Finished: Luftwaffe CH-53G 1/144

This chopper is sitting on its wheels now, and I started on the decals. I dropped it and knocked a wheel off, so I realized I was better off going to bed and continuing later. So I've only done the two decals so far. I want to do one more coat of the orange, and then it's just the rotors and touch up paint and this one's done.

I realized I have quite the collection (for me) of 1/144 choppers now - this puppy, five Sea Kings, two Sea Hawks and a Merlin. They're going to look cool one day all lined up together - and undoubtedly inspire me to GET MORE!

IMG_20200807_001729386.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

A brief update on this and on my 1/72 Airfix Lynx. No, they didn't crash into a mountain and disappear without trace. It's more that the factory crew are on furlough!

I relocated from the US to Australia in what was a very stressful and expensive extraction operation from covid-town to hopefully not-quite-so-covid-town. The two choppers are in my luggage along with my tools and even my Vallejo paints (I gave away the testors oranges, barely used, because despite being acrylic the label says they're flammable and i don't want to be the guy known posthumously as the one whose hobby supplies brought down an airliner). 

So as soon as we get out of hotel quarantine and into our new place I will be able to finish these two builds off and look around for the next GB to join. I believe I have some Tornados in storage in my hometown, so....

• Like 4

On 9/11/2020 at 2:54 AM, bianfuxia said:

A brief update on this and on my 1/72 Airfix Lynx. No, they didn't crash into a mountain and disappear without trace. It's more that the factory crew are on furlough!

I relocated from the US to Australia in what was a very stressful and expensive extraction operation from covid-town to hopefully not-quite-so-covid-town. The two choppers are in my luggage along with my tools and even my Vallejo paints (I gave away the testors oranges, barely used, because despite being acrylic the label says they're flammable and i don't want to be the guy known posthumously as the one whose hobby supplies brought down an airliner). 

So as soon as we get out of hotel quarantine and into our new place I will be able to finish these two builds off and look around for the next GB to join. I believe I have some Tornados in storage in my hometown, so....

Being in the middle of a long distance relocating due furlough myself, I feel your pain!

I hope however that you will settle in nicely in Canberra, we are looking forward to follow the progress on your choppers! 

8 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Being in the middle of a long distance relocating due furlough myself, I feel your pain!

I hope however that you will settle in nicely in Canberra, we are looking forward to follow the progress on your choppers! 

wishing you good luck! I have a few more days in quarantine and as long as me the wife and kid don't all kill each other between now and then, we'll be home soon! 

Travel safe and I hope all goes well and smoothly for yoU!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • bianfuxia changed the title to Finished: Luftwaffe CH-53G 1/144

I'm calling time on this one. I did almost all the decals, leaving out just a few tiny markings. I sadly lost two of the windows to the Great Carpet Monster. And the nosewheel door never made it home from DC. 

But I'm quite happy with it and I think it's a cool looking helicopter. It's also a great kit - in the US it was under ten bucks new.

More photos in the gallery.

IMG_20201016_115324513.jpg

• Like 3