A very civil Tilly.

Let me introduce you to Tilly.

Tilly looks so cute, I didn't want to do a military version, so I've done it as something that a tradesman may have used in the 50's or 60's. 'Jack' was my dad. He didn't have a Tilly, but that's only in this imperfect reality. It isn't intended to be an actual representation of a real vehicle, it's more 'in the spirit of', in the memory of the army of tradesmen who put all the war scarred countries back together.

I know there has been endless debate about whether or not there were any Austin Tillys in the RAF. Even if you are someone who spends all their free time tracing the every Tilly built, and still insist there were never any Austin Tillys in the RAF – I don't care. But if that really is your hobby, thanks for making us modellers look like we are doing something worthy with our time in comparison. My Tilly is ex RAF war surplus, hence the main colour. I've seen photos these old vehicles with some body parts painted in whatever paint was available over the panels that showed signs of it's previous life.

There have been many people who have been very forthright in their views that I never had a father, I honestly did. This is my dad (in his National Service gear) – although I knew him when he was in colour.

Tilly+0.png

Yes, I did inherit my dads looks - I keep them in a box in the loft. He was an electrician and invented the electric blanket… sort of. As his car didn't have a heater, he rigged up a heated pad for the seat. It worked well for a few weeks until it caught fire. Rather that earn millions he ended up with a scorched behind, which pretty much sums up my family. He died in 2017 aged 81 and I still miss him, even though he was a miserable old bugger. He may not have set the world alight with his electric blanket (just a few scorch mark on his bum), but he virtually invented social distancing. Shame he didn't last long enough to see it become popular.

Tilly+1.JPG

I know the cable on the reel in the back is overscale, but I wanted to use it because was from a wooden reel of silver wire he used in the 1950's and 60's, that I found in his shed when he died.

Tilly+2+%2528copy%2529.JPG

The lettering is done free-hand with a white Uni Posca pen – it didn't have to be perfect, knowing my dad he would have painted it himself in this particular alternate reality. His granddad was a signwriter and coach painter, and besides that, he was tight careful with his money.

Tilly+3.JPG

Tilly+4.JPG

I added the rear cab wall and number plates.

And finally, Tilly shown posing with my last build (which is the same scale - 1/48).

Tilly+5.JPG

Thanks for having a ganders. It was a fabulous kit which I recommend.

Gorby

• Like 33

That's a really nice model; even if it isn't 100% accurate to a particular real vehicle it certainly rings true, especially with the charming back story.

• Thanks 1

Very nice build, and it's good having the model mean something too.

As for whether or not there may or may not have been ex-RAF versions of the Tilly, that seems a bit of a redundant argument - it's not exactly beyound the bounds of possibility that there was a load of surplus paint sloshing around after the war which ties in well with the hand-painted look you've gone for with this one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant! Both the model and your post! Even if your dad was a miserable old b. I bet he'd really like 'his' Tilly, even if he wouldn't tell you (my late dad would have been the same :) )

5 hours ago, Gorby said:

But if that really is your hobby, thanks for making us modellers look like we are doing something worthy with our time in comparison.

And the missus is now looking at me with that 'what now' look they have, as I really did burst out laughing out loud at that....!!! 🤣

Top job!

Keith

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment or 'like', it makes a very nice start to the day. :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

Your Father(not Farther) would have loved this.

Thanks for pointing out my somewhat Freudian typo.

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Even if your dad was a miserable old b. I bet he'd really like 'his' Tilly

Yes I think he would like it. I built an Austin 7 for him for his 70th as it was his first car (the A30 in the photo above was his dads car that he was free to borrow). That stayed on his mantelpiece directly in front of his chair until he died.

• Like 1

Nice job Gorby! I have a weak spot for civvy war trucks. Your backstory is rather nice but also rather short and comprehensible. Are you alright? 😇

• Haha 1

On 6/27/2020 at 9:22 PM, Spiny said:

it's not exactly beyound the bounds of possibility that there was a load of surplus paint sloshing around after the war

I think it's still done today i've seen a couple of new cars recently that look as though they're still using up grey paint left over from the Navy,hideous is an understatment...

A litttle beauty Gorby,lovely job...

Edited by Vince1159
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much mates. :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, JeroenS said:

rather short and comprehensible.

It's only a tiny model, so if Id rabbited on as I normally do, poor Tilly would have been completely hidden. As for the comprehensible, there are a few rare days when I am lucid. Although, admittedly not often.

3 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

i've seen a couple of new cars recently that look as though they're still using up grey paint left over from the Navy,hideous is an understatment...

And yet even they probably look better than some cars that are actually painted to make them look like they are burnt-out wrecks. There is one locally, and when I first saw it I thought it had been torched.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gorby said:

And yet even they probably look better than some cars that are actually painted to make them look like they are burnt-out wrecks. There is one locally, and when I first saw it I thought it had been torched.

I'd never heard of that before,imagine seeing a burnt out wreck driving past you,love it....

• Like 1