Hurricane Trio - Arma and Airfix 1/72

21 hours ago, roginoz said:

@keefr22 my go-to cleaner for Stynylrez is Vallejo Airbrush Cleaner.

It's still a bit of work to clean out the solidified stuff, but it's the best I've found. Perhaps others have a ore  effective cleaner ?

Rog

Edit.. Ah, I see @CedB recommends their brand cleaner ; question answered !

Something else to add to the shopping list !

1) flush water through the airbrush

2) do the same with Vallejo airbrush cleaner

3) remove the hardened stuff with a cotton bud dipped into Vallejo airbrush cleaner or even better, ethyl alcohol (aka polishing alcohol). Can also be sprayed as it "breaks" the dried layer better than IPA and has less tendency to make a gummy mess that clogs the airbrush.

Never tried the proprietary cleaner, it's quite difficult to find Badger/Ultimate products over here (as far as I could find out, you can get the grey, black and white primer in one Belgian shop - not even the large bottles nor the gloss black - and that's about all).

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

http://Spanish-Inquisition.jpg

Beware, Bill.....🤣🤣🤣

I actually have these figures to paint someday.  Still need to find a comfy chair.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Sorry, missed that. Not really, it's too fine for that, at least it is when thinned 50/50 with levelling thinner which is how I use it.

K

So this thinned with Leveling Thinner is a good primer?

50185935747_c53df37cc9_o.jpg

Chris

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

So this thinned with Leveling Thinner is a good primer?

Yes Chris, at least I like it. I've got white, grey and black. They mix well to give different shades. It gives a very smooth, tough finish.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Keith for the information on the Mr Surfacer. As I spray in the house (even with a vented booth) I think I'll stay with the non-smelly Stynylrez :) 

Thanks Dandie, Bill and John for the Reacher comments - order of books (and short stories) here.

Strange to think, now I'm using Kindle on my iPhone / iPad, that I would have had actual books in the 'old days'.

Kindle has, usefully, added the book order to the titles so I think I'll be fine now.

Also, as I have the Kindle versions of the books, I must have read them all again before.

Isn't memory loss wonderful? :D 

Thanks to Mark for the Spanish Inquisition, which of course was unexpected! :D 

Get those figures painted Phil! :) 

20 hours ago, Martian said:

Sorry to hear that the mojo is still an issue. Perhaps the knowledge that you are providing a lot enjoyment for a lot of people will help?

Helpful of Mars 👽

Awww, thanks Martian, nice of you to say so :) 

15 hours ago, PattheCat said:

1) flush water through the airbrush

2) do the same with Vallejo airbrush cleaner

3) remove the hardened stuff with a cotton bud dipped into Vallejo airbrush cleaner or even better, ethyl alcohol (aka polishing alcohol). Can also be sprayed as it "breaks" the dried layer better than IPA and has less tendency to make a gummy mess that clogs the airbrush.

Never tried the proprietary cleaner, it's quite difficult to find Badger/Ultimate products over here (as far as I could find out, you can get the grey, black and white primer in one Belgian shop - not even the large bottles nor the gloss black - and that's about all).

Thanks Pat, I'll give that a try :) 

Still low on the mojo and distracted by Reacher, but I wanted to see how the masks fitted, especially after PC's comment on lack of instructions, so I cut out the paper ones:

50187099273_ae021f1a96_z.jpg

This seems OK:

50187899487_05df610b43_z.jpg

…even though it popped up as I clicked the shutter.

There's a strange gap here:

50187105903_d0269c88c1_z.jpg

But the other seems OK:

50187108573_ccf1240d0d_z.jpg

This side looks fine:

50187908447_96b3255d13_z.jpg

I'll try the cut masks later but it look like there's some gaps to be filled and the canopy needs covering.

• Like 17

36 minutes ago, CedB said:

As I spray in the house (even with a vented booth)

I spray in the house too Ced, it's not that smelly when used in a booth tbh - it can't be or I'd be facing the wrath of Mrs R & her hypersensitive snozz....!! :)

12 hours ago, dogsbody said:

So, mix in about the same proportions as paint? 50/50 or 60/40 thinner to paint?

Indeed Chris, I don't measure it that accurately tbh, just so it runs freely down the inside of the mixing cup - but it's somewhere around those ratios. I picked up the idea of using it from watching a number of Youtube modellers & they use about the same mix.

Keith

• Like 2

Hi Ced,

I should have mentioned this earlier but I was distracted by Reacher. I used the Arma masks in my build of the Airfix hurricane here. It's mostly a diatribe about the perils of using Blu Tac as a masking medium with Vallejo paints but you might find something useful there.

Craig.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I spray in the house too Ced, it's not that smelly when used in a booth tbh - it can't be or I'd be facing the wrath of Mrs R & her hypersensitive snozz....!! :)

Indeed Chris, I don't measure it that accurately tbh, just so it runs freely down the inside of the mixing cup - but it's somewhere around those ratios. I picked up the idea of using it from watching a number of Youtube modellers & they use about the same mix.

Keith

I tried it out yesterday on my paint mule. Mixed it about in those proportions and it worked pretty good. I didn't have my phone with me, so didn't take pictures.

I do need to remember to stir the two components better. Mine was a bit thin with some pigment left in the bottom of the mixing cup.

Chris

• Like 3

I stick with ultimate primer as it’s aquas and pre mixed.

Ive been on kindle for years. Great for 99p books, plus all the osprey titles are there too. Also easier for those 1000 page table busters. I also subscribe to Airfix model world on it.  But Tamiya and scale aeroplane world are also available.

• Like 2

Thanks Keith for the info on the primers - Chris I hope you get on with it :) 

Thanks Craig - caught up on your build and there was some very useful stuff there. Nice Hurri too :) 

Thanks Mark - I'm a Kindle fan too now; always have a book (or four) with me on my 'phone) :) 

Nothing since Tuesday? Still a bit wobbly and distracted by Reacher but I did put the rest of the mask on the Airfix:

50202698217_52099f2da0_z.jpg

It's not ready for spraying. I need to sort out the wrinkles:

50202433601_0e129cd880_z.jpg

…making sure I burnish down the bumps. I also need to fill the gaps:

50202700392_3d686276ec_z.jpg

Most obvious on the wing root and behind the canopy but some 'shortfalls' elsewhere too.

• Like 9

I've not done a thing in days now. The wife has been feeling a bit low with a cough and sinus issues. She has self-isolated in the bedroom ( again! ) so I've been left to do everything else around here. It doesn't leave me much time to get to my room and play with the airbrush.

Now the danged lawn needs mowing again!

Chris

• Like 3
  • Sad 9

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I hope its only a simple summer cold or allergies, and nothing too serious. 

She just got back from having a swab test done, so we'll see. She a bit of a hypocondriac, in my opinion. 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, bbudde said:

Thought you disapeared into the ice bin in the cellar.  37°C in the shadow here.  Not really bearable outside now.

Cheers

Yikes Ben, that's HOT! Stay cool, if you can :) 

16 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I've not done a thing in days now. The wife has been feeling a bit low with a cough and sinus issues. She has self-isolated in the bedroom ( again! ) so I've been left to do everything else around here. It doesn't leave me much time to get to my room and play with the airbrush.

Now the danged lawn needs mowing again!

Chris

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I hope its only a simple summer cold or allergies, and nothing too serious. 

13 hours ago, dogsbody said:

She just got back from having a swab test done, so we'll see. She a bit of a hypocondriac, in my opinion. 

Chris

Thanks Chris and Dennis :) 

Chris I hope your wife feels better soon and isn't 'positive' - that could lead to self-isolation. Perhaps the man cave would be a good place to choose?

Still low on the mojo. I have masked one of the Armas but I'm also being distracted by Reacher (on #3)

• Like 5

9 hours ago, CedB said:

that's HOT! Stay cool, if you can

Yes I do, which means water over the head and body every hour, even indoors at the ground floor. Last midnight 27°C and it didn't go down that much. Today very humid with 34°C till some heavy storms appeared. Now 23°C, but very humid again:shrug:. Hope Thursday will bring a change downwards to acceptable conditions. Otherwise I'll stay sluggish and lazy as now.

Cheers Benedikt on too hot dog days (Hundstage)

• Sad 1

Thanks Ben and Johnny :) 

Almost a week since the last progress.

I blame this damned heat.

Storms over the last few days have hopefully cooled things down (23º as I type) and, if it's cooler tomorrow, I should feel like moving.

Hopefully.

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, CedB said:

Almost a week since the last progress.

I blame this damned heat.

Storms over the last few days have hopefully cooled things down (23º as I type) and, if it's cooler tomorrow, I should feel like moving.

Hopefully.

I know what you mean Ced, the mercury was registering 32. C during the week in our flat.

And that was with the windows open, just to hot to sit at the bench.

Stay cool.

Simon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 09/08/2020 at 11:03, CedB said:

Still low on the mojo. I have masked one of the Armas but I'm also being distracted by Reacher (on #3)

Ced,

I forget whether you decided to read them in publishing order, or "chronological" order, and it's too hot to go flipping back.

If you like the Reacher style, as I do, I've also enjoyed the "Orphan X" books, by Gregg Hurwitz.

Similar style, but different enough from the Reacher books.

A while ago I mentioned that Scale Aircraft modelling had done a build of the Arma hurricane in 1/72. You asked what they thought of it; the builder gave it high marks, but did change the kit exhausts for QuickBoost resin replacements as he felt the kit ones weren't altogether up to scratch.

Yours is looking good, but the heat - too much!

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I read the ' Orphan X books ' too, they are good but I think the Reacher series just has the edge on them.

The weather has broken at last, I was beginning to worry as the temperature in the man cave reached 24.5 on Thursday!

John

• Like 3

On 15/08/2020 at 06:35, Biggles87 said:

I read the ' Orphan X books ' too, they are good but I think the Reacher series just has the edge on them.

The weather has broken at last, I was beginning to worry as the temperature in the man cave reached 24.5 on Thursday!

John

Glad to hear your weather has broken - ours has to an extent, after some rain most of thursday the temperature has plunged from 33 to 21. Much more comfortable!

As for Orphan X v Reacher, I like them both. As I've said, similar concept, different style.

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1