Hurricane Trio - Arma and Airfix 1/72

4 hours ago, CedB said:

No announcement yet - not due until October. Not long now though.

:thumbsup:

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Spot the mistake? Black and white it should be.

Ooops....!!

See now, if you hadn't told us, I bet no one would have noticed! You could always say it's been repainted at a M.U.....!! :)

K

• Haha 7

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the silence - I keep thinking about the rag wing and thinking I 'might do something later' and then I don't :( 

I have a couple of threads 'permanently open' in my browser on BoB rag wings including this one:

On 25/08/2020 at 09:43, alt-92 said:

Look on the bright side: it's already pre-shaded somewhat :)

True. If I get some painting mojo alt!

On 25/08/2020 at 14:03, keefr22 said:

:thumbsup:

Ooops....!!

See now, if you hadn't told us, I bet no one would have noticed! You could always say it's been repainted at a M.U.....!! :)

K

…and there's an option :wicked: Thanks Keith!

On 25/08/2020 at 23:20, The Spadgent said:

Yes. You have those. There’s lucky. 🤩 

You're right Jont, if only the schemes showed you which were rag wings!

This tike's going home tomorrow so maybe I'll get some more time (and mojo):

50300292368_b9a06d75e2_z.jpg

Note the expectant look. If only they could talk… (PG clip, not for sensitive ears!)

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

Hurricanes with fabric wings...

That takes me back to being a kid in Brum in the fifties and sixties, not a likely scenario but I used to spend long hours in the museum's of Brum city centre. 

Favourite for me was the Science Museum which after passing several levels of up and down stairways brought you to the smallest aviation section the boggling mind could ever imagine.

In this haven was a mark nine Spitfire as dirty as she must have been in 1945 at de-commissioning and desert camouflaged early Hurricane with fabric wings.

Then one day I visited to find the Hurri missing.

The custodian told me it was away to have metal wings because another Hurricane was being restored as a fabric wing machine.

I'm not sure when the was but some time later the City's idiots in charge decided to do away with the old Science Museum and introduce a new facility called Think tank

Now I have to pay to see 'old friend' exhibits in poorly presented, minimised versions of the old museum displays.

I have been once, with my granddaughter, to be disappointed sadly

I left feeling very bleak, I don't expect to see those old friends again.

But there we are, a wandering shamble around Bill's memory bank with a Hurricane in it.

• Like 8
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, perdu said:

I used to spend long hours in the museum's of Brum city centre

They had steps so you could go up and peer into the Hurricane cockpit, as I recall.. 

I had a trip to Brum for work in 1998(ish) so I made time to go round the Science Museum just before it closed for good. All the industrial exhibits were languishing under a thick layer of dust. It had clearly been starved of money and maintenance for years.

Sorry, Ced, thread drift.  Back to black and white Hurricanes...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hendie said:

All is forgiven!

All?

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

They had steps so you could go up and peer into the Hurricane cockpit, as I recall.. 

I bet my feet wore some of the treads away on both of them, there was a barrier so you could look but not go in and emulate The Tin legged wonder or Johnnie Johnson.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, perdu said:

and desert camouflaged early Hurricane with fabric wings.

The custodian told me it was away to have metal wings because another Hurricane was being restored as a fabric wing machine.

I believe you are mistaken. 

The only fabric wing Hurricane (apart from one being restored in the last few years)  is the London Science museum, L1592.

The Hurricane in Birmingham is KX829, and is a Mk.IV,   

as displayed at the moment, KX829 is in faux BoB markings as Clowes JX-B P3395, but is still a Mk.IV

As KX829 ended up a Loughborough technical college until the 60's,   and then the museum,  AFAIK, it never had a wing swap(see linked pic below, showing Mk.IV wings at Loughborough).

this pic of KX829 at the musuem in fake desrt colours, also shows the Mk.IV wing

49974701258_6d5ec0375f_b.jpg

Just to be clear, if KX829 had fabric wings, where did they come from, and if they were taken for a restoration, where is the restoration, and where did the MK.IV wings come from.

see here.

That you could look into the cockpit is fascinating, as that would have meant the unique Mk.IV wings would have been uppersurface panels would have been visible.

There is debate on what Mk.IId vs Mk.IV wing looked like, and the Hurricane II manual talk about early and late Mk.IV

see here

this is the Mk.IV wing in Belgrade

36332251186_1d6d552ff8_o.jpg&key=1b5e9eb

which is based on the IIc, but lacks the two larger panels,  this being replaced by a smaller panel, top right, to allow adjustment of the 40 mm cannon

The IIc has two main hatches, on the IV the inner one is skiined over, and tghe outer provides access to the 0.303 Browning used for sighting.   The leading edge is based on the IIc, the outline of the inner cannon bay can seen plated off, then the 0.303 opening, and the plated over landing light (to allow rocket use)

36240601171_58ab2094e7_o.jpg&key=74bed56

Considering that KX829 has a service history,

Air Britain

KX 829 137/286/1606 Flt/639/595/631/ To Loughbourough College 8.3.46

and is a the only Mk.IV on display in the UK,  the faux BoB markings are a real shame.

A display with rockets,  or the 40 mm guns would be impressive, or a showing the variety of weapons that could be fitted.

PS if you google up Hurricane KX829 there are 60'a B/W photos in what look like overall silver at LOUGHBOROUGH COLLEGE

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1458899

the other Hurricane there is a Sea Hurricane IB, I assume later the Shuttleworth Sea Hurricane.

The MK.IV wings are clearly visible in the linked pic.

HTH

• Like 3

Who am I to know?

The attendant at the museum told me what I have told you, I was not that fascinated by Hurris at the time.

( I always wondered about the Desert Scheme without a sand filter)

It is a pity my dad is not here to contribute to the upper panel debate, he worked arming Hurricanes at Hawkinge during the Battle of Britain and loved to get into late night discussions over these things at the RAFA club in Moseley.

Birmingham Museum of Science and Industry had a huge selection of firearms on display, Birmingham being a centre for the gunmaker's arts and after my obligatory trip up and down to see the 'planes I would always climb the step to the upper gallery and peruse the various firearms.

And never leave without attacking the Fox And Geese computer game although it was easy to beat the computer after learning the steps.

Was it Forward Right Forward Left Forward... ?

Lost in time...

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, perdu said:

Who am I to know?

The attendant at the museum told me what I have told you, I was not that fascinated by Hurris at the time

My apologies if I my post came across the wrong way, no offence intended,   and I understand that you are reporting what  you were told,  I just wished to explain why I think this is incorrect, given that the poor Hurricane does seem to suffer from, well, not being the Spitfire,  I try to post up accurate information if I can.

14 minutes ago, perdu said:

I always wondered about the Desert Scheme without a sand filter

well, the desert scheme would have been applied in the 60's for museum display,  the linked Loughborough pic shows that KX829 was stripped of paint, note that the scheme has the Dark Earth band through the cockpit, and yellow leading edge stripes...

From the service history KX829 only served in the UK, and so would never have had the tropical filter.

Note the carb intake is missing a little fairing behind it.  

Quite a lot of Mk.IVs served in 2nd duties in the UK,  they were used operationally in mid/late 1943 by 137, 164 and 184 Squadrons, which there are photos of, and 186 and 438 and 439 used them to train with rockets before converting to Typhoons.(which I have not seen photos of)

cheers

T

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Troy I really don't mind discussing Hurricanes since dad worked on them at Hawkinge.

He also worked on other types on the field as an armourer, Lysander's and others.

Lack of knowledge is why I only comment here periphally.

:)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, perdu said:

Hurricanes with fabric wings...

That takes me back to being a kid in Brum in the fifties and sixties, not a likely scenario but I used to spend long hours in the museum's of Brum city centre. 

Favourite for me was the Science Museum which after passing several levels of up and down stairways brought you to the smallest aviation section the boggling mind could ever imagine.

In this haven was a mark nine Spitfire as dirty as she must have been in 1945 at de-commissioning and desert camouflaged early Hurricane with fabric wings.

I'm not sure when the was but some time later the City's idiots in charge decided to do away with the old Science Museum and introduce a new facility called Think tank

Now I have to pay to see 'old friend' exhibits in poorly presented, minimised versions of the old museum displays.

I have been once, with my granddaughter, to be disappointed sadly

I left feeling very bleak, I don't expect to see those old friends again.

But there we are, a wandering shamble around Bill's memory bank with a Hurricane in it.

Amazing, In the '90, I get with a friend at the science museum..

There was a Mk IX and a mosquito.

It was an Heartbraker since the Mosquito has her wings shortened to accomodate the room.

The multilayers of dust were also sad to see.

We then get to a huuuuuge multifold hangar...

In wich they now build some big cats....

CC 

• Sad 2

On 9/3/2020 at 10:48 AM, CedB said:

Apologies for the silence - I keep thinking about the rag wing and thinking I 'might do something later' and then I don't :( 

Don’t worry too much about it. Concentrate on the fun stuff. That’s why I’m not doing open gun bays on my Horten. Life’s too short. 🤗

• Like 2

Some mojo this morning so I eased myself back into some transfer application:

50307668706_cb58cbd7c6_z.jpg

All six of them.

It's a start! :D 

Thanks Bill and Troy for the discussions on hurricanes - always pleased to see knowledge being shared; and absorbed.

Simon ( @Beard ) thanks for the offer of the transfers. But I have a plan (of sorts) that I've been pondering.

hendie I'm back, if only for a short spurt (careful!) :D 

Adrian I have an aversion to painting at the moment so I'm desperately trying to find an excuse to keep the scheme. A plan may emerge!

And yes John, it may be Eau de Nil (aka Sky in my head, although I know that's not right).

Johnny, Keith and CC - Tilly was delivered back yesterday (a trip to Tewkesbury where they had the flags out) and Mols is now resting after the busy 'parenting week'. All's well thanks and Mols says Woof 🐾

So, what's the plan?

In my small Bob group on the ceiling I have Ian Gleed's LKoA that I built back in 2015:

Deserves a wingman don't you think?

Although I initially ignored the metal wing comments then I did, eventually, give in and order another kit.

Now I'm dithering about the plan…

Perhaps I'll take Keith's advice and just plough on through the storm with the kit transfers :hmmm:

• Like 14

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Some mojo this morning so I eased myself back into some transfer application:

All six of them.

It's a start! :D 

I'd say they're looking jolly good :) And as Alistair says, take your time and they'll all come together brilliantly!

Kind regards,

Mark

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Very strategically placed but l👀k at all those wonderful tools. 😇 nice to have you back in action Mr B.  By the way rule number one: Never leave the lid off your micro set. Ask me how I know. 😱😂😫

Johnny

• Like 1
  • Haha 3