Hurricane Trio - Arma and Airfix 1/72

8 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

try bedding them in Kleer?

Already told him about that Troy, been doing that for years and never get silvering.....   :rolleyes:

Still, I know how my missus feels now when she says telling me how to do stuff (like cooking!) is like talking to a brick wall....!!  🤣

Anyway, they still look good Ced, and you probably won't notice it (much) when they're on the ceiling....  :)

Keith

• Haha 2

I don't gloss coat but I do put decals on over Decalfix, so it's like a local gloss, filling up the little air packets that cause silvering. You might get away with washing Decalfix over it and poking at the side of the decal with a brush to see if you can lift it a bit and get the Decalfix to run under it.

I've said "Decalfix"* three times. *Or your preferred decal bedder-inner.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well another week of low mojo… and a trip to see eldest daughter before the baby's born (any day now).

Let's see what we have in the post…

On 28/09/2020 at 08:24, Heather Kay said:

Yeuch! Silvering drives me bonkers.

If you feel up for it, take a sewing needle and stab through the transfer where it’s silvered. Lots of tiny holes. Apply some setting solution, or diluted/thinned varnish, with a soft brush over the stabbed area. I prefer varnish in such attempts. Keep adding more pin pricks to help the varnish fill the silvered areas. Top coat with preferred Finish when it’s dry.

It may not fix all the silvering, but it helps to minimise it.

(Edited because the forum filth filter picked up on a P word!)

Thanks Heather - ah, the 'gentleman's parts' autocorrect eh? Makes things worse doesn't it? 🙄

The DullCote seems to have cured the problem but I'll remember the tip!

On 28/09/2020 at 08:39, Andwil said:

It’s probably too late now Ced, but have a close look at the hexagons on the tail of VY*G

AW

Thanks AW - I can see it now - the port one is up the right way (flat on the bottom) but the starboard is wrong. Rats.

I won't tell if you don't :D 

Thanks to Bill, Ian, hendie, Keith and Johnny for the reminder on GLOSSING BEFORE DECALS - got it :) 

Oh, but wait…

On 30/09/2020 at 07:54, AdrianMF said:

I don't gloss coat but I do put decals on over Decalfix, so it's like a local gloss, filling up the little air packets that cause silvering. You might get away with washing Decalfix over it and poking at the side of the decal with a brush to see if you can lift it a bit and get the Decalfix to run under it.

I've said "Decalfix"* three times. *Or your preferred decal bedder-inner.

Regards,

Adrian

Maybe… no, no, gloss. Probably :D 

On 29/09/2020 at 23:19, Troy Smith said:

I nearly had, except I just found I'd broken and lost  a bit of an Arma UC which you won't be using,  as I have actually done some building..   Very interesting and neat kit that Arma Mk.I,  though a bit fiddly.

try bedding them in Kleer?

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235038987-bedding-decals-in-klear-future-or-equivalent/

also try fairly hot water for decals, I've used a large jam jar lid on a coffee machine hotplate, makes then very flexible.  Not a good idea for very thin or fragile ones.

HTH

Soon Troy, soon I promise. I've discovered that the postie is collecting with 'Click and drop' so no need for me to visit the shops either - result!

A little mojo saw me addressing the thing I've been dreading for so log - fitting the weird nav lights and landing lights:

50408476691_b2cc3d2946_z.jpg

I've tried the nav lights before and they were fiddly. This time I persevered and got them on, including the weird 'under the LE' bit. I'm still not sure that should be there.

Now the landing light won't fit; I've looked back through the instructions / thread to see if I cut out the holes and they were on the kit. Maybe it's paint.

Sanding required.

Soon.

• Like 16

Halliallo Ced. Gut mal was von Dir zu hören. Etwas länger her.  Good to see something from you Ced.  Nice looking wing with some lights on, even not fixed as it will be in the end. Sure for that it will be.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CedB said:

I've discovered that the postie is collecting with 'Click and drop'

Where did you find out about that Ced - is it a local thing to you do you know? I really need to start thinning the stash out a bit, but still too afeared to go to the Post Office... 

K

edit - don't worry I did what I should have first off and googled it....!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bbudde said:

Halliallo Ced. Gut mal was von Dir zu hören. Etwas länger her.  Good to see something from you Ced.  Nice looking wing with some lights on, even not fixed as it will be in the end. Sure for that it will be.

Cheers

(quick Google Translate…) Danke Ben - mit der Zeit etwas häufiger (I think!) :) 

The problem turned out to be some small bits of flash inside the openings. Tight fit, but they're in now.

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Where did you find out about that Ced - is it a local thing to you do you know? I really need to start thinning the stash out a bit, but still too afeared to go to the Post Office... 

K

edit - don't worry I did what I should have first off and googled it....!!

Good news Keith - a friend told me about the 'collect' option once you've bought the postage. Good stuff eh? :) 

This is pathetic, I'm sorry. I did get the lights in and the prop on one:

50411895912_00d3be42c0_z.jpg

…but the mojo's so low I couldn't even encourage myself to my favourite bit; taking off the masks!

We've had our flu jabs this morning and had to be up for a 7-8 delivery so I have an excuse.

Probably.

• Like 19

We seem to have missed Autumn completely here and it's gone straight to Winter. Rained every day this week except Wednesday and now we're expecting 80km/hr winds tonight ( already up to 50 ), but I've just closed the shutters, lit the wood burner and SWMBO has made me a G & T so things are not all bad. 

John

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

We seem to have missed Autumn completely here and it's gone straight to Winter.

Hello John, I think it's not really that  The September was almost fine here, but I guess it's more or less the weird situtation since March here now. No real Spring and Summer feelings/action also for me. Couldn't act out with my usual habits over the year since now as usual. So my mood is qute different than that in last Autumn. Not getting depressed so far, but reminds me of an older song of the early mid 90':

Lyrics for clarity:

Chance: "Please tell me where life is.
I'm feelin' scared like this."
Destiny: "Why do you ask?"
Chance: "Sadness."
Destiny: "Why should you care?"
Chance: "This madness kills."
Destiny: "You're lookin' like one of those reasons.
You're lookin' like one of those dreams.
You're lookin' like one of those moments.
You can't fool me."
Chance: "I'd like to see spring.
When will you be with me?"
Destiny : Why should you care ?
Chance: "Madness."
Destiny: "Why do you ask?"
Chance: "This sadness kills."
Destiny: "You're lyin'!
You're lyin'!
You're lyin'!
You're lyin'!"
Narrator: "Moments, dreams, and reasons.
Moments plus dreams make love.
Come in season.
Yeah, seasons!"
Chance: "Where do we go from here?
These lonely roads,
I fear."
Destiny: "Wipe your tears.
Don't you worry;
I'll always be here
For you."
Chance: "You're lyin'.
You're lyin'!
You're lyin'!
You're lyin'!
Look at your face!"
Destiny: "You're lookin' like one of those reasons."
Chance: "You're cryin'!"
Destiny: "You're lookin' like one of those dreams."
Chance: "Look at your face!"
Destiny: "You're lookin' like one of those moments.
You can't fool me."

Btw, sorry to hear about the severe storms in south france and northern italy.

Cheers Benedikt

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 5

On 03/10/2020 at 16:13, Marklo said:

Probably the time if the year, suddenly it’s winter, or the impending second wave, or the US election, or the also impending climate disaster :( 

Could be Mark - must be something I guess! :) 

On 03/10/2020 at 17:08, bbudde said:

Gut zu wissen-Good to know,  Ced. Nice looking Hurricane now.

Cheers

Thanks Ben :)

Thanks also for the music. I listened all the way through that one, a bit more mellow than your usual!

The storms are (hopefully) gone here but oh, that rain! Made me look up 'What's a cubit?' (link not for the religious!)

On 03/10/2020 at 17:13, Biggles87 said:

We seem to have missed Autumn completely here and it's gone straight to Winter. Rained every day this week except Wednesday and now we're expecting 80km/hr winds tonight ( already up to 50 ), but I've just closed the shutters, lit the wood burner and SWMBO has made me a G & T so things are not all bad. 

John

Yuk. A bit brighter today here, thankfully. 

Sad to hear about the people badly effected by the floods - horrid.

On 04/10/2020 at 21:15, The Spadgent said:

Looking rather lovely there Mr Bee.  Get those masks off you know you want to, 😍

Johnny.  

Thanks Johnny - I'm saving that for a reward when the mojo comes back! :) 

Not happy with the fit of the lights really:

50426248528_e861e2715c_z.jpg

Weird mojo right now so, although I finished glueing things on this one, I thought I should stop just before I broke something:

50426247608_1ecdb22264_z.jpg

• Like 14

Looking forward to the canopy masks coming off.

I think it’s the weather that’s doing strange things to the mojo, if it’s the same in the UK as here. . I’m getting more fed up with the continuous rain  than the Covid restrictions.I can’t get anything done, I have quite a lot of burning wood to bring into the barn for the winter  but I doubt I could get to it, even with the quad, at the moment because the area’s turned into a bog again!

I had just got the first coat of paint on one of my Mirages when this started and can’t get any further with it. 😠

john

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, hendie said:

ike a train?

Ha, hendie, that's a great idea. Hope I don't miss the right topic then Yep, please also for me Ced and modest as I am,  I would also be satisfied with a tram. 🚋:bye:.

Cheers

Btw: Airfix did some HO ones in the 70' which could be used for a diorama, Ced.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

because the area’s turned into a bog again!

Hello John, sorry to hear that. Hope you don't live in that battered area in south France. Very devastating with the alps in the way as a natural front stopping to disperse the heavy rain clouds of the low pressure fronts coming in. So it's only the heavy wind and regular rain here from that ones. Hope you stay well till they have left your area.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

I listened all the way through that one, a bit more mellow than your usual!

Oh, Ced, don't misunderstand me. Not that I'm always in the mood for hard music, especially for the chilling ones. But mostly they are instrumental and very good for a sunny day in spring, summer or autuum with a beer and maybe doing some modelling parallel to that. Something like that:

Cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hendie said:

like a train?

Okay, not quite a train as there's no locomotive, but here are a couple of wagons I built earlier this year:

http://IMG-1852.jpg

They're Cambrian Railways finished in the pre-1899 livery, built to 4mm/1ft scale (1:76) EM gauge.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Okay, not quite a train as there's no locomotive, but here are a couple of wagons I built earlier this year:

Yep as above. Looking very smart and well weathered. All in all  simply realistic as the 1:1 ones. Well done.

Cheers Benedikt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bbudde said:

Yep as above. Looking very smart and well weathered. All in all  simply realistic as the 1:1 ones. Well done.

Cheers Benedikt

Thanks, Benedikt, that's incredibly kind of you! And just to hijack Ced's thread a bit more, here are a couple of Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway opens to the same scale/gauge:

http://IMG-1836.jpg

These two are planned to run loaded, so I've not tried too hard with their interiors, and they still need brake levers, too.

End of thread hijack :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

that's incredibly kind of you! And just to hijack Ced's thread a bit more, here

Hello Mark, thanks for your kind words. No, incredible is only the fact, that Ced tollerates all of my banter, nonsense, music videos so far over the years (,which aren't always his favourites).  He will be gently with you, while your hijacking his thread. But only of course, if you're gently to him in general.

Cheers

Btw:  Heather will like your work at all on your trains.

Edited by bbudde
The "so" was misplaced at all
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Same here Ced, and it seems when I do summon up enough of it to do anything, that anything is always going wrong....

Keith

You and me both Keith, you and me both… :( 

It's also effecting my choice of the next build (see below)

I'm calling these done before I smash them up - they'll be fine for the ceiling.

22 hours ago, hendie said:

sorry to hear of your ongoing mojo issues Ced.  Wish I could think of something to get it back hot and steamy.  Have you thought of trying to build something else for a change?  like a train?

Hot and steamy? I remember hot and steamy… just :D 

I did have a look at 'plastic model kits' on Amazon to see if something caught my eye but apart from some wooden ball bearing kits (they go clonk, what's not to like?) nothing blew my skirt up (True Lies quote)

I think I'll give it a rest today and tomorrow I have FOUR online meetings. Good grief, it's like being back at work!

22 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Looking forward to the canopy masks coming off.

I think it’s the weather that’s doing strange things to the mojo, if it’s the same in the UK as here. . I’m getting more fed up with the continuous rain  than the Covid restrictions.I can’t get anything done, I have quite a lot of burning wood to bring into the barn for the winter  but I doubt I could get to it, even with the quad, at the moment because the area’s turned into a bog again!

I had just got the first coat of paint on one of my Mirages when this started and can’t get any further with it. 😠

john

Masks are off now John, but of course that 'fun' was spoiled too… see below :( 

Sunny and windy here today so hopefully the rain has stopped and I can delay the Ark.

21 hours ago, bbudde said:

Ha, hendie, that's a great idea. Hope I don't miss the right topic then Yep, please also for me Ced and modest as I am,  I would also be satisfied with a tram. 🚋:bye:.

Cheers

Btw: Airfix did some HO ones in the 70' which could be used for a diorama, Ced.

Thanks Ben, but I think I'll stick to flying things… although Apollo 11 and a V2 and carrier did make the 'short list' :) 

Enjoyed the Blonker track too - very chilled out.

20 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

[snip pic]

They're Cambrian Railways finished in the pre-1899 livery, built to 4mm/1ft scale (1:76) EM gauge.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark - nice carriages :) 

Please don't worry about highjacks - more than happy to see interesting things, especially when my posts are, er, not so interesting!

16 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Mark, thanks for your kind words. No, incredible is only the fact, that Ced tollerates all of my banter, nonsense, music videos so far over the years (,which aren't always his favourites).  He will be gently with you, while your hijacking his thread. But only of course, if you're gently to him in general.

Cheers

Btw:  Heather will like your work at all on your trains.

Quite right Ben, quite right. I love the kind people on this site and the wide range of posts. Great stuff.

So, I finally allowed myself 'the best bit' and removed the canopy masks from the Airfix… what the!

50427039628_72be0df6b8_z.jpg

You can see where I've carefully poked the edges of the mask… to no avail!

I had to go back to my post of July 23rd to remember that, being lazy, I'd used the Molotow masking pen on those panels.

The Molotow website says "advice: Remove masking within 2 days from surface". 

Not ten weeks then.

TEN WEEKS! Good grief, what have I been doing?!!

Not a lot, obviously.

Oh well, let's try scratching it off with a cocktail stick:

50430202851_e37eae098e_z.jpg

Grrrraaaaahhh!

Calm down man. Try a damp cotton bud.

Oh, OK, some IPA on a cotton bud.

And a cocktail stick.

Eventually:

50431381737_5c2cece1f5_z.jpg

Yes it is a blurred photo.

No I'm not going to take a better one.

I'm calling these finished:

50431382872_54b7358797_z.jpg

50430521618_c2c8f898bb_z.jpg

Good enough for the ceiling.

I have no excuses - the kits are certainly good so it must be the tools?

Nope, poor mojo :( 

So, I had this lined up for the next build, a kind gift from Adrian:

50430523303_d3a83d69cd_z.jpg

Of course it's been waiting for the wonderful Billvedere build to finish.

I had planned for an OOB build with care I'm not sure I can do it justice at the moment.

I shall ponder…

• Like 17
  • Sad 3

I’ve been caught a few times by leaving the masking on too long ( in one case over a year! ) so now I try to remember to take it off as soon as the painting is over.

Don’t burn your gopher wood just yet, there’s more rain on the way next week.

John

PS. Another Billvedere, Oh goody.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1