Hurricane Trio - Arma and Airfix 1/72

11 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I was thinking of doing a scan and print of my AML mask diagram, sizing it up to fit, then cut out the revelant parts to mask the DG sections.

[snip pic]

Chris

Thanks Chris :) 

It looks like the AML mask DO mask the DE? Rats. I have those (after one of your previous posts I think) but didn't look! 

John, Pat and Ben - enjoy the curries! :D 

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Glad you’re felling better Mr B. Hurries are continuing to look fab. 👍

Johnny

Thanks Johnny :) 

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

As above.

Yesterday at 1600 the temperature outside was 36C,  but 22 with 56% humidity in my man cave. Didn't help though, I'm still struggling with an instrument panel after 3 days! :rofl2:

John

Yikes. I would be useless in those temperatures. 23.2º now in the fan breeze so bearable, just :) 

I've checked my stock of Colourcoats and I've two DEs and a DG in the stock so I'm OK for now, but it does show the DG gets more use :hmmm:

DG on:

50176303167_3609e1eb34_z.jpg

• Like 15

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Chris :) 

It looks like the AML mask DO mask the DE? Rats. I have those (after one of your previous posts I think) but didn't look! 

The directions tell you to paint the DG first and apply the masks, then paint the DE. That seemed bass-ackwards to me, so I'll make my own masks and paint it the other way around. When I figure out my airbrush.

Chris

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hamden said:

Coming together nicely, finish line in sight!

Roger

Thanks Roger :) 

6 hours ago, dogsbody said:

The directions tell you to paint the DG first and apply the masks, then paint the DE. That seemed bass-ackwards to me, so I'll make my own masks and paint it the other way around. When I figure out my airbrush.

Chris

That's weird Chris? I think you're masks are for covering the DE - look at the AML and Arma templates side by side:

50178335927_64580c424f_n.jpg 50174820847_389861822e_n.jpg

…and you can see they would fit like a jigsaw. Now you have a choice!

I've found your Hurri thread now and will have a catch up in the morning. 

Meanwhile, you've seen me before scanning images with a rule so that I can size the image in Silhouette studio ready for cutting.

I bought a Pixscan mat that's supposed to let you photograph things and, although I've not had much luck with it in the past, I thought I'd try it again:

50176017893_8f7ccf8278_z.jpg

It worked!

A bit of moving around and I now have masks ready for printing tomorrow:

50176017903_6dd089cfd8_z.jpg

• Like 10

Wow! It appears I've had a major brain-fart. I was sure that the AML instructions had you paint the DG first. 

You're right, Ced. My bad! I think I need to medicate.

36007270906_4b98dd9476_z.jpg

Chris

• Haha 10

On 23/07/2020 at 12:50, CedB said:

Three primed Hurris now drying:

Hi Ced,

Sorry to take everyone a step backwards, but I've seen you mention Stynylrez primer in some of your threads. I guess you used it the Hurris as well?

I'm going to have to get some good primer soon, and wondered what advantages is has. Also, where do you get your supplies.....

Kind regards,

Mark

Thanks Chris - enjoy the rum! :) 

1 minute ago, 2996 Victor said:

I'm going to have to get some good primer soon, and wondered what advantages is has. Also, where do you get your supplies.....

Oh Mark, now you're asking… you shouldn't ask an addict you know :D 

I got my supplies from Barwell Bodyworks and their website says it all.

Ultimate have rebadged it too so have a search for best prices.

Buy some of their cleaner too - the Barwell lady told me to wash out quickly with water and then use this cleaner - works for me, but remember it's primer so it's designed to stick and, if you're not quick, it will prime the AB!

BMers have various thoughts on it here:

My thoughts?

It's great. Non-smelly, covers well, self-levels, sticks really well, dries quickly (15 minutes?) and hard (in my experience).

I have the grey, black and white and have used the latter two as final finishes on some models.

Put some steel balls in the bottles and shake it REALLY WELL on first use to stir up any settled pigment - after that normal shaking is fine.

Don't forget to remove the inner seal on first use or it won't come out of the bottle (ask me how I know!)

The bottles (like most plastic bottles) have a soft spot - find it when squeezing to save your thumbs (I had to be told about this - duh!)

I spray at 25-30psi with a 0.4mm nozzle but try it on a mule first.

Love it.

Three mask sets cut this morning - now I just have to find the mojo to apply them :rolleyes:

Made the mistake of deciding to read all the Jack Reacher novels again and started #1 last night.

Gripping.

I may be gone some time…

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CedB said:

It's great

Sold!

Seriously, though, thanks Ced for the low-down and the links to the forum thread and suppliers. Sounds like its just the ticket.

Mucho appreciato!

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Don't forget to remove the inner seal on first use or it won't come out of the bottle (ask me how I know!)

:rofl2:

3 hours ago, CedB said:

The bottles (like most plastic bottles) have a soft spot - find it when squeezing to save your thumbs (I had to be told about this - duh!)

I didn't know that - so I'm glad you told me! :)

I find their cleaner to be essential - the difficulty in cleaning it out of the airbrush is the only thing I don't like about the stuff - I find it dries in the 'brush much faster than any other primer and that water doesn't touch it, even if you use it immediately. (the stuff is even impervious to cellulose thinner....!!)

K

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Afternoon All,

Go for stainless steel balls, or marine grade, as normal balls go brown after a while, (oooooo matron!)

Box on

Strickers

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

@keefr22 my go-to cleaner for Stynylrez is Vallejo Airbrush Cleaner.

It's still a bit of work to clean out the solidified stuff, but it's the best I've found. Perhaps others have a ore  effective cleaner ?

Rog

Edit.. Ah, I see @CedB recommends their brand cleaner ; question answered !

Something else to add to the shopping list !

Edited by roginoz
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Sold!

Seriously, though, thanks Ced for the low-down and the links to the forum thread and suppliers. Sounds like its just the ticket.

Mucho appreciato!

Kind regards,

Mark

You're very welcome Mark :) 

19 hours ago, roginoz said:

Another vote here for Stynylrez, for all the reasons @CedB stated.

Thanks, Ced, for the tip about steel balls........[fnaarrrr] I shall get them bottled instanter !

Rog

16 hours ago, HAMP man said:

Afternoon All,

Go for stainless steel balls, or marine grade, as normal balls go brown after a while, (oooooo matron!)

Box on

Strickers

Thanks Rob and Strickers :) 

Good point - I have AK Steel Shakers after reading about people's balls going rusty - nasty :wicked:

16 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I find their cleaner to be essential - the difficulty in cleaning it out of the airbrush is the only thing I don't like about the stuff - I find it dries in the 'brush much faster than any other primer and that water doesn't touch it, even if you use it immediately. (the stuff is even impervious to cellulose thinner....!!)

K

Seconded Keith :) Water will wash through any left over primer but you need the cleaner to get the dried stuff off; and sometimes a lot of rubbing!

6 hours ago, roginoz said:

Ah, I see @CedB recommends their brand cleaner ; question answered !

Quite right Rog - although when I saw her last at a show the Barwell lady suggested the bigger bottle was more economical:

50182947798_10af0eec13_z.jpg

That said, it's going to be a while before I open the big one - still plenty left in the 4oz bottle.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CedB said:

Water will wash through any left over primer

Ah, see what you mean now Ced - I just tip it out & go straight to the Badger cleaner, but I still find the stuff a mare to get out of the airbrush. But TBH it's academic for me now as the stuff is just a strategic reserve in case I run out of Mr Surfacer 12 or 1500 which I find sprays better, covers better, sands better and is dead easy to clean out of the brush. 

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Keith :) 

Mr Surfacer eh? Is that smelly? Does it fill too? I have 'a stock' of Stynylrez so I'll be staying with that for a while.

Mojo's still a bit low but I wanted to see how the masks fit the Airfix. Got the wings done before mojo expired:

50183565931_ee9b1419e7_z.jpg

As you can see it's quite tight on some edges and there's a 'step' in the port wing root which I assume will get filled with the fuselage mask. :hmmm:

The schemes are also slightly different so I had to go with the Arma positioning. Ho hum.

Tips of note (not new but worth a reminder):

Thanks to John (Biggles) for suggesting a nail tool thingy for burnishing - the smooth side is great for general rubbing down and the sharper tip for shoving the mask into panel lines.

Thanks to Giorgio (Giemme) for suggesting using a cocktail stick to balance the mask on while positioning with tweezers.

• Like 10

21 hours ago, CedB said:

Made the mistake of deciding to read all the Jack Reacher novels again and started #1 last night.

Gripping.

I may be gone some time…

Are you reading them in chronological or written order? I'm a big fan of the Jack reacher novels but can never remember if I've read one or not going by the title and cover art meaning I keep on buying duplicates. I need some sort of spreadsheet to keep track.

Hurricanes are really looking good.

Craig.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Are you reading them in chronological or written order? I'm a big fan of the Jack reacher novels but can never remember if I've read one or not going by the title and cover art meaning I keep on buying duplicates. I need some sort of spreadsheet to keep track.

Hurricanes are really looking good.

Craig.

It is quite easy to keep track.

Start at the Killing Floor and check the printing year from then, Mr Child seems to have released one book per annum since then

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, perdu said:

It is quite easy to keep track.

Start at the Killing Floor and check the printing year from then, Mr Child seems to have released one book per annum since then

That’s if you’re reading them in the order Mr. Childs wrote them. Chronologically, there’s a bunch of short stories and a couple of novels set before Killing Floor. But we probably shouldn’t be hijacking Ced’s thread like this (even if he did start it).

Craig. 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that the mojo is still an issue. Perhaps the knowledge that you are providing a lot enjoyment for a lot of people will help?

Helpful of Mars 👽

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I listen to the Jack Reacher series  (and others ) as audio books in my man cave,  sometimes I have to rewind when I suddenly realise that I don’t know what’s going on because I’ve been concentrating too much on the plastic!

John

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I listen to the Jack Reacher series  (and others ) as audio books in my man cave,  sometimes I have to rewind when I suddenly realise that I don’t know what’s going on because I’ve been concentrating too much on the plastic!

John

Too much on the plastic!

Burn the heretic.

;)

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

John

Opps sorry pardon.Amend that to “ concentrating so much on the plastic “.

Hope I’m forgiven.

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

That’s if you’re reading them in the order Mr. Childs wrote them. Chronologically, there’s a bunch of short stories and a couple of novels set before Killing Floor. But we probably shouldn’t be hijacking Ced’s thread like this (even if he did start it).

Craig. 

I think I prefer to let Lee take us back as he released them.

I would feel like I was second guessing him if I took them out of release sequence

😲

• Like 1