Old Hound! KP Mil 4 - Finished!!

Joining in this GB, if I may, with a couple of entries - first being the 1/72 KP Mil-4 Hound. I developed a fondness for this aircraft after a visit to Moscow and a ramp tour around Chernoye re-work facility with two of the beast lying around in a state of dis-repair! Have had the kit a few years and its not a bad shape in my opinion. Uniformly moulded with indented panel lines, possibly a little bit simplified around the numerous vents holes, grilles, ports etc . Will be a well used military example and the decals look OK for a few option plus I have a set from Hi-Life to give a load of other options.

From the box...

20200624_202054_resized.jpg

20200624_202057_resized.jpg

20200624_202233_resized.jpg

Always keen to crack open a new kit (who isnt?)  here we are straight away with some extra work - lets open up the vents in the nose for the engine of which there are 18? On the real aircraft these are very noticeable  and the representation on the kit will not do. Its the usual drill each corner then scalpel between and the file with micro-files to get the shape as close as possible. One done 17 to go!! Quite thick plastic which helps with this job but will leave a depth between the outer skin and where the mesh/grille will sit.

20200625_203558_resized.jpg

I notice there is the HobbyBoss version in the GB as well, so an interesting comparison coming up. Any way looking forward to building my first chopper for 40? years.....

• Like 11

Delighted you chose us after that 40 years wait !

That decal sheet looks amazing you will have enough spare decals on that for the next 40 years.

Good luck with the build 

cheers Pat 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Delighted you chose us after that 40 years wait !

That decal sheet looks amazing you will have enough spare decals on that for the next 40 years.

Good luck with the build 

cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat. As ever, and like most of us, we have great ideas in our monds for future builds - so you never know! Aeroflot versions were quite smart back in the day and I wouldnt mind doing and Indian AF or DDR version.... see how this one goes first. I have to say to start with, the kit internals positioning seem to be 'intuitive'..... JP

• Like 2

Not seen a KP kit for far longer than I care to think about but they did cool subjects and this is one of them :thumbsup:

• Like 1

OK a bit of progress. All vent holes cut out

20200626_205351_resized.jpg

20200628_164013_resized.jpg

20200628_202329_resized.jpg

Which mesh to use????? Tea bag, coffee pot filter, stainless insect gauze or 1mm alu mesh......

20200627_113308_resized.jpg

Alu mesh wins out as most practical - here glued into place with pva glue, after the superglue got the better of me!

20200629_204423_resized.jpg

Now away to start the Autogyros!

• Like 9

Nice start, though I do wish you hadn't drilled out the grills (good job btw) as I now feel pressured to do the same with the HB kit I've deigned to build!! I do have the excuse that I don't own any appropriate wire mesh...….

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 7/4/2020 at 7:15 AM, ForestFan said:

Nice start, though I do wish you hadn't drilled out the grills (good job btw) as I now feel pressured to do the same with the HB kit I've deigned to build!! I do have the excuse that I don't own any appropriate wire mesh...….

ForestFan - apologies for the grilles - no pressure intended. Do what you normally do and it will be fine. I just felt the KP kit needed an enhancement here. The kit plastic is quite thick here so the grilles not as sharp as you might like. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Have you had a chance to make any more progress, you were going great when we last heard from you.

Cheers Pat 

Pat

Not much, as I pushed on with the autogyros. Fuselage is together and so is the coffee pot!! Will be back on it soon - deliberating on colourscheme now.....

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to change the cockpit colour to a more likely light blue.... Added some fictitious cockpit details to busy it up

20200814_135554_resized.jpg

20200815_161811_resized.jpg

Have dipped the main glazing in Klear and so we are ready to get this glued in place and start to close it up. Looking forward to the painting but not assembling the spindly undercarriage!

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Whoops been too long since last post and time is marching on to end of the GB. Got some primer on today though, which shows up the usual seam lines.

20200925_140639_resized.jpg

Another picture plus the kit exhaust (middle) which looks a little anemic and solid so I might upgrade with a piece of alu (too small diameter) or plastic tubing drilled out, which will need a bit of heat applied to achieve a curve.....

20200925_140715_resized.jpg

Any way hope to get some paint on this weekend - 3 weeks to the end of the GB!

Edited by Jpthedog
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

D Day! Last day of GB and as usual I am working to the deadline! 

State of play  Saturday afternoon....

20201017_104845_resized.jpg

My preferred wheel painting method..., cut out masks and then spray the hubs... my brush painting skills not good enough freehand!

20201017_125353_resized.jpg

And we are finished.... well as far as I am going with this one today

20201018_095911_resized.jpg

One pic as a teaser. Quite difficult to photograph the helicopter with the blades on! Panel wash, then an average attempt at weathering with some oils. I think to do the weathering well you need to let go and I always bottle out of really going for it. Any way final pics in the gallery. Thanks for hosting this busy GB, JP

• Like 5

• Jpthedog changed the title to Old Hound! KP Mil 4 - Finished!!

Nice work! It's interesting to see all the Mi-4 kits in this thread, all very different in approach. The opened bonnet grills look great, and the plain green and blue scheme is a classic - I was planning to do mine like that until I saw the pic of the civil one.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice work! It's interesting to see all the Mi-4 kits in this thread, all very different in approach. The opened bonnet grills look great, and the plain green and blue scheme is a classic - I was planning to do mine like that until I saw the pic of the civil one.

Regards,

Adrian

Cheers Adrian. Yes Mil 4's seem popular. Green and blue not hugely interesting scheme, but hey ho. The civil one is really different and turned out well from the original kit.