Mustangs in Korea - radiator outlet question

After seeing some excellent builds on the recent Group Build of Mustangs, I decided to build an Airfix P-51D (1/72) as flown by the South African Air Force in Korea. 

I have a question about the radiator outlet towards the rear of the aircraft.  I have learnt this was automatically opened and closed - I assume regulated by the engine temperature. I have a picture of one of these aircraft just about to taxi out with two ground crew pulling away the chocks, and thought that would make a great display setting.  Unfortunately, with the picture angle, you can't see if the radiator outlet is up or down. 

I was wondering the the outlet would be open or closed at this point.

I suspect the answer will be "it depends" and it really does not matter what I do in the end - but was curious to know if anyone here had any suggestions.

Engine running on the ground, I'd say open- but that's not a Mustang-specific observation.  You can undoubtedly find some YouTube videos of Warbird Mustangs taxiing for take-off, which will both answer (?) the question and give you more inspiration!

Edited by gingerbob

4 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Engine running on the ground, I'd say open- but that's not a Mustang-specific observation.  You can undoubtedly find some YouTube videos of Warbird Mustangs taxiing for take-off, which will both answer (?) the question and give you more inspiration!

Many thanks for the advice @gingerbob - will hunt down some videos and see what they show but the logic of open radiators when you don't have cruising speed air keeping the engine cool makes sense.

Did someone say galloping ponies?

From my airpower playlist :)

Also great reference material for exhaust staining on P-51s.

• Like 4

On 6/27/2020 at 10:37 AM, Anthony Kesterton said:

After seeing some excellent builds on the recent Group Build of Mustangs, I decided to build an Airfix P-51D (1/72) as flown by the South African Air Force in Korea. 

I have a question about the radiator outlet towards the rear of the aircraft.  I have learnt this was automatically opened and closed - I assume regulated by the engine temperature. I have a picture of one of these aircraft just about to taxi out with two ground crew pulling away the chocks, and thought that would make a great display setting.  Unfortunately, with the picture angle, you can't see if the radiator outlet is up or down. 

I was wondering the the outlet would be open or closed at this point.

I suspect the answer will be "it depends" and it really does not matter what I do in the end - but was curious to know if anyone here had any suggestions.

You're correct: it makes no difference what you do as it might be in any position: it changes all the time in auto. It does not start to open until the coolant temp is 90 degrees celcius, and it is fully open at a coolant temp of 110 degrees.  SOP on the Merlin Mustang is to start the engine in auto and leave it there until shut-down unless something goes wrong.

If you started a stone cold engine and immediately pulled the chocks you would be rolling off chocks with it closed, but you don't move immediately after engine start in an aeroplane the way you would in a car.  You have checks to do, and there is no point taxiing until such time as you believe the oil will be hot enough to allow you to perform the power checks and cycle the prop by the time you reach the holding point (it being far better to clutter up the dispersal than the holding point). 

So the reality of the rad flap position when you are coming off chocks probably depends more than anything on what weather you postulate for the day in Korea on which you want to represent the aeroplane. Some days were hot, some days were very cold indeed.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Anthony Kesterton said:

Perfect reference video @alt-92 - every one has the radiator outlet open.  Thank you!

Only a reference for the absolute height of a Korean summer though. That's at Oshkosh in a stinking hot summer (it's ALWAYS stinking hot at AirVenture, often 35 degrees). It's no warmer in South Korea and average summer highs outside the city are generally no more than around 29 to 30 degrees. At the airfield sites outside Seoul in the winter it often sub-zero all day in winter.

Edited by Work In Progress