Hurricane Trio - Arma and Airfix 1/72

When I did my Airfix kit's gear bays, I just filed/scraped all the edges as flat as possible and glued them in as directed in the instructions, using Extra Thin cement.

Came out not too bad for me.

50055148016_8b299ca1c3_c.jpg

50055394622_eb1348cf86_c.jpg

50054569093_617e8f2013_c.jpg

50055394672_2034fc3aa9_c.jpg

I painted mine with Tamiya XF-16 Flat Aluminum.

Looks like I should have smoothed back the edges of the opening in the bottom wing a bit better, though.

Chris

• Like 11

On their "British Aircraft RAF-FAA WWII (1939/945)" documentation sheet Vallejo list 3 varieties of Interior Grey-Green: Model Air AV71126, AV71305 and AV71095. Similar shades, but the one a bit darker than the other. I use two of those to provide some variation.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Hamden said:

Nice start Ced, seems a shame to hide that undercarriage detail, one on approach for landing perhaps?

Roger

Tempting Roger, but I've promised the wheels to Troy. Of course, I could always build another later :) 

19 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

I think, not much! 😀 Although having said that, the AeroMaster US interior green was alright, except that I thinned it for spraying (first use of my airbrush in 25+ years!) and it was a bit too thin - I think I may have thinned it all those years ago!

But I've heard good things about Vallejo, so I'm going with their products at least for now - I hope their RAF desert camo colours are right.....ish! I'm lucky that my nearest model shop (WD Models in Chesterfield - no connection, etc) stock their range, and they reopened a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, I'll stop hijacking your thread now 🙂

Kind regards,

Mark

Thanks Mark - don't worry about hijacking the thread, discussion is all part of the fun! :)

I like Vallejo Air for spraying and was pretty committed before I discovered Colourcoats. Good choice if it's available locally and I hope their initial problems with their colour charts have been sorted now - we had some discussion about it some time ago. 

Watch out for 71.010 'Interior Green' though - it's US interior green as I discovered after buying a few bottles :doh:

If you have an iPhone I can recommend the iModelKit app - it does really well matching brands with various paint standards so you can see how close they are and has a useful inventory (in the full version) to keep track of your pots. The extra cost is worth it IMHO - saved me buying paint I already had when in the shop!

Its mixer facility is also good at calculating a mix for odd colours from your stock.

19 hours ago, alt-92 said:

If you already are used to ModelAir, the bog-standard 71.062 Alu does just fine for this kind of work :)

Oh and Interior Green has a close equivalent in 71.126 IDF/AF green.

Thanks alt :) 

18 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

re the canopy options and shapes, 

as I say, curved rail and the canopy flexes as it moves along the runnners

shut

[snip pic]

open, and note rail curve

[snip pic]

from

while a Sea Hurricane, lovely restoration, and very good for getting a feel of the airframe.  Just note tyhat up unitil 1942 the internals are all aluminium paint apart from the cockpit side walls and bulkhead.

regarding the various props

they are

De Haviland Hurricane

'Spitfire' Rotol and Hurricane 'bullet' Rotol, these use the same blades.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

No, I don't know if the bullet Rotol is a CM/1 or a ES/9, and in 72nd there is very little difference to see ....

More great information - noted, thanks Troy :) 

Stunning photos too.

17 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wow, I can't imagine the progress under comfortable temperatures if this is your build rate in the heat.

Wonderful modelling Ced, thanks for the side-by-side and showing the soon to be hidden gear bay internals. A true gentleman indeed.

Thanks Cookie :) Of course if I was a real gentleman I'd assemble the u/c too but hey, I have my limits…

15 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi,

Apologies for asking what are probably daft questions so please forgive me, but presumably the non-aluminium-painted areas were interior green and how much of the cockpit sidewalls were so painted?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Mark

No need to apologise Mark - the only daft question is the one you don't ask! :) 

Troy stated above "Just note that up until 1942 the internals are all aluminium paint apart from the cockpit side walls and bulkhead." The kit instructions match that too.

Be careful though when looking at walkarounds - lots of restorations out there not in 'original' colours.

13 hours ago, dogsbody said:

When I did my Airfix kit's gear bays, I just filed/scraped all the edges as flat as possible and glued them in as directed in the instructions, using Extra Thin cement.

Came out not too bad for me.

[snip pics]

I painted mine with Tamiya XF-16 Flat Aluminum.

Looks like I should have smoothed back the edges of the opening in the bottom wing a bit better, though.

Chris

Looks good to me Chris, nice job :)

I have some XF-16 so I'll use that, thanks.

I panicked a bit when I saw the pipe in the bay and thought you'd scratched it, but for some reason Airfix have you add that at step 12. Weird. Good job I hadn't weathered the bay.

I must look ahead in instructions. One day 🙄

13 hours ago, Jur said:

On their "British Aircraft RAF-FAA WWII (1939/945)" documentation sheet Vallejo list 3 varieties of Interior Grey-Green: Model Air AV71126, AV71305 and AV71095. Similar shades, but the one a bit darker than the other. I use two of those to provide some variation.

Thanks Jur - helpful :) 

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

What a photo that is - superb!

K

Agreed Keith :) 

• Like 4

How do the wings look?

Despite both kits having tiny locating pins the leading edges are slightly misaligned:

50057149096_e4ed888f0d_z.jpg

Pretty usual I guess and they've all been sanded now.

The Armas have much thinner and nicer trailing edges though:

50056576108_5538897358_z.jpg

…although the fit on the Airfix required sanding anyway.

On to the internals.

I'm going to follow the instructions (for once) but please feel free to comment.

In the old days I used to buy a kit AND required paint from my LMS and I assume my tin of Hu156 was for this.

It's not kept well:

50056765848_496f8c52dd_z.jpg

Similarly the tin of Hu 70:

50057584492_497c1c9292_z.jpg

Time to try the nail varnish shaker with a couple of AK steel balls in each tin:

50056773488_0f27c3d366_z.jpg

Not blurred, it's shaking!

Impressive:

50057346581_8421d13e79_z.jpg

Not so good when applied though, should have shaken the grey for longer:

50057364831_3e203bae53_z.jpg

I quite like the effect from the brown though.

Backgammon this morning so that'll get a chance to dry.

And stop smelling, although that smell does take me back…

• Like 14

Great reference for the wheel bays on these two Ced. We certainly seem to be spoiled for 1/72 Hurricane kits these days! Now that the weather is a bit cooler, is Wednesday a good day to check in for the finished items?

On silvers and the like, I’ll give a shout out to Revell Aqua Silver (shiny) and Aluminium (flatter), and Citadel Boltgun/Leadbelcher (darker) as my go-to brush silver shades, all acrylics.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Good fettling on the undercarriage bays.I use Tamiya flat aluminium thinned with cellulose thinner for silver painted internals these days but that’s just my preference.

Stop showing us these tools! I’ve already decided that I need a mini-vac, now I’m going to need a paint shaker, as my adapted cocktail stirrer is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Waiting impatiently for a Hunter

John

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Great reference for the wheel bays on these two Ced. We certainly seem to be spoiled for 1/72 Hurricane kits these days! Now that the weather is a bit cooler, is Wednesday a good day to check in for the finished items?

On silvers and the like, I’ll give a shout out to Revell Aqua Silver (shiny) and Aluminium (flatter), and Citadel Boltgun/Leadbelcher (darker) as my go-to brush silver shades, all acrylics.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian :)

Citadel? I'd forgotten I'd bought these as well so added to the test set:

50058342911_bac93ed7a0_z.jpg

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Going apace with these, Ced! :clap:  Hard to keep up, especially with this heat and the pool and all... :D :whistle:

Ciao

Pool envy here Giorgio, but as the temperature's dropped today, maybe not! :D 

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Good fettling on the undercarriage bays.I use Tamiya flat aluminium thinned with cellulose thinner for silver painted internals these days but that’s just my preference.

Stop showing us these tools! I’ve already decided that I need a mini-vac, now I’m going to need a paint shaker, as my adapted cocktail stirrer is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Waiting impatiently for a Hunter

John

Thanks John - in the test! :) 

Sorry for the tool display (fnaar!) but I can't promise to stop…

Hu78 Cockpit Green to the ready.

Airfix:

50057729348_6d95ce5dbf_z.jpg

Arma 'Kit':

50058542807_46135550fd_z.jpg

Top of bulkheads also done on both.

'Expert' lumps removed:

50057732068_c1ec5d7525_z.jpg

…and painted:

50058327376_456d9f4ea0_z.jpg

Aluminium tests later.

• Like 16

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Mark - don't worry about hijacking the thread, discussion is all part of the fun! :)

I like Vallejo Air for spraying and was pretty committed before I discovered Colourcoats. Good choice if it's available locally and I hope their initial problems with their colour charts have been sorted now - we had some discussion about it some time ago. 

Watch out for 71.010 'Interior Green' though - it's US interior green as I discovered after buying a few bottles :doh:

If you have an iPhone I can recommend the iModelKit app - it does really well matching brands with various paint standards so you can see how close they are and has a useful inventory (in the full version) to keep track of your pots. The extra cost is worth it IMHO - saved me buying paint I already had when in the shop!

Its mixer facility is also good at calculating a mix for odd colours from your stock.

Hi Ced,

many thanks for the extra info re- the Vallejo colours. I haven't used them yet - waiting for a return of decent weather as my spray booth is the back garden (I think I need to rig up something better that's in a low-dust environment, especially before I start spraying the camo colours!). I have got the Interior Green, but for some reason suspected it was US rather than UK, I'll be using it on my Tomahawk IIb though.

I haven't got an iPhone, although my good lady has one and is always saying how wonderful it is (as well as "Oh, b****y hell, the battery's flat again!" 😆) so I may get one at some point - the app sounds good as I can never keep a mental track of what I've got in stock!

7 hours ago, CedB said:

No need to apologise Mark - the only daft question is the one you don't ask! :) 

Troy stated above "Just note that up until 1942 the internals are all aluminium paint apart from the cockpit side walls and bulkhead." The kit instructions match that too.

Be careful though when looking at walkarounds - lots of restorations out there not in 'original' colours.

And thanks again! I noticed @Troy Smith's info re the cockpit colours. I'd only opened the boxes of my two Mk.IIc kits and had a quick drool, without opening the cellophane packaging and actually looking at the instructions. I've done that now, and the kit's instructions are quite good with their colour call-outs, aren't they? The 3-view plans are quite a work of art, too!

I've been looking at cockpit views and walkarounds for my Tomahawk build, and no two are the same, even those of supposedly the same variant. But I've been tinkering with vintage MGs for years, and trying to track down originality isn't the easiest, so I always approach restored cars/trains/aeroplanes with a weather eye!

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 2

Re Interior Green: the name is a bit of a give-away.  The British colour was called Grey Green, or later Aircraft Grey Green.  That's the problem of using casual terms rather than the real ones, people get misled.  Even Interior Green wasn't the green used on all US aircraft interiors, by some margin. 

There's no such thing as a simple aircraft.

• Like 3

Ced! That pilot armour seat back ( Part D5 )! I think it should be painted Humbrol 78 Matt Cockpit Green. I asked here about that when I was building mine and was advised to use the green.

This is how I did mine.

33810456528_95bb013164_o.jpg

Chris

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Re Interior Green: the name is a bit of a give-away.  The British colour was called Grey Green, or later Aircraft Grey Green.  That's the problem of using casual terms rather than the real ones, people get misled.  Even Interior Green wasn't the green used on all US aircraft interiors, by some margin. 

Hi Graham,

very true - and I really should have remembered the Grey Green/Aircraft Grey Green, but my excuse is that its a long time since I last built an aeroplane kit 🙂 I've settled on Vallejo's 72.126 IDF Green (as recommended above) which I hope will pass muster!

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 2

I can recommend the citadel metallic paints, there’s also runefag steel which is brighter than the other two you have. I used the ironbreaker for the B24 and it came out rather nice.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Ced,

I'm silently lurking your WIP thread and have to say that the nail polish shaker is the best.  I didn't know such a think existed and I think would be perfect for my old Vallejo paints that come in the eyedropper bottles.  Now I can shake the heck out of them using a machine that my wife and daughters think I got for them.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Silvers, I do use Tamiya silver but find it’s lacking in body so I add a slug of medium gray, which seems to do the trick. My favourite is humbrol metalcote  it one of the few enamels I still use.

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1

Nice choices and good start Ced, I have built the Arms MK1 Royal Navy and it was a very nice kit, equally I enjoyed both Airfix early Mk I s too they are nice kits especially considering their price and were fairly simple builds and all look very good complete.  Good luck with your builds and when it comes to the cockpits on the Arms kits test fitting will pay dividends.

All the best

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, CedB said:

Backgammon this morning so that'll get a chance to dry.

They don't call him the Omar Sharif of modelling for nothing... 😁

A happy mug of breakfast tea catching up with this smashing thread Ced. :thumbsup2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

I thought that Omar Sharif played bridge. 

'Twas but one of his enthusiams - even brought out his own set in the 70s:

s-l300.jpg

Mad for the horses too. That and smoking a hundred tabs a day reputedly.

I wish to make it clear to all concerned that I am not by any means  implying that Ced is a compulsive gambler, though the tool collection does give one pause for thought....

• Haha 16

Page 3 , 3 hurricanes, a build worthy of CC “C” being the (ahem) 3rd letter of the alphabet. Omar Sharif has 3 hairy things on his face. The list is endless. 
I’ll sneak in at the side door if that’s ok. Here we go. 1 , 2 aaaand......  

• Haha 3

Nothing done yesterday - life eh? Cuh!

Driving about with Mrs B and parcels, checking on M-i-L…

I did fiddle a bit with the i/p ready for the PE (see below) but not worth a post really.

More below after responses…

On 29/06/2020 at 17:37, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Ced,

many thanks for the extra info re- the Vallejo colours. I haven't used them yet - waiting for a return of decent weather as my spray booth is the back garden (I think I need to rig up something better that's in a low-dust environment, especially before I start spraying the camo colours!). I have got the Interior Green, but for some reason suspected it was US rather than UK, I'll be using it on my Tomahawk IIb though.

I haven't got an iPhone, although my good lady has one and is always saying how wonderful it is (as well as "Oh, b****y hell, the battery's flat again!" 😆) so I may get one at some point - the app sounds good as I can never keep a mental track of what I've got in stock!

And thanks again! I noticed @Troy Smith's info re the cockpit colours. I'd only opened the boxes of my two Mk.IIc kits and had a quick drool, without opening the cellophane packaging and actually looking at the instructions. I've done that now, and the kit's instructions are quite good with their colour call-outs, aren't they? The 3-view plans are quite a work of art, too!

I've been looking at cockpit views and walkarounds for my Tomahawk build, and no two are the same, even those of supposedly the same variant. But I've been tinkering with vintage MGs for years, and trying to track down originality isn't the easiest, so I always approach restored cars/trains/aeroplanes with a weather eye!

Kind regards,

Mark

Thanks Mark :) 

I posted a thread back in 2015 about the Vallejo colours and received a reply to an email from their boss! I think they've put a lot of work into the paints since I bought my RAF set so, if you're after acrylics to spray, I'd recommend them!

I'm a great Apple fan (bought a Mac when they first came out in 1984) but I'm not sure I can suggest an iPhone just for iModelKit - pinch your wife's occasionally! (The 'phone, that is, fnaar!)

Mrs B had a problem with her battery like and I put this down to the fact that she never closes an app - and some have 'background refresh' turned on. I think the record is well into double figures!

Troy is a great source of reference material and my top Hurricane Guru - it's a great pleasure to have him watching and helping with builds :) 

If you're tinkering with vintage MGs you should contact Bill (@perdu) - he's a fan too!

On 29/06/2020 at 17:42, Graham Boak said:

Thanks Graham, very true. It's not only the lack of online reference but also all those 'not quite right' restoration pictures! :) 

On 29/06/2020 at 18:03, dogsbody said:

Ced! That pilot armour seat back ( Part D% )! I think it should be painted Humbrol 78 Matt Cockpit Green. I asked here about that when I was building mine and was advised to use the green.

This is how I did mine.

[snip pic]

Chris

Thanks Chris, especially for the link to your thread :) Troy's post here has a great summary too - very detailed.

I wonder if it's a typo in the instructions? I've checked the might-build-one-day Airfix 1/48 I have in my stash and that says Hu78. Hu70 is in the list of paints required for this kit - weird. 

Yours looks great so I might repaint it - acrylics over enamel? I have no fear…

On 29/06/2020 at 19:04, bbudde said:

Hello Ced. Nice start on these. The green looks good to me so far.

Cheers

Thanks Ben :) 

On 29/06/2020 at 19:14, rob85 said:

I can recommend the citadel metallic paints, there’s also runefag steel which is brighter than the other two you have. I used the ironbreaker for the B24 and it came out rather nice.

Rob

Thanks Rob - I've tried it! See below :) 

On 29/06/2020 at 22:58, Seveneves said:

Hello Ced,

I'm silently lurking your WIP thread and have to say that the nail polish shaker is the best.  I didn't know such a think existed and I think would be perfect for my old Vallejo paints that come in the eyedropper bottles.  Now I can shake the heck out of them using a machine that my wife and daughters think I got for them.  LOL

I bought mine for the Vallejo as well - I got fed up with shaking and shaking and still seeing pigment 'stuck' to the bottom (snigger!) :) 

On 30/06/2020 at 08:07, Marklo said:

Silvers, I do use Tamiya silver but find it’s lacking in body so I add a slug of medium gray, which seems to do the trick. My favourite is humbrol metalcote  it one of the few enamels I still use.

Thanks Mark, good tip :) 

On 30/06/2020 at 08:38, bigbadbadge said:

Nice choices and good start Ced, I have built the Arms MK1 Royal Navy and it was a very nice kit, equally I enjoyed both Airfix early Mk I s too they are nice kits especially considering their price and were fairly simple builds and all look very good complete.  Good luck with your builds and when it comes to the cockpits on the Arms kits test fitting will pay dividends.

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris, especially for the warning! :) 

On 30/06/2020 at 09:32, TheBaron said:

They don't call him the Omar Sharif of modelling for nothing... 😁

A happy mug of breakfast tea catching up with this smashing thread Ced. :thumbsup2:

On 30/06/2020 at 09:51, Biggles87 said:

I thought that Omar Sharif played bridge. 

23 hours ago, TheBaron said:

'Twas but one of his enthusiams - even brought out his own set in the 70s:

s-l300.jpg

Mad for the horses too. That and smoking a hundred tabs a day reputedly.

I wish to make it clear to all concerned that I am not by any means  implying that Ced is a compulsive gambler, though the tool collection does give one pause for thought....

Thanks Tony and John :D 

No gambling involved and I've swapped the 'tabs' for vaping - low volume smoke ones, I promise.

My hair did look a bit like Omar's though, until I let Mrs B loose with the scissors!

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Page 3 , 3 hurricanes, a build worthy of CC “C” being the (ahem) 3rd letter of the alphabet. Omar Sharif has 3 hairy things on his face. The list is endless. 
I’ll sneak in at the side door if that’s ok. Here we go. 1 , 2 aaaand......  

Hi Johnny - take a seat, or three? :D 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

As I mentioned above I did start on the i/ps yesterday, chopping the compass and detail off the Expert kit:

50064675432_100a02651b_z.jpg

Paint.

I've been using the Hu56 for the Airfix internals but if it's paint and not bare metal I thought Hu11 might be better.

I think I had a normal sized pot somewhere but I may have thrown it away. I do have these though:

50063853173_58fe24557b_z.jpg

Must be some 11 in here somewhere. What's this?

50064670497_d2754ce1bc_z.jpg

No idea :shrug:

This is Hu11:

50063867673_e52e524315_z.jpg

Note the hinge has been cut to avoid tippage as per BM folklore.

Looks a bit 'old' but, with some flow improver, goes on nicely:

50064524226_41e4c9c5d8_z.jpg

Here's the Arma 'kit':

50063969468_64c02828da_z.jpg

Tamiya XF-16 by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

…done with the Tamiya and the 'Expert':

50064818012_69aa62625a_z.jpg

Ironbreaker by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

They all performed pretty well to be honest, even the Citadel Air (although it required a couple of coats as you'd expect).

Personal preference on these small bits I guess.

Of course none of it will be seen when the models are on the ceiling so happy to experiment.

I've also repainted the Airfix typos:

50064204378_d907f23191_z.jpg

Not perfect over the red but good enough for the ceiling.

Instrument panels next.

• Like 14