Hasegawa MV-22B Osprey

My entry for this groupbuild will be Hasegawa's MV-22B Osprey.

spacer.png

I have been fascinated by this aircraft since I first saw one, especially the way it folds its wings/rotors for storage.

So ambitiously I am going to try and build it in the folder configuration. Haven't been able to find a kit that offers this, barr some 1/350 offerings. Also haven't managed to find a builr example on the inlet. My googling however suggest that the Hasegawa kit might be the best option to start with. To help I have purchased some resin to help the build.

spacer.png

• Like 17

Not only an interesting subject choice but those extras and your plan to model it all folded away for storage is going to add a lot to this project :thumbsup:

Hi Jb

Its worth lining up all the Black Dog rotor blades next to each other. I also bought thar set with the same idea, however in my Black Dog set all the rotor blades were identical. There should be 3 left hand and 3 right hand blades as the rotors rotate in opposite directions. Hasegawa have their blades right so its easy to compare.

I queried Black Dog about this but got no reply.

regards Toby

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't made a proper start, but had a spare 1/2 hour so did some dry-fitting  to see if a folded option was possible.

Normal configuration.

spacer.png

Folded Configuration

spacer.png

Based on the above, a folded option is definitely a goer. Given the parts breakdown and way the kit goes together I would say Hasegawa considered a folding option at some point Still leaves a bit of work to fill ibn the gaps.

spacer.png 

The only other decision is whether I open up the side access door. This would need further scratch building as there is no internal detail provided in the cargo bay.

This will definitely push my skills. 

• Like 8

A good choice. I have wanted to do a folded up Osprey, even got the engine set but I have not looked much further into it. Seeing now that it might be done without an update set for the wings I will look into this for the future. Will follow with interest and hope that all goes well with your build.

With the extra work required to fold the wing/rotors I'm sure we can forgive you for leaving the door closed ;) 

@Col. Decision made, in for a penny in for a pound, I decided to open up the side door.

Before putting a knife to the fuselage I made a template of the doors using masking tape.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Surgery was then carried out. Took me about 30mins, but happy with the result.

spacer.png

Of course open up the side doors means you can see into the cargo bay. The kit doesn't provide a cargo bay so need to look at scratch building a simple bay, to give the impression that there something there. So will be looking to install a floor and two rows of seats. The photos in the walkaround section are proving very helpful.

spacer.png

Finally for today, the main wing and tail were assembled.

spacer.png

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

@Jabba @Col. Thanks very much. I was very happy with how it came out. 

Over the last week I spent time on the internals, blocking the gaps in the roof.

spacer.png

Then created some internal seating from plastic strip, based on photos I found online.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Made a second set for the other side (forgot to take a photo) before joining the fuselage halves. Although having dry-fitted everything 

the seats are really visible through the side door, but at least I know they are there. I rally enjoyed this bit of strachbuilding.

spacer.png

• Like 7

Hasegawa provided decals for the instrument panel and side panels. I used the decals on the side panels that had no molded detail and painted the main instrument panel.

spacer.png

IP installed and making tape harness added to the seats.

spacer.png

Used some scrap plastic card to fill in the gaps in the wing pivot joint. Photos also show the resin engine that will be installed, nicely detailed is going to take some painting to do it justice.

spacer.png

Main fuselage primed.

spacer.png

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not a lot of progress to report. Model was put to one side whilst I attempted a blitzbuild over the bank holiday weekend. Since then I don't seem have found a lot of bench time.

Just been decalling. Starting with the walkways. Main walkway were supplied as a single decal that covered booth the fuselage/movable wing section. Decal was applied with the wings in the flying position and when set a new scalpel blade was use to cut the decal along the break between the fuselage/wing section.

spacer.png

spacer.png

With the fuselage & wings decaled, I will not start work on the access door, engines and rotors.

• Like 8

@Planebuilder62 Haven't started the rotors yet. The picture below shows what I have to work with. Don't suppose your set included six left handed blades?

spacer.png

The resin blade cuffs(?) look usable, so think about using the kit blades, removing the cuff. Will need to modify the spinners and drill and pin the replacement cuffs to fix them in place.

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 2