Humbrol Matt coat, bloom/frosted...

Jasper dog

Hi all, a quickie; I've got my old fella back into this modelling lark after probably 30yrs and he's been enjoying some of these 1/16 tanks. However his latest creation, Trumpeter T34, 85 has bloomed after receiving its final matt coat. Having never had this issue, thankfully, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to rectify it. I've already suggested a winter whitewash but...

Heres a pic of it before the "issue" haven't seen it the current state yet.

spacer.png

Any help advice or suggestions for him gratefully received

Thanks

Darryl

We had a kit (Airfix Kittyhawk) my son built and the entire thing went all frosty once the Humbrol matt coat dried - had to sand it and start again. Not a perfect result, but did improve the look. Not sure why it did this - it was a new bottle.

Tim

• Thanks 1

Down south your old fella is something quite different :)

Bloom can happen if its too cold (unlikely at this time of year) or too high humidity, ie wet

Never found a fix other than a light dusting of original colour with an air brush.........

• Thanks 1

I've discovered its usually a result of high humidity (over50%) and cant fix it.

Ive used tamiya flat clears and it seems up in my neck of the woods it really likes to frost so i have to be careful.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Hardcastle said:

We had a kit (Airfix Kittyhawk) my son built and the entire thing went all frosty once the Humbrol matt coat dried - had to sand it and start again. Not a perfect result, but did improve the look. Not sure why it did this - it was a new bottle.

Tim

Hi Tim,  that must be so annoying after putting all the hard work in. At least you recovered it. 

11 hours ago, Spec7 said:

Down south your old fella is something quite different :)

Bloom can happen if its too cold (unlikely at this time of year) or too high humidity, ie wet

Never found a fix other than a light dusting of original colour with an air brush.........

Hi, yes, with hindsight I suppose the old fella could be misconstrued...🤣😅

11 hours ago, Beazer said:

I've discovered its usually a result of high humidity (over50%) and cant fix it.

Ive used tamiya flat clears and it seems up in my neck of the woods it really likes to frost so i have to be careful.

Hi, I'm guessing it must have been related to the humidity when he sprayed it.

Well thanks chaps, I'm guessing he'll have to go with the winter wash idea as it doesn't sound as if there is any recovery option, short of a repaint or at least a dust over.

Thanks again and I appreciate your responses. 

Cheers

Darryl 

Give it a blast of a good quality satin varnish mate, it will get rid of the blooming, if you then weather it with oils it will further flatten down the sheen. I’m not a big fan of Humbrol varnishes, I found them very temperamental and not worth the Russian Roulette chance of success or failure. I have never had a failure with Mig Ammo Matt varnish so that’s my weapon of choice. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Give it a blast of a good quality satin varnish mate, it will get rid of the blooming, if you then weather it with oils it will further flatten down the sheen. I’m not a big fan of Humbrol varnishes, I found them very temperamental and not worth the Russian Roulette chance of success or failure. I have never had a failure with Mig Ammo Matt varnish so that’s my weapon of choice. 

Thanks Dan, as they say great minds think alike. Apprently he sprayed a dryish gloss coat on last night and whilst not perfect it's done the job! 

Apparently he hasn't finished yet, not sure what he has in planned....will wait and see!

As much as I'm now bound to regret saying this I've, up to now at least, been lucky with humbrol varnish. Apart from it's not always been as matt as I might like for figures. I'll add the Mig matt to the shopping list.

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 1