Return of the Airfix Club

Mike

I received mine a couple of days ago as well. Really quite liked it! As I'm a subscriber to AMW had already received the 2021 calendar from them, so this is an added bonus - SWMBO has claimed this one for the kitchen!

• 5 months later...

Al those who signed up on day one of the relaunched club will soon have to choose whether to renew. What are your thoughts? 

With only two magazines in the first year and no special kits the only real benefit I got was to use up a number of flying hours. Purchasing a minimal number of Airfix kits recently that will not be a benefit now - so unless they really increase the benefits I will not renew.

2 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

Al those who signed up on day one of the relaunched club will soon have to choose whether to renew. What are your thoughts? 

With only two magazines in the first year and no special kits the only real benefit I got was to use up a number of flying hours. Purchasing a minimal number of Airfix kits recently that will not be a benefit now - so unless they really increase the benefits I will not renew.

Agreed. And I've only received one magazine. Nothing happening for months since they decided to re-redesign it, either.

Paul.

50 minutes ago, Paul Thompson said:

I've only received one magazine

I got two copies of issue 2 on Tuesday so they have been posted you might get it soon. Unless my second copy was yours!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I joined almost right away so my subscription ends in a fortnight and my inclination at the moment is not to renew.

Got the 'Kate' kit although not really my area of interest but from the rafters bending above my head that is really not an issue , had one magazine and the calendar , not disciplined enough to remember to keep 'Flying Hours' , not interested in buying tins and as far as I could follow the 'Members Area' never really took off.

Unless there is a new 'Club Exclusive' , or a voucher in lieu thereof or even a reasonable discount scheme in place by the 26th. I will hold off to see if there is some form of resolution.

• 3 weeks later...

I joined the Airfix club mainly just to use up a load of flying hours. I too felt I didn't get much for my membership (not that I'm too bothered to be honest - I love Airfix's new kits so I don't mind showing some support).

All that said, in a recent email, Airfix have clearly listened to, and acted on, some of the constructive criticism - as such, they have extended the club membership (free of charge) until the end of August, in addition they are offering 25% off the 1/24 Typhoon exclusive to club members only.

It'll be interesting to see how they progress the club in the next few years.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 3:50 PM, wellsprop said:

All that said, in a recent email, Airfix have clearly listened to, and acted on, some of the constructive criticism - as such, they have extended the club membership (free of charge) until the end of August, in addition they are offering 25% off the 1/24 Typhoon exclusive to club members only.

Never got that email and my existing membership was active up until two days ago , so maybe not working that well yet.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Des said:

Never got that email and my existing membership was active up until two days ago , so maybe not working that well yet.

Never got it either. So after a year that's one more 'teething' problem they have...........

Paul.

• Like 1

At one point all my Airfix emails were being filtered and going into my spam folder automatically. Have you checked your junk mail/spam folders just in case your email provider has decided that (for some reason) that it's classed these as a mass mailing and marked them as spam?

3 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

At one point all my Airfix emails were being filtered and going into my spam folder automatically. Have you checked your junk mail/spam folders just in case your email provider has decided that (for some reason) that it's classed these as a mass mailing and marked them as spam?

I check mine every day. Also the BT  run spam folder (since they're my internet provider). They tend to treat as suspect anything from Ebay and my bank, which is rather annoying. Mail from Airfix does sometimes also end up there, but nothing at the moment. Oddly enough, the fraudulent emails occasionally pretending to be from the bank, Ebay, or BT almost always get through unflagged. Go, as they say, figure.

Paul.

• Sad 2

Here's the content:

Dear Airfix Club member,

We are officially almost to the one year mark of the Airfix Club, and we can safely say, that it has definitely been a year of growth and learning- helped along of course, by all of you. We are incredibly grateful for all of the constructive criticism and positive feedback that we have received over the past few months, and we are eager to continue with this open channel of communication moving forward.

As the end of the first year approaches, so does the end of many of your memberships. As a thank you for your continued loyalty while we work on improving the current club, we would like to offer you the option to extend your Airfix membership until 31st August 2021, completely free of charge. If this is something you would like to do, we will automatically renew your membership within the next few days, so you do not have to do anything!

As an additional bonus, we are also pleased to be able to offer you an exclusive discount whilst you wait for your new renewal date. We can exclusively offer you a discount on the much loved Hawker Typhoon Mk. 1B Car Door model! We hope that a 25% discount on the kit will serve as a thank you for staying with us in the good times and the bad. The discount will be automatically applied at checkout so all you have to do is, login to your Airfix.com account, add it to your basket and reap the rewards!

Use this link to access the model and to be able to order it:

HAWKER TYPHOON MK.1B

Please note this is available whilst stocks last and we are rationing stock with only one available per member.

Thank you for your support and loyalty, which is greatly appreciated.

Sincerest best wishes,

The Airfix Team

• 1 month later...

I won't be renewing my membership. I feel I have received very little from my membership. And as a thank you for my loyalty, they then offer me an opportunity to spend £90 on a (admittedly superb) kit, that I wouldn't buy

anyway- not my scale/too big a model- if they'd offered 25% off across the range, even as a "one-off, single purchase" deal, I might have been interested, but at that price, I think most of the "takers" will be those who would

have bought one at full price anyway- and Airfix know this.

About a month ago, out of the blue, Hornby sent me a copy of their Hornby club's The Collector magazine- does this indicate some confusion (or complacency) about memberships at Hornby?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the Airfix Club years ago and got a couple of nice kits out of it, I've been umming and ahing about signing up again, the current club kit is quite attractive and I have a stack of them Flying Hours that aren't doing anything.

I wonder what the hold up with the Club actually is. The Hornby Club seems to be working fine and over the last few months have been offering various discounts on tools. Many of these would be useful for Airfix Club members. 

• 4 weeks later...

Email came through today from Airfix.

New club special kit will be the Airfix Hawk T1 in a special scheme - XX154 - The first and last. 

XX154 Hawk T1 the firs as rolled out in 1974 as the first of the many Hawk produced in its red, white and Light grey scheme, and then XX154 as flown by ETPS up to August 2019 when retired and delivered to BDAC. They advise availability by Jan 2022, with the kit being sent with Club renewals from Feb 2022. In addition to this the 3rd magazine is also on its way.

(I also forgot to mention that it states that for Club members that you get a 10% discount which will be automatically applied to your order, provided you are logged in and your membership is linked😀)

Edited by treker_ed
Extra Info

15 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

Email came through today from Airfix.

Thanks for the update , more than I get from Airfix. but wondering if I could ask when you signed up to the club?

Reason being I signed up within a day or two of it being relaunched and other than the introductory pack with kit that arrived very quickly and two magazines since have otherwise have never heard else from them on club related matters.

Since then different members here on Britmodeller have mentioned e-mails about membership dates being extended but I have never heard anything about this from Airfix (and I do check my Spam daily) and was wondering if having got through early and having missed the disarray that followed within days of the launch if I have somehow fallen off their radar.

5 minutes ago, Des said:

Thanks for the update , more than I get from Airfix. but wondering if I could ask when you signed up to the club?

Reason being I signed up within a day or two of it being relaunched and other than the introductory pack with kit that arrived very quickly and two magazines since have otherwise have never heard else from them on club related matters.

Since then different members here on Britmodeller have mentioned e-mails about membership dates being extended but I have never heard anything about this from Airfix (and I do check my Spam daily) and was wondering if having got through early and having missed the disarray that followed within days of the launch if I have somehow fallen off their radar.

I signed up (well, the date my card payment was taken from my bank at any rate) was 27/06/2020. I believe I was one of the early ones as I also got the Airfix Collectors bookazine that was only sent to the early signatories, "The Complete Airfix Artist & Kit List - 6th Ed. 1949-2020 - 70 Years of Airfix Models"

46 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

I signed up (well, the date my card payment was taken from my bank at any rate) was 27/06/2020. I believe I was one of the early ones as I also got the Airfix Collectors bookazine that was only sent to the early signatories, "The Complete Airfix Artist & Kit List - 6th Ed. 1949-2020 - 70 Years of Airfix Models"

Thanks for getting back , I signed up the day before so obviously not the reason , perhaps Covid , Brexit , wrong type of leaves on the tree . . . . . ad infinitum.

Will drop them a line and ask why ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 5:47 PM, Ratch said:

Members automatically get 10% discount in the on-line shop at checkout.

Is this a new development?

Not mentioned in the email I got earlier this week and not applied to orders made as recently as four weeks ago.