Mk 5 Centurion coming from Amusing Hobby

Kingsman

Amusing have announced a British-spec Mk 5 Centurion kit.  Presumably exploiting the hull moulds from the FV4005.  Bit of a shame that they're covering the same ground as AFV Club and not going for a long-hull Mk7 and later variants.  They could of course follow AFV Club with a Mk 6 and Israeli versions, or even do a Mk 11.

I will be interested to see their running gear, IMHO one of the drawbacks of the AFV Club kits.  Looks like indy link tracks, which get my vote but I know are not to everyone's liking.  Workable suspension with springs etc is a gimmick.  Centurion wheels are hard to mould because of the annular reinforcing rings, almost impossible in injection plastic.  Which is why AFV Club and others have chosen to mould them in flexible vinyl as part of the tyres.  Same goes for Comet wheels.  Centurion originally had Comet wheels but they evolved over time with additional reinforcement.  The CAD images show no rings.  If so, that will mean replacement wheels ...........

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Very nearly ordered one of these fron China, took a bit of will power not to.

What's the rush? I can wait till in the UK and spend money supporting a homegrown model shop.

Also doing the FV4005... the big ugly one from outside Bovington. 

Make an interesting WIF, if that's your thing...

Darryl 

• Like 1

Interesting.

I'm currently building the Amusing Hobby FV4005.

My personal observations:

The spring suspension is a bit of a gimmick and when completed it's only the middle bogie's that remain working. You can cut some links on the others to allow the full movement though.

The tracks are very good, being individual links that require very little cleanup and just click together. It doesn't take long to construct both sides. They do need gluing when complete though, as the lengths will split quite easily.

The rest of the kit is a challenge. Every single part requires some clean up and AM use mainly butt joints, which require careful test fitting. 

The instructions are plain B/W line drawings that are mostly clear, but the build sequence requires that you jump all over the place.

One of the things that bugs me about the kit is AM have given virtually ever surface a rough texture. This looks wrong on many parts, such as the side plates and stowage lockers, and requires removing. I did with the some parts, but lost the will to live with others!

It's certainly no Tamiya!

The price is high too.

Personally though, and oddly, I've loved the build! It takes you out of your comfort zone and gets you to drag out your old skills (let's face it, modern kits are amazingly easy to build!).

AM have found a niche market with unusual subjects, such as the FV, and I truly believe they'll get better at designing kits and hopefully bringing the price down a little.

Don't let me put people off buying AM kits, just don't buy them expecting a shake and bake kit. Expect a slow, challenging kit, that'll reward patience and skill and much brain work.

Of course, this is only my personal opinion......

Hth.

Rick.

• Thanks 1

@Rick Brown Thanks for a really useful review, they do some great subjects but never bought one and been tempted by the Centurion range... 

Great to have a heads-up by someone doing one.

Cheers

Darryl 

• Thanks 1