Aoshima Beemax Toyota Celica GT Four 1990 Safari Rally

I’ve now completed this kit , build mainly at weekends during lockdown , time usually spent watching F1 and BTCC . This is the second Aoshima Beemax kit I’ve built. I find them easy to build with  good decals . Only let down is the rather vague instruction manual. It’s an OOB build , but I did buy some Marlboro decals from Spotmodels .  The biggest problems I had were the pop up headlight fitment and trying to keep the black bumper rubbing strips looking tidy , which the camera has highlighted ! Here’s the finished photos . I’ve included two other Safari Toyotas , the Aoshima  Celica TC Turbo I built last year and a Tamiya Celica GT Four I built in , I think about 1993 . 
   Thanks for looking , Gary . 
50050127763_329df83e99_c_d.jpg
50050951737_c3a3a02256_c_d.jpg
50050952192_616938dab0_c_d.jpg

50050128563_e5af0ef275_c_d.jpg
50050128618_a1562d37a5_c_d.jpg
50050128513_67f2f66cd0_c_d.jpg
50050983012_645b4fc1ec_c_d.jpg
50050729786_509cfa393a_c_d.jpg
50050982777_7dcbe72f72_c_d.jpg
50050128858_ebcb6d2ed9_c_d.jpg

• Like 15

You are probably more aware of the rough edges than any other observer, not to mention the ability of the camera to pick up just about every defect.  It looks really good (I always liked that shape of Celica) and it's a great collection with the other rallying Celicas.  Is there a rally version of the next Celica?  I'm not that well up on the terminology but the slightly ungainly early 1990s one and the 1995-ish model would complete the set, I assume?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johnlambert said:

You are probably more aware of the rough edges than any other observer, not to mention the ability of the camera to pick up just about every defect.  It looks really good (I always liked that shape of Celica) and it's a great collection with the other rallying Celicas.  Is there a rally version of the next Celica?  I'm not that well up on the terminology but the slightly ungainly early 1990s one and the 1995-ish model would complete the set, I assume?

Thanks . Yes , my eyes are drawn to the defects ! This Celica is an ST165 ,  the curvier ST185 is the sister car on the group shot . It also is usually seen in red and white Castrol colours . Finally came the infamous ST205  which was the one with the illegal turbo restrictor bypass that got Toyota a worldwide motorsport ban in 1995 . There's a Tamiya kit of ST205,  but as a road car . I think I've seen a transkit for a rally conversion though . 

Gary.   

3 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

GORGEOUS  models.

I bet your eyes hurt after all that decaling.   :wicked:

Sweet work.

:goodjob:    :clap:

The decals went on really well,  it's the rubber painting that gets me ! Thanks for your kind comments.  

Gary . 

4 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

Thanks . Yes , my eyes are drawn to the defects ! This Celica is an ST165 ,  the curvier ST185 is the sister car on the group shot . It also is usually seen in red and white Castrol colours . Finally came the infamous ST205  which was the one with the illegal turbo restrictor bypass that got Toyota a worldwide motorsport ban in 1995 . There's a Tamiya kit of ST205,  but as a road car . I think I've seen a transkit for a rally conversion though . 

Gary.   

For some reason I hadn't spotted that there was a ST185 in the group shot, I thought it was another ST165.

Just now, johnlambert said:

For some reason I hadn't spotted that there was a ST185 in the group shot, I thought it was another ST165.

Yes , similar colour scheme,  only curvier . 

Gary . 

• Like 1

Really nice work on all three Gary, cracking line up of Toyotas!

27 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

I think I've seen a transkit for a rally conversion though . 

There was, by 'Racing 43 Big Model'. IIRC it was mainly white metal - I had one with Marlboro decals and the road car base model, but like many others I now regret, I sold them on... I'd think the two would now fetch substantially more than I got!  🤣

Keith

• Like 1

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Really nice work on all three Gary, cracking line up of Toyotas!

There was, by 'Racing 43 Big Model'. IIRC it was mainly white metal - I had one with Marlboro decals and the road car base model, but like many others I now regret, I sold them on... I'd think the two would now fetch substantially more than I got!  🤣

Keith

Hi , Keith . Thanks for your kind comments. I keep promising myself to buy the ST 205 kit and keep a look out for the rally trans kit . If I built it , it would complete my Toyota collection. A mate used to have a road ST 205 back in the day . Other mates had Imprezzas at the time and the Toyota was a lot faster and kicked the back out easier . 
Gary . 

• Like 1