CF-104 Starfighter AETE- 1/48 Kinetic

Hi,

Please find my latest build the Kinetic Starfighter converted to a CF-104 used by AETE and in early 1970's markings.

Probably the most challenging build I have ever done. I made some unnecessary errors along the way, which are described in detail in a WIP thread that I did over the past few weeks.

So for anyone interested in my blunders....🤣

Thankfully I received a lot of information from our Canadian Britmodelers, some who had worked in the RCAF/CAF and some who worked on the actual CF-104's. Thanks again, for your help. 

I did make a few compromises here and there, all described in the WIP, but now that it is finished...... Am reasonably happy with it.

Aftermarket I used:

Belcher weapons set

Master-model pitot (Changed it last minute)

Master casters CF-104 wheel set

Belcher decals 

Mini magnets for bombs and pylons attachment

Paints:

AK xtreme metal

Some Alclad  for individual panels (applied last)

Mr Color super Italian red (Tail)

Tamiya XF-12 J.N. grey (for the underside of the wings)

Flory dark brown wash

The kit does actually allow you to build a CF-104, also the later versions with the sensors under the nose and tail. It's all there ready on the sprues, just not mentioned in the manual.

Anyway, hope you like it:

SyMQnvc.jpg

The model was based on below photograph. I also thought it nice to accompany it with the shown weapon load out.

I always thought of the Starfighter as a fast interceptor, but some countries used it for the tactical/nuclear role as I found out.

yxJKU8Z.jpg

The wing tanks are converted to house camera's and also visible is a detachable orange camera pod behind the nose gear. I tried to incorporate these details as well.

1lyfkRu.jpg

HVyf7WT.jpg

Courtesy of my wife's mirrored cake stand;

F18r8j1.jpg?1

2MQVCik.jpg

vBOjnyz.jpg?1

xa18bcg.jpg

BiLZYd9.jpg

2HvkkrG.jpg

fpNM2jg.jpg

onzgB0b.jpg

9qdximx.jpg?1

qc8EgYG.jpg

Wm4kUbN.jpg?1

HVyf7WT.jpg

Tnj0RCF.jpg

7kv7CPi.jpg?1

By the way, not sure if I have the centre pylon the right way around........but then again........ it's attached with 2 magnets, so can flip it around👍

That's all, thanks for watching......

Regards,

Rob

• Like 57

Exceptional effort and end result. Captures the character and elegance of the Super Starfighter most excellently. 

• Thanks 1

Beautiful eye candy you've created. Your photography is excellent as well. Great builds are always good for making modellers run out and buying another kit for their stash, and yours does the job.

Thanks for sharing the results.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, baldwin8 said:

Beautiful eye candy you've created. Your photography is excellent as well. Great builds are always good for making modellers run out and buying another kit for their stash, and yours does the job.

Thanks for sharing the results.

Craig,

Thanks for your help with this build.

There were times I wanted to seize the build but because of all the material you, Steve, Scott, fubar57 and others participating in the thread had sent and the effort you all  took I decided to battle it out.

Many thanks. Was all very much appreciated.

Regards,

Rob

• Like 2

Rob....

By the way, not sure if I have the centre pylon the right way around........but then again........ it's attached with 2 magnets, so can flip it around

A very nice job!  However, with regards to your stmt above … the centreline pylon  as in you RFI photos , is indeed reversed.  On the CF-104 (single seaters), the pylon is angled fwd (narrow point at the front).  It's only the CF-104D's (dual seats) that have a centreline pylon that is parallel to the ground.

Scott

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, phildagreek said:

I followed your WIP and I know at times the kit fought you but you have won, that is quite stunning, really well done!

Thanks Phil,

Sure wasn't an easy build. Next time a build one I will just follow the instructions and keep my desk a little tidier 🙂

Thanks for the comment.

Rgds

Rob

• 3 years later...

Four years later and with the possibility of an F-104 STGB for 2025, this is a fantastic reference! The workmanship is amazing and all of the uniquely Canadian characteristics have been dealt with beautifully. You also had some great company for references. Anyone building a Kinetic 104 would find this very useful.

Outstanding job!

Cheers

Jeff

• Thanks 1

Superb Starfighter.  :clap:   I have the Kinetic CF-104 boxing of this kit which has one of the options this red tailed test aircraft, but with the earlier Union Flag on the tail.  I'm hoping to get to build it like that as it reminds me of the old Airfix box art.

• Like 1