Return of the Airfix Club

Mike

Although the 10% and some other details have passed me by recently ,  since this week's response from Airfix I do seem to be back on their email list.

First edition of Aerodrome since December 2020 and notification that the latest Club Magazine is on its way both arrived today.

21 hours ago, Ratch said:

Yes, and other member have said it happens as you check out.

I placed an order on Tuesday and can confirm the 10% is deducted as you check out.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Paul Thompson said:

Just received an email from Airfix about the Club competition. Prize is the new 1/48th Vampire. Closing date is ........ October 5th.  A for effort, Z for execution.

Paul.

I just received a similar e-mail with a closing date of 5pm on 13th October 

16 minutes ago, rs2man said:

I just received a similar e-mail with a closing date of 5pm on 13th October 

You're absolutely right and I've just put in an order for a pair of new eyes. Ammended score, A for effort, A for execution, and a period on the Naughty Chair for me. 

OTOH what I did find when I tried to enter a few days ago was that clicking the enter button caused no discernible reaction on screen, so maybe whastever powers it doesn't like Firefox, or maybe it was just a Microsoft Moment. I'll try again today.

Paul.

......some time later. And this time entering worked.

Edited by Paul Thompson
I did a thing.
  • Haha 3

• 3 months later...

Airfix still honouring their Flying Hours tokens, and very efficiently.  30 tokens + a £5.95 and a 1/48th Chipmunk arrived within a week.  Unusually, there was no new Flying Club card in the delivery, but I have some of those already.  I also have been receiving emails extending my current Airfix Club membership will the end of Jan 2022.  It will be interested to see what the new Club deal is.

1 hour ago, Anthony Kesterton said:

It will be interested to see what the new Club deal is.

1/72 double kit of Hawk XX145 in its first and last markings which according to the latest catalogue will be available to new/renewing members after 1st. February . . . . .    https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/historic-hawk-heading-airfix-club-members

• Like 1

On 23/01/2022 at 14:57, Des said:

1/72 double kit of Hawk XX145 in its first and last markings which according to the latest catalogue will be available to new/renewing members after 1st. February . . . . .    https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/historic-hawk-heading-airfix-club-members

Today I received an email reminder that my membership expires end of the month. Renewing now scores an extra 10% off the existing Club discount, which makes it £27.00 for existing UK members). For clarification, the double Hawk kit Des mentions is included in the membership fee. Additionally, there are some new items available from the club store, tools, rather than just tin boxes, and the club competition is currently active (win a 1/24th Spitfire 1). Flying Hours are still a thing and a new passport is part of the deal. All in all, enough to induce me once again to renew, which I hadn't expected this time last year. So far, so good.............

Paul.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Thompson said:

Today I received an email reminder that my membership expires end of the month. Renewing now scores an extra 10% off the existing Club discount, which makes it £27.00 for existing UK members). For clarification, the double Hawk kit Des mentions is included in the membership fee. Additionally, there are some new items available from the club store, tools, rather than just tin boxes, and the club competition is currently active (win a 1/24th Spitfire 1). Flying Hours are still a thing and a new passport is part of the deal. All in all, enough to induce me once again to renew, which I hadn't expected this time last year. So far, so good.............

Paul.

Just received the same email - and renewed as well. Have to admit, I have used the club discount on more than one occasion since it was re-introduced, and has pretty much paid for the membership over the last 12+ months. With the kits they are releasing this year, the club discount will definitely pay for the membership!

I just received my renewal email as well. I renewed but a word of warning.

If you go into the renewal on the Airfix Club page it shows the renewal price as £25.00 but won't let you add it to your basket.

You can get it at the £27.00 discounted price from the main shop.

I phoned as I couldn't get it added to my basket and the very helpful person checked it and told me it should be £27.00 which I was more than happy with so I renewed at that.

Cheers,

Alistair

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

I just received my renewal email as well. I renewed but a word of warning.

If you go into the renewal on the Airfix Club page it shows the renewal price as £25.00 but won't let you add it to your basket.

You can get it at the £27.00 discounted price from the main shop.

I phoned as I couldn't get it added to my basket and the very helpful person checked it and told me it should be £27.00 which I was more than happy with so I renewed at that.

Cheers,

Alistair

I renewed via the email link which took me directly to the webshop renewal page which showed the correct price. The only thing it asked was "join or renew" from a drop down box. So personally did not have any issues on renewing my membership.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, treker_ed said:

I renewed via the email link which took me directly to the webshop renewal page which showed the correct price. The only thing it asked was "join or renew" from a drop down box. So personally did not have any issues on renewing my membership.

I used the link from the email as well.

Isn't tech wonderful. :D

I've got it renewed so it's all good.

Cheers,

Alistair

Not for me this year. It seems very good value if you want two Hawk kits and/or spending a large amount of money with Airfix in 2022, neither of which are true for me. So my £30 will go elsewhere.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 6:16 PM, Paul821 said:

Not for me this year. It seems very good value if you want two Hawk kits and/or spending a large amount of money with Airfix in 2022, neither of which are true for me. So my £30 will go elsewhere.

Same hear, maybe if the hawk had different decal options I might be more interested, but as I never ordered direct from Airfix probably isn't worth it even using up all my flying hours, and even if it was not even sure there's stuff I actually want to use them on. 

Mine arrived today as well. Sadly dumped on the doorstep by Hermes. No knock on the door, no ring of the doorbell, no hint at all. Not even the email to let me know what the delivery ETA was! I was concerned that I hadn't heard anything, and when I checked the tracking info it said out for delivery! Opened the front door, and it was sat there propped against the door!😔 This is bad as we have had numerous thefts involving Hermes deliveries either directly from the parcels, or from the doorstep from various properties in the area I live, so I'm lucky to have found it!

Edited by treker_ed
  • Like 1

Knock on the door this morning and it was my Club pack being delivered by Hermes. Wasn't expecting it, I had forgotten you have to keep going into the original email to find out where it was up to. When I looked, it did actually say it would arrive today between 10.30-12.30, and it arrived at 11.20. Have to remember for any future deliveries.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up the Airfix Club Hawks XX154, first and last flight today from the Shop at Boscombe Down Aviation Collection. They have it in stock as XX154 in the final black livery sits inside the north Hangar. 

So, if you are tempted to get this twin boxing and want to take a very close look at XX154(yes, you can touch and get close and personal) head on down to BDAC at Old Sarum airfield. If you come on a Friday, Chris who owns the aircraft is usually there and is happy to chat. 

Points to note:  at times XX154 flew with a belly gun pod, this is included in the kits but not mentioned in the instructions. So fit it if you wish!  XX154 also flew with under wing pylons, but they are not in the kit. Last point, the finish is VERY glossy black, as the photo shows...

spacer.png

Another point: the nose probe is not as all other Hawks, it has vanes and sensors to allow EPTS trainee pilots to better understand some aspects of flight,  also he air brake is normally down when the aircraft is parked as hydraulic pressure bleeds off. 

Finally, XX154 is fully functional, other than the ejector seats and canopy det cord, 

it is planned to move the aircraft out for a photo shoot session in the summer and once outside the hangar the APU will be started and all systems powered up.

If the engine was installed then it could be started, but although it is now sitting under the A/C it will not go back in...

Edited by 224 Peter
Typo
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

Points to note:  at times XX154 flew with a belly gun pod, this is included in the kits but not mentioned in the instructions. So fit it if you wish!  XX154 also flew with under wing pylons, but they are not in the kit. Last point, the finish is VERY glossy black, as the photo shows...

There's also a load of extra instruments above the coaming in both cockpits