Sisters (an AH-1 "Kisarazu special" double build)

Well time to let the glue follow the posts and start with my entry for this GB.

I will be building the AH-1 Cobra Kisarazu Special 2012/2013 double kit with a flamboyant livery depicting two of the four Kisarazu sisters (anime girl mascots of the 4th ATHS). So without further ado: the obligatory box shot:

2020-06-25_05-10-39

Here are some more shots of the sprues (of course there are two sets of those in the kit):

kisarazu sisters

A close-up of the decals - the highlight of the kit:

kisarazu sisters

While the artwork was originally placed only on one side of the  choppers, I intend to decal the right hand side of the cobras as well - because I can ;)

kisarazu sisters

And now for the extras: Cockpit masks and the cannon which I may or may not replace:

kisarazu sisters

I also got the right colors! This is my first brush (excuse the pun) with Tamyia colors, so I hope all goes well with the thinning (I probably will airbrush the models, but then again looking at the camouflage pattern I am not sure the hairy sit wouldn't be faster & easier.

kisarazu sisters

The kit itself seems to be fairly straight-forward (famous last words!). At least there won't be many issues with the landing gear ;)

Wish me luck and watch this space.

• Like 9

2 Cobras in the same build, whats not to like !

With Eggplanes and Anime characters I'm surprised we haven't got a Japanese member of BM building an old Sikorski just to even things up !

Good luck with these

Cheers Pat

Update no. 1.

I started with the first Cobra. Te fit is excellent as one would expect from Hasegawa. The cockpit is on the bland side with black in black colors. I will probably add a little tan/olive drab to the seats liven things up, as I don't intend to insert the supplied pilots.

DSC_4854

The current state of play: note that the cannon, canopy and the skids are just loosely fitted.  

The build is proceeding very quickly and I am considering starting the second helicopter tomorrow.

Before I do this, a question to the more advanced colleagues: How do you transfer the camouflage pattern to the chopper? Do you just wing it freehand or do you have some tips how to make it more uniform?

• Like 3

I would scan the instructions/painting guide, and print off once they were 1/72. Then transfer/trace onto masking tape - the demarcation between colours is a hard edge on these airframes I think.

Are you airbrushing or using brush?

49151012783_06a17dd602_c.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marcin Kaminski said:

that is a great tip and also a great image as a reference for me! I intended to airbrush, but brushing is also an option if it proves more suitable it this case.

Either way I think I would use the mask - with brush painting you might get more of an edge between the colours, but easy enough to gently rub it down.

Nice start Marcin :) 

1 hour ago, Marcin Kaminski said:

...the supplied pilots.

Now there's something you don't read often about modern kits :( Seems crew figures are in short supply these days for those of us who like to add them.

• Like 1

Update No. 2

2020-06-30_06-54-26

I build the second machine as far as the first one. Today i will do some cockpit painting as well as start applying the camo to both machines. If things proceed as smooth as until now I should finish the machine by the weekend.

• Like 7

Great to see the JGSDF being represented here, and on Cobras too, fantastic!

A word of warning regarding the paints, I built a 1/48 JGSDF AH-1 a couple of years ago and intended to use the same paints but they are not the right colours, certainly not the brown anyway. The OD might be okay but the brown is way off, take a look at the picture posted above by Jinxman and you will see that the colour is a reddish brown, the colour for the small stripes is actually a faded black.

20 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Great to see the JGSDF being represented here, and on Cobras too, fantastic!

A word of warning regarding the paints, I built a 1/48 JGSDF AH-1 a couple of years ago and intended to use the same paints but they are not the right colours, certainly not the brown anyway. The OD might be okay but the brown is way off, take a look at the picture posted above by Jinxman and you will see that the colour is a reddish brown, the colour for the small stripes is actually a faded black.

Yes, i saw that. I tried to take the vallejo mud brown for the first one, but this in turn is slightly too reddish.

Which is why I now, as in right now ;) boughy the vallejo sandy brown. Hopefully at least one of the Cobras will turn out alright. ;)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Pat,

are twins are on hold, as I have to finish the "Kid you build as a kid" entries before them. August is not looking good in terms of modelling time, but September should give me ample opportunity to finish the project.