the life raft canisters look the same as the kit this is what i hope to aim for I have noticed that the kit looks rather bare around the bridge area some more research and details to come I think  :book::idea:

On 7/9/2020 at 1:03 PM, longshanks said:

They have done a song about you naughty boys .....

Kev whatever gave you the impression I was one of the naughty boys...:angel:

20 hours ago, Martian said:

I had a note from General Melchett as it happens.

Nice to see you back Martian hope you can join in with the fun once you are all caught up  😉

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

OK back onto this little one after the fletcher build the desk now has loads of room for me to make a mess on  :whistle:

All the decks have been masked off and the boot top while starting to add some details to the bridge area I noticed that it looks rather plain around the door ways to and from the bridge wings would these have been solid steel or with a window I have some spares so should be able to add something to the details.

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 9