Hurricane Trio - Arma and Airfix 1/72

On 8/17/2020 at 12:59 PM, CedB said:

Still 23+º so slow still :( 

Today now acceptable 28°C, but  tomorrow over 30° C again. Hopefully for the last time this year. And  "Nach der Hitze kommen die Blitze" ( After the heat the lightnings will strike.) on Friday  Then only somehow 20°C for the next week. Thankfully!

Nice progress on the three ones. Good job on those.

Cheers

Edited by bbudde
Bad typing without glasses. Again. I hate glasses.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 17/08/2020 at 14:13, hendie said:

that's a nice looking paint job Ced, though poor luck with the paint lifting.  You must have been short on hamsters for your mojo sacrifice.

Thanks Hendie :rofl:

On 17/08/2020 at 18:39, Spookytooth said:

Nowt that you won`t be able to sort Ced.

All looking sweet from here.

Simon.

True, thanks Simon - sorted with some thinned paint :) 

On 17/08/2020 at 19:15, Cookenbacher said:

The waiting is the hardest part.

Worth it!

Also true Cookie, thanks! :) 

On 17/08/2020 at 19:47, keefr22 said:

Not sure, but I wouldn't have thought IPA would harm enamels. Why not brush some out on some plasticard and try it?

They are looking nice!

Keith

On 17/08/2020 at 19:57, Heather Kay said:

It might actually lift CC enamels. I’ve just cleaned some glazed panels on my Fiat build with neat IPA, and the cotton bud showed signs of the frame paint. I suspect it wouldn’t hurt at all if the paint has cured for a few days. Less than a day and it seems to wipe away if you’re not careful.

On 17/08/2020 at 20:10, AliGauld said:

I'm not certain leaving it to cure would help.

When I built my Sea Vixen I applied a dark dirt wash too early before the clear coat had time to cure properly and I had to use IPA to get the stains out. There were traces of the paint coats on the kitchen towel as I did this and the paint had been curing for about 4 days whilst I was working.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Keith, Heather and Ali. I had some CC thinners out while touching up and thought 'the worse that can happen is it thins the paint' so I brushed some on and wiped the sticky off with a cotton bud - worked fine! :) 

On 18/08/2020 at 13:38, 2996 Victor said:

Great looking camo, Ced! It's been well worth the wait to see the results of the unmasking. Not far to the finish line, now, eh? ;)

Kind regards,

Mark

Thanks mark - not much to do but mojo low… getting there :) 

On 18/08/2020 at 13:43, The Spadgent said:

Excellent news about the tape residue. I’ll bank that fix. 🙌

Thanks johnny :) 

On 19/08/2020 at 19:14, bbudde said:

Today now acceptable 28°C, but  tomorrow over 30° C again. Hopefully for the last time this year. And  "Nach der Hitze kommen die Blitze" ( After the heat the lightnings will strike.) on Friday  Then only somehow 20°C for the next week. Thankfully!

Nice progress on the three ones. Good job on those.

Cheers

Still 23º here Ben and the mojo's still low :( I have managed something though…

Busy week not modelling.

Couple of Blink cameras installed after a spate of car 'break ins' in the area. Weird - four neighbours have gone to their cars and found them unlocked and some (thankfully minor) contents missing. There's a toe rag about and we're a Neighbourhood Watch area for goodness sake!

New parasol delivered today with its 90kg base (ugh). Too windy to assemble but in the garage, waiting…

I did have enough mojo to dob some ClearFix into the Airfix signal light:

50252039262_45a5f3c7e8_z.jpg

Put some red/green pen in the Arma nav lights and checked to see if that extra lump goes around the LE - it does:

50251205798_001853f9e3_z.jpg

While I was touching up the lifted paint, cleaned off the tape residue with CC thinners:

50251890781_a74438085c_z.jpg

Hopefully the mojo will improve tomorrow.

• Like 19

It sucks when the mojo is off. I was hoping to have a couple of days on the FE8 this weekend, now I have to fix a slow puncture. 

You can do it, 23c is nothing!

Ian

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Brandy said:

I was hoping to have a couple of days on the FE8 this weekend

Have you finished that Battle yet? I thought I was a butterfly modeller, skipping around and barely settling on one build. You should see the part-built railway models I need to get on with!

• Haha 4

Just now, Heather Kay said:

Have you finished that Battle yet? I thought I was a butterfly modeller, skipping around and barely settling on one build. You should see the part-built railway models I need to get on with!

The simple answer is no. I started the FE8 as a lockdown group build on the vac/resin builders Facebook page (which no one else seems to have entered!) and now have to finish it. I will then return to the Battle, and also the Mercedes SSKL Matchbox kit which I'm part way through.  I seem to have got into a multiple build situation since my relocation and I need to get out of it!

Ian

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Still 23º here Ben and the mojo's still low :( 

I thought there would come a stormfront today with cooler weather but that wasn't that as usual. Very humid now with some heavy showers Just saw the weather forecast and they showed the temperature over the last 24h in Soest near the lake Möhne It was 22°C before midnight and increased from 4.00-6.00 am. up to 28° C :hypnotised:.  Very strange as its the coldest part of the night normally.

Cheers and confused now

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I do hope so. I’ve been missing my "Ced builds a fabulous model in a few minutes" fix. :waiting:

If he doesn’t hurry up there’s a risk @The Baron will catch him up.  :wicked:

AW

• Haha 5

On 8/21/2020 at 5:51 PM, Brandy said:

now I have to fix a slow puncture.

Those trousers giving trouble again Ian?

inflatable-pants11.jpg?iv=115o

On 8/21/2020 at 5:01 PM, CedB said:

Hopefully the mojo will improve tomorrow.

We all hope so too Ced. :grouphug:

May you be energized and carried swiftly from the doldrums that strike us all from time-to-time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 1

On 8/21/2020 at 7:00 PM, Heather Kay said:

Butterfly modeller !! Thanks Heather !!

That's a so nice expression !! I think that I fit in this too...

Dully saved in my files.

Nice Hurries Ced !!

Would you a pint of Rocket fuel to respark the mojo ??

CC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 21/08/2020 at 17:01, CedB said:

Couple of Blink cameras installed after a spate of car 'break ins' in the area. Weird - four neighbours have gone to their cars and found them unlocked and some (thankfully minor) contents missing. There's a toe rag about and we're a Neighbourhood Watch area for goodness sake!

A few years ago Angela went out to the diesel Hyundai Tucson we had then (I was at work) and started it; it made the most horrendous noise and so startled she was she switched it off.  A neighbour who happened to be outside his house came over and said “that didn't sound right” to her (if ever there was an understatement I think that was it.) 

he had a look underneath and discovered the Catalytic converter and front part of the exhaust was missing. It had been stolen - probably overnight.

Quick call to the insurance company breakdown and about 2 hours later the car was recovered and taken to the hyundai dealer we bought it from for a tres expensive replacement. (I only paid the excess)

And over a period of a couple of days either side of ours being done, another 20 diesel cars had their cats stolen. 

The front of our house looks like a film set now - lights, camera, no action !

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

5 minutes ago, Whofan said:

A few years ago Angela went out to the diesel Hyundai Tucson we had then (I was at work) and started it; it made the most horrendous noise and so startled she was she switched it off.  A neighbour who happened to be outside his house came over and said that didn't sound right to her (if ever there was an understatement I think that was it.) 

he had a look underneath and discovered the Catalytic converter and front part of the exhaust was missing. It had been stolen - probably overnight.

Quick call to the insurance company breakdown and about 2 hours later the car was recovered and taken to the hyundai dealer we bought it from for a tres expensive replacement. (I only paid the excess)

And over a period of a couple of days either side of ours being done, another 20 diesel cars had their cats stolen. 

Catalytic converters use platinum and some other rare elements in the internal matrix. Used converters can be recycled and those elements recovered. That's why these get stolen. Last year, a charity in Edmonton had the converter stolen off their truck/bus 3 times.

Chris

• Sad 5

58 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Catalytic converters use platinum and some other rare elements in the internal matrix. Used converters can be recycled and those elements recovered. That's why these get stolen. Last year, a charity in Edmonton had the converter stolen off their truck/bus 3 times.

Chris

We knew why the catalytic convertrs had been stolen, as for the charity, there are some words I am not really supposed to use on Britmodeller to describe the scum who did that.

I would also use them to describe the scum who did our car, too.

• Like 3

Hi Ced,

hope the mojo is popping up ;) (although I can't say much...!)

Just had to ask this question, though - will an Arma Hurricane Mk.IIB be joining the Mk.I throng in due course?

All the best,

Mark

• Like 1

On 21/08/2020 at 17:17, Heather Kay said:

I do hope so. I’ve been missing my "Ced builds a fabulous model in a few minutes" fix. :waiting:

:rofl2: Thanks Heather - hopefully the old mojo will be back soon!

On 21/08/2020 at 17:51, Brandy said:

It sucks when the mojo is off. I was hoping to have a couple of days on the FE8 this weekend, now I have to fix a slow puncture. 

You can do it, 23c is nothing!

Ian

Life (and heat) always gets in the way eh? :)

On 21/08/2020 at 18:48, bbudde said:

I thought there would come a stormfront today with cooler weather but that wasn't that as usual. Very humid now with some heavy showers Just saw the weather forecast and they showed the temperature over the last 24h in Soest near the lake Möhne It was 22°C before midnight and increased from 4.00-6.00 am. up to 28° C :hypnotised:.  Very strange as its the coldest part of the night normally.

Cheers and confused now

We've had heavy rain and wind here too Ben but that hasn't reduced the temperature enough for me either - still 20º :( 

On 22/08/2020 at 00:15, Andwil said:

If he doesn’t hurry up there’s a risk @The Baron will catch him up.  :wicked:

AW

:rofl2:

On 22/08/2020 at 22:48, TheBaron said:

Those trousers giving trouble again Ian?

inflatable-pants11.jpg?iv=115o

We all hope so too Ced. :grouphug:

May you be energized and carried swiftly from the doldrums that strike us all from time-to-time.

On 23/08/2020 at 04:54, bbudde said:

That looks more like Barbapapa or this guy just tries to hide medical problems with water retention in his legs.

Cheers

On 23/08/2020 at 05:38, dogsbody said:

The new, more manly Depends!

https://www.depend.com/en-ca/

Chris

On 23/08/2020 at 06:39, Brandy said:

I was thinking more along the lines of camouflage for Buster Gonad, but that's just the way my mind works I'm afraid!

Ian

What the…!!! 

Reminds me of the Billy Connolly 'incontinence pants' routine. Watch out for the (much younger) famous folks!

On 23/08/2020 at 09:14, corsaircorp said:

Butterfly modeller !! Thanks Heather !!

That's a so nice expression !! I think that I fit in this too...

Dully saved in my files.

Nice Hurries Ced !!

Would you a pint of Rocket fuel to respark the mojo ??

CC

Sadly CC my alcohol mojo has wained too… I know! Whatever is wrong with me, I hope it goes away soon! :) 

18 hours ago, Whofan said:

A few years ago Angela went out to the diesel Hyundai Tucson we had then (I was at work) and started it; it made the most horrendous noise and so startled she was she switched it off.  A neighbour who happened to be outside his house came over and said “that didn't sound right” to her (if ever there was an understatement I think that was it.) 

17 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Chris

16 hours ago, Whofan said:

We knew why the catalytic convertrs had been stolen, as for the charity, there are some words I am not really supposed to use on Britmodeller to describe the scum who did that.

I would also use them to describe the scum who did our car, too.

Thanks John and Chris :) There was a spate of cat thefts in this area last year - car parks and park-and-rides targeted. As you say they were after the precious metals :( 

15 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

All progress is good progress Mr B. The mojo will pop up after a good rest. 🤩🙌👍

Johnny

14 hours ago, Andwil said:

Fnaaar!

AW

Thanks Johnny and AW :D 

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Ced,

hope the mojo is popping up ;) (although I can't say much...!)

Just had to ask this question, though - will an Arma Hurricane Mk.IIB be joining the Mk.I throng in due course?

All the best,

Mark

Ah now, I saw that email… tempting :) 

Still nothing done on the Hurris.

Parasol construction and Daughter visit on Sunday.

Daughter's nursing chair foam padding today:

50263208601_1cf5c0e6a7_z.jpg

I considered buying a foam cutter (more tools!) but resorted to hacking away with a #25 blade. That top has been trimmed again!

At least now I have lifetime supply of masking foam:

50263387742_8dd8b26145_z.jpg

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, CedB said:

50263208601_1cf5c0e6a7_z.jpg

I considered buying a foam cutter (more tools!) but resorted to hacking away with a #25 blade. That top has been trimmed again!

At least now I have lifetime supply of masking foam:

50263387742_8dd8b26145_z.jpg

Multi-talented! Good luck with the chair :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oooh, upholstery even, 1:1 scale.

Is that a trial for the next internals? :wicked:

My parents re-did the seats back in the day in the same way, but used a torch-heated wire to cut through the foam.

39 minutes ago, CedB said:

What the…!!! 

Reminds me of the Billy Connolly 'incontinence pants' routine. Watch out for the (much younger) famous folks!

So glad I wasn't the only one! :rofl2:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CedB said:

There was a spate of cat thefts.....As you say they were after the precious metals

That's terrible - don't the bar stewards know there's precious little precious metal in our feline friends.... :whistle:

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Have I completely missed an announcement, grand-dad Ced?? (if so many congrats to you all!!)

Keith

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Multi-talented! Good luck with the chair :)

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark :) I think I've done my bit now - over to Mrs B for the covers.

17 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Oooh, upholstery even, 1:1 scale.

Is that a trial for the next internals? :wicked:

My parents re-did the seats back in the day in the same way, but used a torch-heated wire to cut through the foam.

So glad I wasn't the only one! :rofl2:

I did think about a foam cutter but I reckon this is the only job I'd need it for.

Pleased you thought of Billy too! :D 

15 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That's terrible - don't the bar stewards know there's precious little precious metal in our feline friends.... :whistle:

Have I completely missed an announcement, grand-dad Ced?? (if so many congrats to you all!!)

Keith

:rofl2: Thanks Keith.

No announcement yet - not due until October. Not long now though.

I had some transfer mojo this morning so looked at the Airfix theme:

50266534641_921d7f8618_z.jpg

Spot the mistake? Black and white it should be.

:weep:

I do have these:

50265882793_68be1accdb_z.jpg

…so hopefully one was a rag wing. Already done P2798 so not that one.

More research needed.

When the mojo's back :( 

• Like 9
  • Sad 5