Hurricane Trio - Arma and Airfix 1/72

I noticed in the latest Scale Aircraft Modelling (July issue)  someone does a build of the Arma 1/72 hurricane.

I confess I found the coincidence amusing.

• Haha 1

In the picture below, the red circled area is Tamiya XF-16. The rest of the paint is Citadel Mithril Silver.

Not much difference between them.

50066055057_ea42c4381f_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Mark :) 

I posted a thread back in 2015 about the Vallejo colours and received a reply to an email from their boss! I think they've put a lot of work into the paints since I bought my RAF set so, if you're after acrylics to spray, I'd recommend them!

I'm a great Apple fan (bought a Mac when they first came out in 1984) but I'm not sure I can suggest an iPhone just for iModelKit - pinch your wife's occasionally! (The 'phone, that is, fnaar!)

Mrs B had a problem with her battery like and I put this down to the fact that she never closes an app - and some have 'background refresh' turned on. I think the record is well into double figures!

Troy is a great source of reference material and my top Hurricane Guru - it's a great pleasure to have him watching and helping with builds :) 

If you're tinkering with vintage MGs you should contact Bill (@perdu) - he's a fan too!

Hi Ced,

thanks again for the recommendation on the Vallejo paints - I'm really looking forward to having a go with them. I've got myself a big can of airbrush propellant (badger wind 😆) to keep me going until I can sneak a small compressor under the radar! Actually, my good lady is very understanding. I'll bear in mind what you've said about the iPhone (incidentally, I do pinch my fiancee's as often as I can, but not her phone, fnaar fnaar!)

I wonder if @Troy Smith or indeed anyone else could point me in the direction of details of the Mk.IId armoured radiator? And indeed if there was any other external armour on the Mk.IId. And hopefully I'll run into Bill @perdu as well (those MG brakes......).

Incidentally, I've not been able to resist and I started a bit of assembly on one of my Mk.IIc kits yesterday (which will become a Mk.IId) despite not being anywhere near finishing my Tomahawk! You're a bad influence, young man! Keep it up!

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CedB said:

I bought mine for the Vallejo as well - I got fed up with shaking and shaking and still seeing pigment 'stuck' to the bottom (snigger!)

Ced, you can easily remove the stuck on bottom pigment by simply removing the white bit with a hole in it (technical term) on the top of Valejo (and similar) bottles, stick in a Tamiya paint mixer (or McDonalds coffee stick thingie (technical term)) and giving the paint a good old fashioned stir, rather than this modern fad of shaking things. Replace said white plastic bit before inverting bottle and squeezing to remove paint. Unless you wish to remove all of it  :rolleyes:  

But then that wouldn't have given you an excuse er, a reason, to buy another tool.... :whistle: 🤣

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I can't get one model finished inside 8 months and there you are cracking on with 3 at once, Show off!

Great start, Ced, To my eyes the airfix kit looks like it compares quite well to it's more exotic desk-mates so far?

As you were.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, chrislowe said:

I can't get one model finished inside 8 months and there you are cracking on with 3 at once, Show off!

Hmm maybe I better slow down my build rate. Ive got 21 complete so far this year with another 12-15 scheduled. 

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

165 is what it looks like to me.

Thanks Heather :) MSG eh? That might come in handy…

22 hours ago, rob85 said:

Ditto

nice bit of work on the CP.

Rob

Thanks Rob :) 

18 hours ago, Whofan said:

I noticed in the latest Scale Aircraft Modelling (July issue)  someone does a build of the Arma 1/72 hurricane.

Thanks John :) How did they get on?

17 hours ago, dogsbody said:

In the picture below, the red circled area is Tamiya XF-16. The rest of the paint is Citadel Mithril Silver.

Not much difference between them.

[snip pic]

Chris

Thanks Chris :) 

Of course, if everyone produced accurate paint colours they would be the same eh? Not sure where Citadel would get their Mithril Silver reference from though :D 

16 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Ced,

thanks again for the recommendation on the Vallejo paints - I'm really looking forward to having a go with them. I've got myself a big can of airbrush propellant (badger wind 😆) to keep me going until I can sneak a small compressor under the radar! Actually, my good lady is very understanding. I'll bear in mind what you've said about the iPhone (incidentally, I do pinch my fiancee's as often as I can, but not her phone, fnaar fnaar!)

I wonder if @Troy Smith or indeed anyone else could point me in the direction of details of the Mk.IId armoured radiator? And indeed if there was any other external armour on the Mk.IId. And hopefully I'll run into Bill @perdu as well (those MG brakes......).

Incidentally, I've not been able to resist and I started a bit of assembly on one of my Mk.IIc kits yesterday (which will become a Mk.IId) despite not being anywhere near finishing my Tomahawk! You're a bad influence, young man! Keep it up!

Kind regards,

Mark

You're very welcome Mark :) 

I hope you get on OK with the aerosol - don't let it put you off if not, a compressor and good AB will make all the difference.

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Ced, you can easily remove the stuck on bottom pigment by simply removing the white bit with a hole in it (technical term) on the top of Valejo (and similar) bottles, stick in a Tamiya paint mixer (or McDonalds coffee stick thingie (technical term)) and giving the paint a good old fashioned stir, rather than this modern fad of shaking things. Replace said white plastic bit before inverting bottle and squeezing to remove paint. Unless you wish to remove all of it  :rolleyes:  

But then that wouldn't have given you an excuse er, a reason, to buy another tool.... :whistle: 🤣

Keith

Thanks Keith - good tip! :D 

11 hours ago, chrislowe said:

Great start, Ced, To my eyes the airfix kit looks like it compares quite well to it's more exotic desk-mates so far?

As you were.

Chris

Thanks Chris :) 

The Airfix kit is quite good to be honest especially if you're looking for a fabric wing and is really good value.

The Arma kits are harder plastic with finer detail but more expensive.

Horses for courses I guess.

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hmm maybe I better slow down my build rate. Ive got 21 complete so far this year with another 12-15 scheduled. 

Wow Dennis, 21! I've only managed nine! But, in my defence, some were really fiddly :D 

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I haven't inished 21 in the last 5 years....!!!

Ah yes Keith, but how many have you started? :D 

I've done some more paint dobbing on the internals but then I got distracted… the new garden table and chairs arrived.

Our old one went rotten in places over the winter and isn't big enough for social distancing anyway. Don't ask…

Not wanting to add to the Chinese conspiracy theories I do have to say that the chairs seem to have been 'inscrutably wrapped'.

Just when I though I'd cut all the sellotape another bit would prevent removal of the bubble wrap around the legs and arms.

Having done one (of eight) I started a stop watch so I could tell you how long it took to unwrap.

Then this happened:

50068050646_aa5401990c_w.jpg

I was using a 'safe' Stanley knife blade that I use to open boxes:

50068143316_cbdc2c5167_n.jpg

It's only sharp on the inside of the hook.

But, apparently, you can stick the whole thing in your thumb if you're not careful.

Ask me how I know…

It bled, a lot.

I'm also realising that, although I'm right handed, I use my left thumb for lots of things.

Holding coffee mugs. Ouch.

Holding part trees. Ouch.

Holding paint jars when trying to open them. Double ouch.

It's healed over well this morning (isn't anatomy wonderful?) but I'm being careful not to open the wound.

More tomorrow.

Or maybe later.

• Like 9
  • Sad 9

1 minute ago, CedB said:
18 hours ago, Whofan said:

Thanks John :) How did they get on?

I haven't read it fully, but the builder seemed to like it.

Or, where @CedB leads, magazines follow!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, CedB said:

Mithril Silver reference

S'easy. It’s a magical silver, mined by the Dwarfs in Tolkien's fantasy world. When made into armour and mail coats it confers immunity against many sharp weapons. Frodo famously wears a jerkin made of Mithras chain mail that saves his his life early in the first book.

Sorry. I was quite the Lord of The Rings nut back in the day. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

38 minutes ago, CedB said:

Ah yes Keith, but how many have you started? :D 

No comment.... :whistle:

38 minutes ago, CedB said:

Then this happened:

50068050646_aa5401990c_w.jpg

Ouch indeed - get well soon thumb! 

Use some Tamiya tape on that plaster Ced, it'll stick much better! :)

K

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, CedB said:

Of course, if everyone produced accurate paint colours they would be the same eh?

Very much doubt it. How do you define 'accurate paint colour'...??!! 

K

• Haha 1

J

3 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I was quite the Lord of The Rings nut back in the day. 

Me too. But just imagine trying to get a colour swatch, even in middle earth Mithril was pretty rare.

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

How do you define 'accurate paint colour'...??!! 

Soapbox out. Colour is a combination of the object the lighting and the observer ‘S perception( psychometric testing anybody) So allow for age, weathering, lighting conditions and basically there is no such thing :) Soapbox back.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Soapbox out. Colour is a combination of the object the lighting and the observer ‘S perception( psychometric testing anybody) So allow for age, weathering, lighting conditions and basically there is no such thing :) Soapbox back.

Quite.

K

• Like 1

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I haven't inished 21 in the last 5 years....!!!

True I guess I am a bit of a freak being medically retired (disabled), I have all day to research and build. If you ever need help researching im always willing to help. Just tag me using the @ symbol or P/M me to let me know. If i cant find the answers I will at best try to point you in the best direction I think will help you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Wow Dennis, 21! I've only managed nine! But, in my defence, some were really fiddly :D 

Yes they were werent they. Yes sadly i thought moving to 1/72 would be good as i wouldn't need as much room to store them. Problem is I can get them done sometimes way quicker than 1/48. Im also (medically retired) Disabled so have no life outside of modeling (sad isn't it)? So nothing except a new puppy which is slowing my build rate way down. So maybe i wont hit my number for the year anyways. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

being medically retired (disabled),

Me too... 

I just have no determination to get things done... :)

If you ever need help researching im always willing to help. Just tag me using the @ symbol or P/M me to let me know. If i cant find the answers I will at best try to point you in the best direction I think will help you. 

That's really kind of you  :)

Keith

• Like 2

Disabled so have no life outside of modeling (sad isn't it)? So nothing except a new puppy which is slowing my build rate way down.

I bet the pup is cheering you up though Dennis? I used to get to walk my son's dog a couple of times a week, but haven't been able to go out for 3 months now due to this damned bug. And the grumpy old cat we've got isn't quite the same! 🤣

Keith

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I bet the pup is cheering you up though Dennis? I used to get to walk my son's dog a couple of times a week, but haven't been able to go out for 3 months now due to this damned bug. And the grumpy old cat we've got isn't quite the same! 🤣

Keith

Yes after having to put down two very senior dogs, one in February and the other May. I needed a new 4 legged child, I was missing the comfort that a pet brings. 

• Like 5

Great! Not only do I somehow manage to miss a Ced thread for an entire 4 pages, but when I do find it, he stabs himself!

I'm going for a beer, call me when normality resumes.....

Ian

• Haha 7