Combrig 1/700 Smetlivy - The last Kashin-class destroyer

Hello!

4 months I did not build the models. While the whole country was quarantined and on vacation and modellers actively building models, I was busy with work.

I need to build this model for my friend as a gift, which served on it in 2003-2004

My task is to assemble simply as is, without modifications, out of the box with etched rails.

This is old Combrig model from 2000s

187 resin parts and 82 PE parts

Quality is good, but PE is simple

fb9342a696f3.jpg

0ebb57e205ac.jpg

bbdab5570ae5.jpg

66f42cf8d70b.jpg

5e9de0895281.jpg

ad00cd1b8f12.jpg

742aea31db9c.jpg

but the instruction is just awful. It’s easier to understand the Mayan script than this.

I have 3 models of Kashin-class destroyers:

early version - Obraztsovy

Modified Kashin class - Slavny

last version of Kashin class - Smetlivy as Project 010710

cccc74953517.jpg

7e0005765a5f.jpg

88958c0979c4.jpg

cd57a345bc91.jpg

8b365caa6f37.jpg

• Like 6

I started build last week and have some progress

78a3af254dfd.jpg

56aeea3d1ba0.jpg

91edab583c7f.jpg

53330acb7f37.jpg

8edf21ab77bb.jpg

c38719c58507.jpg

a28a0c44534d.jpg

e09d6042881b.jpg

78a8494a3cea.jpg

dc5915efb706.jpg

73f4a5651627.jpg

7ca2b5f46af4.jpg

753527aba3dc.jpg

Some facts about this model:
- stern is made a little wrong
- there are no most of portholes and doors on superstructures
- PE deatils of masts are poorly assembled
- there are no some details on the wheelhouse
- the pieces of the main superstructure do not match in width

Welcome to all fans of resin models and the Soviet Navy

• Like 6

It looks like you are making good progress despite the the shortcomings of the kit!

I am a little suprised at the lack of detail on the kit. Given that they cost roughly the same as many other resin kits that seems a little dispointing. 

Cool prototype though.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OutcastJoel said:

It looks like you are making good progress despite the the shortcomings of the kit!

I am a little suprised at the lack of detail on the kit. Given that they cost roughly the same as many other resin kits that seems a little dispointing. 

Cool prototype though.

I think, that it is a problem of early models of Combrig from 2000 to 2012 years.

I have modern Combrig models - 1/700 USSR light cruiser Chervona Ukraine (Svetlana-class) and 1/350 Russian Empire destroyer Schastlivy (Novik-class) - and they don't have such problems.

Instructions are good, details have numbers.

And these models of Kashin-class destroyers are pretty cheap - 30-40$

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OutcastJoel said:

@SilverGhost that is good to know, they have a fair number kits that look interesting, I guess I just need to check the release date before I buy anything

You're right!

for example the newest model of Combig - German battleship Elsass 1/350 has 30-pages instruction, 3 big PE plates, brass barrels, masts, yards, shafts, propellers and over

and looks like very beautifull!

But the price is not small - more than 300$

• Like 1

Making stand (Trumpeter - Master Tools display case)

1468d10d58b8.jpg

Assemble 2 Uran-launchers, radars (each radar has 10 details), 2 Volna-N AA-launchers, masts and some over details

90cdc37347a0.jpg

Edited by SilverGhost
  • Like 4

Following this with interest. This era of Soviet cold war warships is a favourite of mine. I have long term plans to build something (maybe a Kotlin or Krupny) in 1/350. No kits available yet though, but I'm looking at the old Trumpeter Chinese Luda 051 class as a starting point! The Luda hull was derived from the Neustrashimy, which I believe also influenced the Kotlins.

Love the lines of the Kashin.

Good luck with your build!

Terry

On 6/27/2020 at 10:32 AM, Terry1954 said:

Following this with interest. This era of Soviet cold war warships is a favourite of mine. I have long term plans to build something (maybe a Kotlin or Krupny) in 1/350. No kits available yet though, but I'm looking at the old Trumpeter Chinese Luda 051 class as a starting point! The Luda hull was derived from the Neustrashimy, which I believe also influenced the Kotlins.

Love the lines of the Kashin.

Good luck with your build!

Terry

Thank you Terry!

The theme of Soviet ships of the Cold War is extensive and interesting, but poorly represented by models, which causes difficulties.

I hope in the future Trumpeter and Combrig will release new models of this era.

My friend build beautifull model of Kotlin-class destroyer Soznatelny 1/75

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Andrew

Edited by SilverGhost
edit
  • Like 1

It is odd that this era of the Soviet Navy is so poorly represented - you can get a decent (I think - never built one!) Udaloy or Sovremenniy, but no Krivak, Kotlin, Kashin or Kara.  Always interesting - speaking as someone who once had to learn all these ships and their radars / weapons from blurred intelligence photos - to learn the real names of things I half-remember by their NATO names (SA-N-1 Goa, SS-N-2C Styx, etc.).  Isn’t Smetlivy the one modified to carry SS-N-25 Switchblade, and still in service?  [Sorry, don’t know Russian name for the weapon!]

• Like 1

That model of Smetlivy looks rather good Andrew! I'd love to know where your friend obtained the plans? 

Very curious about the SS-N-25 (now Kh-35?) conversion Crisp. I had no idea Kotlin's were still in service. Must Google that one!

Terry

PS. Have to agree on your observations re lack of kits on these. A decent Kynda would do as well! 

Yep, checked that, she took the name forward in good naval tradition! Still amazed that Kashin's are plodding on although in a much updated state I'm sure.

I think I caused my own confusion here. My reference to your friends model should have read "Soznatelny" not "Smetlivy"! Keen to understand where he obtained the plans for Soznatelny.

Excellent thread here Andrew.

Terry

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

It is odd that this era of the Soviet Navy is so poorly represented - you can get a decent (I think - never built one!) Udaloy or Sovremenniy, but no Krivak, Kotlin, Kashin or Kara.  Always interesting - speaking as someone who once had to learn all these ships and their radars / weapons from blurred intelligence photos - to learn the real names of things I half-remember by their NATO names (SA-N-1 Goa, SS-N-2C Styx, etc.).  Isn’t Smetlivy the one modified to carry SS-N-25 Switchblade, and still in service?  [Sorry, don’t know Russian name for the weapon!]

In Russian SS-N-25 is Х-35 Уран or Kh-35 Uran, Nato designation of missile AS-20 Kayak.

Smetlivy only the one of Kashin-class, who carry SS-N-25

And only the one, who was upgraded to project 01090 in the late 80s.

In total, it was planned to upgrade 5 ships, modernization began at 2 (Smetlivy and Sposobny), and completed only Smetlivy at 1995 but several works continued to 2002.

Sposobny was started to upgrade at 1987, but not finished. And sold for scrap to India in 1994.

spacer.png

Sposobny towed from modernization at navy yard to demilitarization for future sold for scrap 1993-04-28

At 3 over ships - modernization to project 01090 was't started - Strogiy, Krasnyy Kavkaz, Krasnyy Krym

Smetlivy is still in service. Last year the ship celebrated the anniversary of 50 years in service from 1969.

In 2019 he made his last cruise for service to Mediterranean sea.

And in 2020 the ship will be retired from service and became museum ship at Sevastopol. 🎉

In 2019 there were plans to convert Kerch (last Kara-class cruiser) and Smetlivy into museum ships, but finance was found only to preserve the Smetlivy .

Unfortunately, Kerch was towed for scrap at Inkerman 2020-04-24.

spacer.png

More photos of Kerch from scrapyard https://zen.yandex.ru/media/nefotograf/bpk-kerch-otpravlen-na-metallolom-tak-i-ne-stav-muzeem-5ea31f6813c60a44c4f2cf38

Edited by SilverGhost
edit
  • Like 1

Fascinating photos - I always thought the Karas were fine-looking ships, so some of those are very sad; no ship looks good when rusting to death.   I led a detachment of 2 Sea Kings on the back of a tanker up to the Barents in the early-90s and took a zillion photos (including poor old Kursk, plus the early stages of Kuznetsov's sea trials); I'll see if I can find any of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

That model of Smetlivy looks rather good Andrew! I'd love to know where your friend obtained the plans? 

Very curious about the SS-N-25 (now Kh-35?) conversion Crisp. I had no idea Kotlin's were still in service. Must Google that one!

Terry

PS. Have to agree on your observations re lack of kits on these. A decent Kynda would do as well! 

My friend make his own drawings using plans of Soznatelnyy (Kotlin-class destroyer) from open sources, many photos, Russian naval forum http://forums.airbase.ru/viewforum.php?id=25 and may be information from naval archive.

I think that Kotlin-class destroyers are not secret today and everybody can go to the Russian Naval Archive for information on them.

And they were all retired from service by 1992-1993

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

A very impressive model and an equally distinctive and different display case.

14 minutes ago, Richard E said:

A very impressive model and an equally distinctive and different display case.

This model of Soznatelny wins many Shipmodelling Championships in Russia, Belarus and other European countries

Wins NAVIGA World Shipmodelling Championship and NAVIGA Europe Shipmodelling Championship

This model is not only a stand model, but also a running one, and it won water competitions in Europe

Author (left) with his model at World Shipmodelling Championship NS 2019 at Hungary.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilverGhost said:

For more information about Kotlin-class destroyers - you can see here - photos, plans and other

http://forums.airbase.ru/2008/06/t60097--eskadrennye-minonostsy-pr-56-i-modifikatsii-tipa-spokojnyj.html

Thank you Andrew! That link has so many helpful photos, plans and diagrams. I now have no excuse not to attempt a Kotlin in 1/350!

You can see my original ideas shared here. A pipe dream then, maybe not so now...........

Meanwhile your Kashin will inspire me on I'm sure!

Terry

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Thank you Andrew! That link has so many helpful photos, plans and diagrams. I now have no excuse not to attempt a Kotlin in 1/350!

You can see my original ideas shared here. A pipe dream then, maybe not so now...........

Meanwhile your Kashin will inspire me on I'm sure!

Terry

I answered at your topic

• Thanks 1

Small review of Microdesign photoetched detail set for Sovermenny-class destroyers 1/700

I will use for Smetlivy railings, which are not included at Combig PE for model

8f7795d63bba.jpg

eac5dc0c8455.jpg

14c368e13678.jpg

599601f57a75.jpg

7f7b25cae9b3.jpg

2653aebae25c.jpg

• Like 2