US interior green on experimental aircraft after WWII

Aardvark

Hi, all!

As we know in WWII many US manufactures used own interior green 

which was differences in shadow from during with mid-war standard ANA ( ANA 611 interior green),

"mysterious Bell interior green", "Curtis interior green" e.t.c

whether the practice of using one's own original colors on experimental, pre-production aircraft of  US aircraft firms continued or after the IIWW everything was painted in ANA 611 standard?

As examples:

- interior green  in cocpit Curtis XF-87 Nighthawk was "Curtis interior green" or "Interior green  ANA 611/ late FS34151";

- Convair XF-92  Dart was own "Convair interior green" or standard "Interior green  ANA 611/ late FS34151";

- Bell XP-83  was in  "Bell interior green" or standard "Interior green  ANA 611/ late FS34151"

e.t.c.

Why the question?  

I painted cockpit XF-87 in "Interior green  ANA 611/ late FS34151"

but now I doubt maybe cockpit XF-87 was "Curtis interior green"?

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
Tag added

My understanding is that there is no "universal" rule for the period from end of WWII to 1953 for U.S. aircraft cockpit colors.  In general, postwar green was replaced by black for cockpit interiors, but I'm not certain when/if this was officially codified and it was certainly not an absolute rule. 

In 1953, FS36231 - known informally as Dark Gull Gray - was adopted by the USAF and USN as the new standard cockpit color. I'm sure there are again exceptions, but for the most part this has been the standard U.S. interior color up to the present day.

When I was working on my C-54 a bottle of "Medium Green"- that stuff you usually see splotched along leading and trailing edges- made a surprisingly good approximation of the green I saw in some (color) photos.  (A bit darker than what we (or I) usually think of as cockpit green.)

Edited by gingerbob

O.K. 

I will explain my doubts on this example,

13 hours ago, Aardvark said:

- Convair XF-92  Dart was own "Convair interior green" or standard "Interior green  ANA 611/ late FS34151";

because it is better to see once than read a hundred times!

These photos are freely available on the Internet (no copyright restrictions):

Convair : XF-92A : Convair : XF-92A :

Green color on XF-92, this is most likely a primer, the color of which differs from what we are used to understand as "ANA 611 interior green".

It is not known whether this color appeared during the museum restoration, or whether it appeared after this accident: 

Convair : XF-92A :

during the reconstruction of the XF-92, or it was applied during the construction of the XF-92, but in any case this color is there and this color differs from the standard ANA 611  in  force at that time.

Of course, we must make allowance for the fact that the photo was taken indoors, under artificial lighting, probably with a flash, which can distort colors, but firstly there are no other photos, secondly I have a photo of the F-106 Air brake  published in Italian  "Aerei Modellismo" magazine,

20200627-151858.jpg

where the color is also different, although the FS34151 standard should have already been in force, therefore, there is an assumption that Convair did not only have his own interior color, which he used before the introduction of the FS standard, but also used it after the introduction of the FS standard?

But maybe I'm wrong somewhere?

Maybe painting the interior of other aircraft Convair (I’m only interested in fighters, and of course I don’t understand in bombers) can confirm or refute my statements?

B.R.

Serge

On 6/27/2020 at 3:25 AM, gingerbob said:

When I was working on my C-54 a bottle of "Medium Green"- that stuff you usually see splotched along leading and trailing edges- made a surprisingly good approximation of the green I saw in some (color) photos.  (A bit darker than what we (or I) usually think of as cockpit green.)

Medium green is a very good approximation of the dull dark green used on a lot of aircraft interiors and crew spaces- FS 34092. You can see it on the quilted panels used for insulation/soundproofing on many USAAF/USAF aircraft: B-17, B-24, B-25, B-29, C-54, C-119, C-124, B-36, B-47, among others.

Mike

• Thanks 1