Hurricane Trio - Arma and Airfix 1/72

On 10/6/2020 at 11:47 AM, CedB said:

Not happy with the fit of the lights really:

Is that the Airfix Hurricane Ced? I too had trouble with the lights on mine, so much so that whichever way round I stuck them, I was convinced I'd done it wrong.

3 minutes ago, CedB said:

So, I finally allowed myself 'the best bit' and removed the canopy masks from the Airfix… what the!

Nice save though.

I think this mojo lack must be endemic. Every time I touch the He-111 I'm currently building in the BOB GB, something else seems to go wrong and my enthusiasm for the project diminishes even further. It's only the prospective shame of failing to finish in my first group build that keeps driving me upstairs to the work bench.

In the end though, those are three very nice looking Hurricanes!

Craig. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Eek! Masking is one of my bêtes noir. I’ve been lucky so far with most of my efforts...

"Good enough for the ceiling". They look fine to me. Imperfect, but all things considered they turned out fine. 

• Thanks 1

Eek the aftermath of the masking looked sapping. Well done with the recovery.

They certainly look more than good enough for display.

Well done after all the trials and tribulations you've endured.

It gives hope to mediocre meddlers like me.

Cheers

Alistair

• Thanks 1

Hi Ced,

So sorry to see the bother with the masking - so frustrating! Looks like you managed a good save though.

All three Hurricanes are looking quite excellent, if I may say so! I should think that all-in-all you'd be really pleased with how they've turned out :)

Looking forward to the next build!

Kind regards,

Mark

• Thanks 1

Nice save on the canopy Ced.

I think there is a worldwide mojo shortage. I managed a couple of hours today after a week or so of nothing.

Ian

• Thanks 1

Still a nice trio, Ced :clap: As for masks, wherever I can I now use Oramask, even for hand masking. And I always leave them on the clear parts for a loooong time ....

Ciao

• Thanks 1

We’ve had a dry day today and feeling better already. We’re going to enlarge our patio area for next spring so that we can entertain outside and made a start today by thinning out some miniature pines which will eventually be removed because they’re dying. Managed some modelling time also but still too humid for spraying, which is what I really want to do.

John

• Like 1

I’ve probably already said it but what with vivid and the climate crisis and the weather mojo is in short supply at the monument. But if we keep calm and continue modelling. 

I started the reveal on my hind today ( wahey, come on @CedB) which cheered me up no end.

50431774246_7cbd1d6ab4_c.jpg

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, CedB said:

50430521618_c2c8f898bb_z.jpg

They're certainly more than good enough and not just for the ceiling. Trouble with overdue unmasking .... you sure don't have to feel lonely thereupon. The lights on the Airfix ... I remember I had quite some sanding done on mine.

Very good job done with all three.

Cheers.

Pat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I’ve been caught a few times by leaving the masking on too long ( in one case over a year! ) so now I try to remember to take it off as soon as the painting is over.

Don’t burn your gopher wood just yet, there’s more rain on the way next week.

John

PS. Another Billvedere, Oh goody.

Thanks John :) 

Ah, sorry chaps, but I've decided I can't do the Belvedere justice at the moment so I've chosen the Airfix Falklands Dogfight double:

It's not really my theme but I'm interested nonetheless - I bought it in a panic when I read it had been withdrawn.

Should exercise the mojo (I hope) and I won't be too disappointed if I mess up.

21 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Is that the Airfix Hurricane Ced? I too had trouble with the lights on mine, so much so that whichever way round I stuck them, I was convinced I'd done it wrong.

Nice save though.

I think this mojo lack must be endemic. Every time I touch the He-111 I'm currently building in the BOB GB, something else seems to go wrong and my enthusiasm for the project diminishes even further. It's only the prospective shame of failing to finish in my first group build that keeps driving me upstairs to the work bench.

In the end though, those are three very nice looking Hurricanes!

Craig. 

Thanks Craig - the Airfix landing lights were a bit wobbly but the main comment was about the Arma nav lights - they have a weird 'lip' that extends over the LE. Odd.

Thanks to Heather, Ali, Mark, Ben, Simon and Keith for the kind and encouraging words - I love this form, so supportive :) 

20 hours ago, perdu said:

Right.

That's it.

The Bilvedere will receive its final antennae wires today, so as we say.

GERRONWIVIT

Awww sorry Bill, I didn't mean to push you into finishing but hey, turned out beautifully… I hope and I can get close to your high bar when I do mine, hopefully next :) 

19 hours ago, Brandy said:

Nice save on the canopy Ced.

I think there is a worldwide mojo shortage. I managed a couple of hours today after a week or so of nothing.

Ian

Thanks Ian, good to know I'm not alone! :) 

17 hours ago, giemme said:

Still a nice trio, Ced :clap: As for masks, wherever I can I now use Oramask, even for hand masking. And I always leave them on the clear parts for a loooong time ....

Ciao

Me too Giorgio after your steer - great stuff (when I'm not lazy) :) 

16 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

We’ve had a dry day today and feeling better already. We’re going to enlarge our patio area for next spring so that we can entertain outside and made a start today by thinning out some miniature pines which will eventually be removed because they’re dying. Managed some modelling time also but still too humid for spraying, which is what I really want to do.

John

Good news John - we've invested in new garden furniture for the 'new normal' so, hopefully, we'll have a chance to use it next year! :) 

16 hours ago, Marklo said:

I’ve probably already said it but what with vivid and the climate crisis and the weather mojo is in short supply at the monument. But if we keep calm and continue modelling. 

I started the reveal on my hind today ( wahey, come on @CedB) which cheered me up no end.

50431774246_7cbd1d6ab4_c.jpg

Nice Hind Mark (fnaar!!) :D 

11 hours ago, PattheCat said:

They're certainly more than good enough and not just for the ceiling. Trouble with overdue unmasking .... you sure don't have to feel lonely thereupon. The lights on the Airfix ... I remember I had quite some sanding done on mine.

Very good job done with all three.

Cheers.

Pat.

Thanks Pat, kind of you :) 

I'm sure the mods will get you but do you know you can edit posts when you quote them? Saves others scrolling through the stuff they've already seen.

Thanks as always to everyone for their help, support and companionship during this build- really appreciated :)

I'll try to remember to post some photos later of the Hurris on the ceiling.

See you at the next one.

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, CedB said:

I've decided I can't do the Belvedere justice at the moment

Remember it’s not about comparing builds. There are some modellers here who’s work is so good it’s genuinely intimidating; but for the rest of us it’s whether you’re enjoying it :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, CedB said:

we've invested in new garden furniture for the 'new normal' so, hopefully, we'll have a chance to use it next year!

Lucky you; we went looking for garden furniture but nobody ( including Argos) had any to sell ????

40 minutes ago, CedB said:

Nice Hind Mark (fnaar!!) :D 

That’s the spirit @CedB

oh and nice Hurricanes btw. Haven’t built one in a few years, feel like I should add one to my 1/48th collection, that and a P51 ( there was a really good documentary on the Red tails on PBS recently; building one of their machines would be my own little ‘Black Lives Matter’ :) , just need a kit and to verify that they flew the razorback as in the documentary)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Pat, kind of you :) 

I'm sure the mods will get you but do you know you can edit posts when you quote them? Saves others scrolling through the stuff they've already seen.

Thanks, I tidied up my mess.

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2020 at 12:14 PM, CedB said:

50430521618_c2c8f898bb_z.jpg

Good enough for the ceiling.

They look great.🤩 Pain about that masking stuff but you nailed them in the end. Maybe a few pics of them up in the air for a little bit of an RFI? Your longest build and three finished models. How splendid. ❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/10/2020 at 10:28, Marklo said:

Remember it’s not about comparing builds. There are some modellers here who’s work is so good it’s genuinely intimidating; but for the rest of us it’s whether you’re enjoying it :) 

Quite right Mark - I'll never reach the standards of some of the guys on here, despite how many tools I buy! :D 

On 08/10/2020 at 10:31, Marklo said:

Lucky you; we went looking for garden furniture but nobody ( including Argos) had any to sell ????

That’s the spirit @CedB

oh and nice Hurricanes btw. Haven’t built one in a few years, feel like I should add one to my 1/48th collection, that and a P51 ( there was a really good documentary on the Red tails on PBS recently; building one of their machines would be my own little ‘Black Lives Matter’ :) , just need a kit and to verify that they flew the razorback as in the documentary)

Thanks Mark - we 'invested' in some high-end aluminium stuff this time having thrown away at least three rotting wooden ones over the years.

That said, the delivery guy did say we were the last parasol delivery of the year for him!

There's a Wiki article on the Tuskegee Airmen and that looks like Razorbacks are OK? That said, I built two retail mustangs and they're not. Hmmm.

If Flickr was behaving itself I could look them up and I can't find them on here, sorry.

On 08/10/2020 at 10:37, Hamden said:

Top looking trio Ced they turned out great in the end, looking forward to the next adventure now

Stay safe       Roger

Thanks Roger :) 

23 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Thanks, I tidied up my mess.

Cheers Pat, kind of you :) 

22 hours ago, Marklo said:

50435727078_f6d514c8c7_c.jpg Now that my hinds starting to get a face it’s cheering me up even more :) ( bit it is a bit creepy )

Creepy indeed! Nice Russian shark mouth though :) 

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

They look great.🤩 Pain about that masking stuff but you nailed them in the end. Maybe a few pics of them up in the air for a little bit of an RFI? Your longest build and three finished models. How splendid. ❤️

Thanks Johnny :) 

I'll take some pics of them on the ceiling when I get around to it. Sadly, at my age (poor old s*d) standing on a ladder with my arms in the air is a bit too much like exercise!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Nice Russian shark mouth though

Thanks @CedB It’s still a bit rough but through successive Retouchings its getting there. Btw it’s actually Peruvian for some reason all their  Hinds have them there’s even a grey low visibility one.

In a separate note 1/48 Hurricanes seem to be in short supply, Hannants are looking for €30 plus postage, the Airfix kit is cheaper but out of stock and even eBay only has Ark models(??) kits at anything like a reasonable price.

I think the red tails did fly bubble tops as well but I quite like the idea of building a razorback, when my online shopping ban is lifted ( partly self imposed as the stash is plenty big to keep me going) I may buy one :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Thanks @CedB It’s still a bit rough but through successive Retouchings its getting there. Btw it’s actually Peruvian for some reason all their  Hinds have them there’s even a grey low visibility one.

In a separate note 1/48 Hurricanes seem to be in short supply, Hannants are looking for €30 plus postage, the Airfix kit is cheaper but out of stock and even eBay only has Ark models(??) kits at anything like a reasonable price.

I think the red tails did fly bubble tops as well but I quite like the idea of building a razorback, when my online shopping ban is lifted ( partly self imposed as the stash is plenty big to keep me going) I may buy one :) 

Try the Hobbycraft one, I was quite happy with it and the smart people say it is reasonably accurate. Lots on eBay this side of the pond.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mark and Robin - weird that the 1/48 Hurris are in short supply, an opportunity for someone? ;)

Hanging this morning.

Not in the 'modern sense' of the word, but hanging models on the ceiling.

Not my favourite job for a number of reasons:

1. The ceilings in the man cave are quite high and on the top step of my step ladder (not my real birth ladder) my arms are at full stretch
  2. I use invisible thread and, perhaps not surprisingly, it's hard to see and even harder to knot and
  3. After a short time I end up with empty arms as the blood rushes out.

Good cardio work perhaps but makes me wobbly so only the Airfix made it to the flight:

50443703868_ae5c250594_z.jpg

Showing silvering at that angle but it doesn't show that badly from normal viewing angles, honest.

Educational though - certainly taught me a lesson…

In formation with its fellow Airfix Hurri, both head on with the Luftwaffe BoB group:

50444591557_ab8bcbd1b9_z.jpg

Support strings are up for the other two so they may get up (fnaar!) when the blood returns to my arms.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1