A Pair of Ponies over the line

Hi all,

The Australian Capital Territory Scale Model Society (ACTSMS) here in Canberra runs an annual competition called "The Kittyhawk Cup", where all participants must build the same kit, out of the box. This year, the kit selected is the series of Airfix 1/48 Mustangs (any of the boxings). Kits must be built OOB, with the option to utilise other decals. I haven't entered the competition for a very long time, and have no real idea about Mustangs (being mainly a WW1 aircraft guy), but I decided to enter anyways.  Not only that, but I also foolishly decided to build not one, but two Mustangs, both at the same time.... eek! I selected their P-51D and Mustang IV.

eUvme5W.jpg

The Airfix kit really is lovely, with few vices. The cockpit and wheels wells are a treat out of the box.

QYlYCZv.jpg

mjWi8bq.jpg

zexQtiJ.jpg

dwqMejD.jpg

The complex fuselage / inserts presented no problems. I had some problems with the fit of the undercarriage bay, which messed with the fit of the under-nose / inboard lower leading edge piece; this was probably my fault, but it did necessitate the use of some filler, some sanding and some re-scribing. The let down with this kit are the wheels – the diamond tread stops well short of the centre of the wheel halves, and this area requires a bit of clean up and re-scribing (which I did a rubbish job on). The only other slightly odd thing in this kit is the canopy – no amount of mucking about could get it to sit right, so I settled for “good enough”.

Anyway, the two ponies are now across the line! Onto the final results…

uU9vkMp.jpg

The P-51D was originally going to be an OD / Grey camouflaged machine, but eventually was built to represent “Contrary Mary”, 44-474251, flown by Lt.Col Roy Blair Caviness, Commander of the 78th Fighter Group, Duxford, England, August 1945. The decals came from the Lifelike Decals set 48-052. These decals were fantastic, conforming nicely and responding very positively to decal softener.  All of the checkerboard markings were masked and sprayed… though I now have a new-found appreciation for compound curves, the result was less than perfect, but it’ll do.  The NMF was attempted by using Alclads (6 or 7 different shades in total), which looked lovely, but various clear coats dulled them down a little so it all now just looks ‘silver’. Oh well. There is only one known photograph of this machine, and it wasn’t heavily weathered, so I kept it relatively clean.

7fo0kom.jpg

Hm6OFh2.jpg

tKtqw0S.jpg

LCb10FJ.jpg

QC1BVyG.jpg

MT4GnsU.jpg

eVdLhpd.jpg

KHeKNyP.jpg

1WIsqC2.jpg

The Mustang IV was built to represent KH745 “BAE”, flown by Group Captain Brian A Eaton, previously of 3SQN, Royal Australian Air Force. This was his personal aircraft while the head of Number 239 Wing, based in Cervia, Italy, April 1945. He flew this aircraft frequently with 3SQN, RAAF. This machine carried the perforated engine grills, similar to US machines. The decals came from the Freightdog Models “Keeping the Peace Pt.I” set, FSD48009. Again, these decals were lovely. NMF was again Alclads. The pictures of this machine also show relatively little weathering, so I dirtied her up a little, but not too much.

mcp7XwZ.jpg

S1KYZtF.jpg

4hF82Ok.jpg

sOwJELC.jpg

bT3KAcH.jpg

hkqkFj7.jpg

Kny3W2U.jpg

So, the two ponies are done. Apologies to all of the Mustang aficionados out there – I know very little about Mustangs so there is no doubt I mucked up plenty of things. I feel the need to paint something drab now…!

Thanks for looking, and all feedback welcomed!

Cheers,

BC

• Like 44
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Brad Cancian said:

Apologies to all of the Mustang aficionados out there – I know very little about Mustangs so there is no doubt I mucked up plenty of things. I feel the need to paint something drab now…!

Well if there is mucking up there I can’t see it. :D

Two lovely models there and ones to be proud of. The checkers are brilliant

Truly beautiful, and I do mean BEAUTIFUL, builds. Metal finish is excellent and the markings are just gorgeous. 

Superior pair of Ponies, and that chequered nose is just fabulous!

I wouldn't call it 'mucking up', but NMF P-51:s were not completely natural metal. At least the forward half of the wing up to the mainspar was puttied, sanded down and painted with silver dope – all to create a perfectly smooth surface, without any visible rivets or panel joints, for the laminar flow wing profile to work best.

Marvellous modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Absolutely wonderful!

I've an Eduard 1/48th Scale P51D that I'm also going to build into "Contrary Mary" (in her current "TF" twin Seater form), can I ask which shades/types/names of Alclad that you used, the type/name of Clear coat & the Drab Green just ahead of the Canopy also? I would really like to use the same ones & (try) to replicate your outstanding build. 

Beautiful work & thanks in advance!

Edited by KB78
Paint question.