Return of the Airfix Club

Mike

spacer.png

BIG Airfix News…

We have some exciting news from the Airfix team today, the news we know you have all be waiting to hear! Airfix Club is back and goes live today at 12pm! This is going to be the biggest news today for our fans all over the World.

club1.jpg

From 12pm (U.K) the Airfix Club webpage will be live and awaiting its first members who we know are eagerly waiting after we sent out a teaser on our Social Media platforms yesterday. The above image shows what member will receive if they decide to go with our Airfix Club Plus option, as we have not one but two types of Club available, which are both available to UK and overseas members.

Airfix Club Membership Packages

We know that not all of our members are interested in the same subjects, so we are offering an option to become a member without a model, so that if the model being offered doesn’t have much interest, then no problem, the Airfix Club is the right option.

Airfix Club Membership

This option comes without the kit, and will include a Welcome Pack, which as you can see from above contains an impressive Keep Calm poster, an Airfix Club Trolley coin and the Airfix Club Flying Hours passport. Flying hours can be collected from most Airfix Kits, and then traded in for more kits! All you do is collect the tokens, fill in the back of your passport with your preferred kits and send it in.

All of this comes packed neatly in an Airfix Club box, unique to members only.

The cost of this option is:

RRP UK                      £14.99
RRP International     £34.99

spacer.png

Airfix Club PLUS Membership

This option comes with everything you see in the image above, including the Club Exclusive Kit which is a remarkable Surrender/Evaluation Kate.

The cost of this option is:

RRP UK                     £24.99
RRP International    £39.99

The above isn’t all you get, both Memberships include many benefits, and if at a later date members decide they do in fact want the exclusive kit they simply log into the Club Members Area and place an order (as long as there is stock). There are lots of Airfix related products also available to Club Members at discounted prices. This includes several Airfix tins and tubs, and some very iconic Airfix prints. This range will keep on growing, so we suggest you keep checking the Airfix Club page to see any updates.

And not forgetting our exclusive Club magazine, with members receiving three editions a year. Members will also receive a calendar at the beginning of the year. What is not to love?

These packs are ready for dispatch, and our Customer Services team are eagerly waiting to get these orders and get the packs sent out. We now had a credit card style membership, which will be sent out separately within 28 days of signing up.

Be one of the ‘first 1000’

And finally, one last bonus. If you are one of the first 1000 members who join the Airfix 2020 Club, then you will receive a printed copy of the Complete Airfix artist and kit list (6th Edition). This has been compiled by a very good friend of ours, and the master of all Airfix knowledge Jeremy Brook. Airfix are very grateful for all of Jeremy’s continued assistance.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Joined as soon as I saw the email in my inbox. Hopefully was one of the early ones as well... Now I'll try and get the use out of the flying hours I've accumulated, as it now goes up series 9 kits, there are a few I've got my eyes on that will do very nicely indeed (especially just for the cost of postage!) 

A bit underwhelmed by this, I have however sent my Flying Hours to Models for Heroes, so well done Airfix for publicizing their address and I hope my 34 hours is of use to them. I have a fair few Airfix kits in the stash and I'll keep sending a batch to them.

Some crazy vitreol on Facebook over this, it seems like a fair deal to me. £5 for each magazine including delivery is the same as most High Street magazines. £10 for a kit is pretty standard.

The Flying Hours thing is just a bit of fun and a nice discount, something that few other firms have. The way some people are reacting you'd think Airfix was an investment firm.

1 hour ago, Paul Thompson said:

Just tried to sub, it must have fallen over - says 'out of stock'. That didn't last long..................

Paul.

Yes - I am getting  'Error 404, Page not found.'  I think Ratch is right. Hopefully they will sort this as soon as possible !

Once again it all happens on a Friday when there'll be no-one to fix it until Monday at the earliest. Time someone learnt from their previous mistakes.

• Like 1

They probably have under estimated demand. A couple of unwarranted comments here. if you dont have anything constructive to add then dont feel free you need to contribute.

Also any and all sales on BM should be conducted in the buy/sell area and no where else.

Julien

Four pieces of A4 and a ‘passport’. £15. A kit you either want to go with the others in your Clubkit section of your stash... or not.  £25. And all including of course, the ultimate piece of memorabilia, a trolley token ! I bet they all laughed like drains and went out for a pint when that was pitched at the meeting ! 

On 26/06/2020 at 18:32, Ratch said:

I think someone seriously underestimated demand

For the thousand ‘kit list brochures’ ? Madness. It’ll be ‘dead man’s shoes’ to be able to join in future, you Mark my words ! 😉

12 hours ago, Ratch said:

Once again it all happens on a Friday when there'll be no-one to fix it until Monday at the earliest

They don't have their own IT but outsourced that to a (local) partner, most likely. 

That said, they might consider using AWS or Azure services for this type of stuff - you can scale up for a few days (get the burst of traffic out of the way) and then scale down again to normal levels.

3 hours ago, Fea said:

For the thousand ‘kit list brochures’ ? Madness. It’ll be ‘dead man’s shoes’ to be able to join in future, you Mark my words ! 😉

Nothing to do with the 1000 Collectors Club freebies - but to sell out of both types of membership in under 6 hrs - HOW? Obviously insufficient were made available OR the system couldn't cope.

• Like 1

I think, without hard facts of numbers its very unfair to blame Airfix for selling out., for not anticipating demand

Without those numbers no-one can say by how much Airfix under estimated the demand.

Having been in making items, all it takes is for 1 sale over your stock level for you be 'out of stock' and disappointing one buyer

How many leather belts should I take to the craft show? 10, 20, 50, 100? I usually sell about 5. So I take 10, then I get 11 customers, did I underestimate demand? Am I to be damned for it?

Also Airfix staff are mainly working at home. 

How do we know that some of them have not been working today on this?

• Like 5

Don't they have historic figures regarding membership? Has demand far outstripped that? Airfix will never disclose the figures, but I'd be interested to know given the interest shown prior to the relaunch.

This isn't the first time Airfix has had the "Out of stock" problem. It is pretty much a given that any Airfix new release will go instantly out-of-stock when launched as well.

That's the real issue - this isn't a new problem, Airfix should have been able to do better by now.

On 6/27/2020 at 1:15 PM, Ratch said:

Nothing to do with the 1000 Collectors Club freebies - but to sell out of both types of membership in under 6 hrs - HOW? Obviously insufficient were made available OR the system couldn't cope.

Hi Guy. 
Well they blamed the system of course. But thanked everyone who tried, so no criticism there. But why link something as physical as ‘Stock’ to a virtual membership ? With pack mechanicals being sorted after the initial surge. I don’t see Darryl making such a basic ‘mistake’. Do you ? However when all’s said and done, it’s great to see the depth of Love (if that’s the right word) for the Big ‘A’ and the passion, overwhelmingly positive, for it. If SMW is still on, I can’t wait to see what they’ll have. 

Toodle Pip. 

On 6/27/2020 at 11:30 PM, Scott_ said:

This isn't the first time Airfix has had the "Out of stock" problem. It is pretty much a given that any Airfix new release will go instantly out-of-stock when launched as well.

That's the real issue - this isn't a new problem, Airfix should have been able to do better by now.

I’ve just tried to join and all I get after the pre-order box, and an instant ‘out of stock’. The crankiness on FB is quite palpable... 

My club membership pack arrived this morning by DPD

Nice big box

DSC04204

containing

DSC04205

and then

DSC04206

Just a folder and a few sheets of A4 + passport & trolley token. 

Crucially no membership card so no membership number for the passport.

I did actually read the welcome letter which states your card will arrive within 28 days and the first Magazine will be in September.

Tried to access https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/club-portal-airfix only to be denied access - have emailed the Hornby club team and await reply

4 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

Crucially no membership card so no membership number for the passport.

There should be an email from Airfix saying Welcome to the (whatever club package you bought). This has your membership number in it.

FWIW, my membership is still listed as in processing, and I have no access to any of the club areas yet. It was worth the price to me because I was wanting another Kate kit, and have many Flying Hours tokens awaiting liberation.

Paul.