Hurricane Trio - Arma and Airfix 1/72

Thanks John, Mark (lo), Mark (2996), Alistair, hendie, Tony and Giorgio for the good wishes for Mols :)

She does seem better and I've just had a video call with the vet who's happy with progress - expecting full effects by Thursday and test results soon.

Hopefully that'll be an end to it!

22 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Great goodness. seven pages in to this & I hadn't even spotted it. Hell,. I must have been wandering around with my head firmly up my fundamental you know what. I think I need to go think about what's going on,  I may be gone for some time.  :(

Steve.

Hi Steve and welcome! :) 

21 hours ago, Jur said:

Thanks for the heads-up re. the tropical filter. Mind you, when I see what you have to do to use those extra PE bits I might opt for the non-expert version anyway!

That carving tool looks the bees knees, and with 5 alternative blades too.  With the blades ranging from 0.2 to 1 mm, I hope you noticed this disclaimer further down the blurb:

"Please allow 0-1cm error due to manual measurement. pls make sure you do not mind before you bid."  :D

Thanks Jur for the heads-up - I hope that's a translation problem! :) 

Of course now that I've bought some the Internet algorithms are showing me all sorts of options for purchase - too late as usual.

For others, here are some that look interesting:

U-STAR UA-91903 Tungsten Steel Line Carver, £23.20 from AliExpress. youTube review here.

AliExpress also have the DSPIAE Hook Broaches for those who like the brand.

Of course the reviews that compared other products made me remember that I had this at the back of the drawer:

50107485911_683117c14d_z.jpg

Look, at the back - the Tamiya scriber:

50107729657_9c8848b9bf_z.jpg

That would have helped clean out the i/p slot, had I remembered it! Senior moment…

13 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Hmm, I'm watching closely as I have an Arma Hurricane on the go now too Ced. I've already had trouble closing up the wing, and will be on the lookout for the fuselage.

Hope Mols stays well!

Thanks Cookie :) 

Did you 'do a PC' and put the bays in upside down? Easy to do…

His thread also has some planning for 'The Trip' so worth a look?

Still fiddling with the close up, pilot selection commenced:

50107730892_6215392872_z.jpg

As usual, the Airfix Archie is too chubby for a single seater.

I'm also worried about the control column fouling on their legs.

I have a solution for that… surgery will be performed on some of these soon:

50107492466_d2b276acfa_z.jpg

• Like 16

46 minutes ago, CedB said:

made me remember that I had this at the back of the drawer:

When a bloke has so many tools he can’t remember which ones he has!😁

AW

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I've got some of the manspreading pilots. If you'd like them, let me know because I'm planning on going to the Post Office on Wednesday.

• Thanks 1

I came back, it didn't take near as long as I thought, fairly rollicked along & some great Hurricane building lore imparted along the way. I thought to go back to the start & follow in Master Ced's tracks but there was a mass of footsteps like a horde had passed that way too, but from time to time I was able to spy the Masters trail & know I had travelled truly, so, here I am again. I will try & keep up. :)

Steve.

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, CedB said:

You've seen my solution for this? In the 1st post.

Steve.

19 hours ago, Andwil said:

When a bloke has so many tools he can’t remember which ones he has!😁

AW

I know AW, sad isn't it? I've 'upgraded' several of my tools over the years but I really should review my drawers (fnaar!) to refresh my memory :) 

18 hours ago, Beard said:

I've got some of the manspreading pilots. If you'd like them, let me know because I'm planning on going to the Post Office on Wednesday.

Thanks Simon - very kind of you :) Pilots are always welcome and, if you don't need them, I'll be happy to give them a home.

17 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I came back, it didn't take near as long as I thought, fairly rollicked along & some great Hurricane building lore imparted along the way. I thought to go back to the start & follow in Master Ced's tracks but there was a mass of footsteps like a horde had passed that way too, but from time to time I was able to spy the Masters trail & know I had travelled truly, so, here I am again. I will try & keep up. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve - too kind :rofl2:

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

You've seen my solution for this? In the 1st post.

Steve.

Genius, absolute genius! I thought my surgery was pretty severe but wow, you've taken it to a new level! 

The Archies in my stock are holding their privates as we speak. Oh no, wait, they always do that…

I hope you don't mind Steve but I want to share it here…

50077872657_02780c425d_z.jpg

DSCF3063 by Steve Hannah, on Flickr

As I posted in your Moth thread, the new skinny seems to be looking at his mate and saying (presumably in a high voice) "It'll be fine mate. He did that to me as well and the stinging goes away in a couple of hours".

Last night I decided to face my demon:

50110648746_23589e0955_z.jpg

Ignore the unglued (as yet) fuselage bottom and look at the wing roots… nice.

50110081858_19a95755f5_z.jpg

There's no gap at the roots either:

50110651011_b6854e3015_z.jpg

I'm going to be more careful with the other kit and try to establish where I went wrong.

More later.

• Like 16
  • Haha 2

Nice scriber. I use an rbtools Scribe-r and a steel rule. Works well but then again as  I  mostly build WWI and interwar types I don’t have to do all that much scribing. I’m also hoping to cheat by foiling my Caproni.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

the new skinny seems to be looking at his mate

That wasn't 'sposed to happen but in hindsight, it'll add a bit of verisimili interest to the finished product I hope. 

Steve.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Simon - very kind of you :) Pilots are always welcome and, if you don't need them, I'll be happy to give them a home.

I'll find a box for them and pop them in the post tomorrow (Wednesday).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CedB said:

the new skinny seems to be looking at his mate and saying (presumably in a high voice) "It'll be fine mate.

Is that your new method to put them on a diet Dr. Frankenced? Very unique way, I must admit. Cheers

• Haha 2

On 7/13/2020 at 11:23 AM, CedB said:

Good looking Archie's. ;)

Who's James May? Ok, I remember he flew the Spitfire...

Cheers / André 

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Marklo said:

Nice scriber. I use an rbtools Scribe-r and a steel rule. Works well but then again as  I  mostly build WWI and interwar types I don’t have to do all that much scribing. I’m also hoping to cheat by foiling my Caproni.

Thanks Mark :) To be honest I don't do any scribing except for reinstating panel lines I've sanded off (sometimes).

Of course I have a variety of scribers, none of which get regular use and NONE of which have achieved their reason for purchase of making my models better.

Must be me then…

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:
8 hours ago, CedB said:

the new skinny seems to be looking at his mate

That wasn't 'sposed to happen but in hindsight, it'll add a bit of verisimili interest to the finished product I hope. 

Steve.

It did Steve - good accident! :) 

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice to see you are back to macroscopic modelling! And poor old Molly (wasn’t eating breakfast but it was close). Silly place to put glands, if you ask me...

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian - Yep silly place to put them :D 

Vet called today - they found two paf pather patho things that shouldn't be there in the swab and she now has two weeks worth of targeted antibiotics.

Another £80 down the dog :( 

3 hours ago, Beard said:

I'll find a box for them and pop them in the post tomorrow (Wednesday).

Thanks Simon - really appreciated! Do let me know if I can send you anything in return :) 

3 hours ago, bbudde said:

Is that your new method to put them on a diet Dr. Frankenced? Very unique way, I must admit. Cheers

Thanks Ben :D 

2 hours ago, Andre B said:

Good looking Archie's. ;)

Who's James May? Ok, I remember he flew the Spitfire...

Cheers / André 

Thanks André :) 

Yep, and he built the 1:1 Airfix kit of one!

A tiny bit of thinned Humbrol Filler on the Arma and the Airfix caught up:

50110931921_31915c3723_z.jpg

I then spent over an hour on the 'phone trying to get Three to talk to me about an 'outstanding debt' I apparently have on a MiFi device I bought in 2010 and haven't used for about seven years or so. Still not resolved and making me angry so best stay away from breakables for a bit. I do wish that companies would employ people who could communicate over the 'phone - not being able to spell your own name was NOT a good start!

Calm…calm…

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Simon - really appreciated! Do let me know if I can send you anything in return

No need for anything in return. (Unless you have a 50s ES-175 that you don't need.)

Edited by Beard
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Vet called today - they found two paf pather patho things that shouldn't be there in the swab and she now has two weeks worth of targeted antibiotics.

Another £80 down the dog

Give Mols a pat and belly rub for us all, Ced.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Oh man hope Mols gets better soon. I popped a like for the progress too. Three can do one. 🤨

lovely looking progress. 😇 The ip is looking very nice indeed. Oh by the way I tested some of the tube metal stuff you use. I’m impressed. I’ll pop some pics on the Venom wip. Do you ever varnish it? 

John

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, giemme said:

I put a "like" for your progress pic, not for the Three thing .... :(  And I hope Mols get sorted soon 🤞

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) Mols is on her two-week antibiotic but is potty as usual!

I sorted the Three thing this morning! (See below)

18 hours ago, Beard said:

No need for anything in return. (Unless you have a 50s ES-175 that you don't need.)

Thanks Simon, very kind :) 

The only guitar I have here is a cheapish Spanish one I bought when trying to find something to stop me thinking about the business.

Like my modelling I also bought 'the tools' - an electronic tuner thingie - and, like my modelling, it did nothing to improve my skills.

Still couldn't strum my way out of trouble if you asked me…

17 hours ago, Whofan said:

Give Mols a pat and belly rub for us all, Ced.

Done! Thanks John :) 🐾

12 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Ow. Hope your equilibrium returns soon.

Regards,

Adrian

Finally, this morning! (See below).

Still de-stressing to be honest… :) 

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Oh man hope Mols gets better soon. I popped a like for the progress too. Three can do one. 🤨

lovely looking progress. 😇 The ip is looking very nice indeed. Oh by the way I tested some of the tube metal stuff you use. I’m impressed. I’ll pop some pics on the Venom wip. Do you ever varnish it? 

John

Thanks Jont :) 

I've never varnished the paste (from memory - uh oh). It's shiny anyway so takes transfers perfectly - as long as you scrub / buff it, or spray it (of course). I think I've weathered on top with no problems too. For example my Beaufighter prototype.

I don't know how long it would need before the varnish… overnight?

Perhaps you could try it on your mule and let us know?

De-stressing at the moment.

Let me bore you with the story (you can skip this if you like)

This is not a text you want to receive:

50114972066_6f1d6c68e2_m.jpg

The latest of the daily texts I've been getting for two weeks.

Why?

In 2010 I got this 'MiFi' device that let me use my laptop when there was no Wifi about (remember then?)

50115243972_b75d57bb5d_m.jpg

That got replaced by a 'better model' quite quickly (if I can remember rightly that long ago) but it now transpires that the £10 odd monthly direct debit nor the account were cancelled.

I sold my company in 2017.

Apparently they stopped paying the DD in May. After 10 years.

It's taken me two weeks to get someone at Three a ) to talk to me (can you remember 10 year-old passwords? Luckily I found it in a file) and b ) to resolve the issue.

This is a text you DO want to receive:

50114402048_de34007533_m.jpg

Account and outstanding balance cancelled.

Thanks Three.

I think.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

While talking to the Three 'Customer Service' team I became even more aware of how multi-cultural our life is.

Good stuff.

Until you ask their name 'for your records'. 

Poor Bibin pronounced 'B' like 'P' and we had to resort to the phonetic alphabet - Oscar Kilo, eventually.

Reminded me of a great 'Goodness Gracious Me' sketch showing the problem, only the other way around... trying to pronounce 'Jonathan'.

Can't find it on YouTube but gave me a chance to watch 'Going for an English' again :rofl2:

Also this morning they were talking on the radio about dirty keyboards during the pandemic.

THAT reminded me of the 'MAC' terminal we had that typed on its own. One of these:

50114906002_31720ff150.jpg

(Actually I think that's an Ops console but hey, it's old and the case is the same)

We weren't supposed to eat or drink in 'the Terminal Room' as we took our booked slot for one of six connections to the mainframe.

We did, of course.

Notice the keyboard case? Solid metal, Tempest Tested, seamless box.

Why was the terminal typing on its own?

Full of coffee and the liquid was shorting the bottom of the keys.

Ah, those were the days…

Right, I reckon I'll be de-stressed enough for some modelling soon. Fingers crossed.

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, CedB said:

Reminded me of a great 'Goodness Gracious Me' sketch showing the problem, only the other way around

Like Sanjeev pronounced St. John? :rofl: 

I remember I had many a good loughs when travelling around Europe for my previous job, and watching "Goodness Gracious Me" on TV at the hotel after a full day spent in a telecommunication Operative Centre with an angry customer.... :D 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Full of coffee and the liquid was shorting the bottom of the keys.

I spilt a coffee with three sugars (pre-diabetes days!!) all over my keyboard one day (it was just a plastic one though). Unplugged it, took it into the Gents, washed it out under the cold tap, gave it a couple of good shakes (the keyboard....!!!) and it worked perfectly!!

6 hours ago, CedB said:

This is a text you DO want to receive:

50114402048_de34007533_m.jpg

They should be sued for abuse of the English Language.....!!

Glad you got it sorted Ced!

K

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just like that, thanks Giorgio :D

Thanks Keith - yes, not their best grammar eh? :D 

Well, guess what?

BBC iPlayer has 22 episodes of 'Goodness Gracious Me' available and the 'Johnathan' sketch is the first sketch in the first episode!

Cheque please!

• Haha 4