AIRLINER: Airbus A319, British Airways 2012 Olympics 'Dove' special.

This is the Revell 1/144 scale A319 kit built as one of the BA 'Dove' aircraft (in this case G-EUPA) using decals by BSModelle for the main scheme, and by Authentic Airlners for the cabin and cockpit windows.
The kit goes together well with no major issues; the BSModelle decals are excellent - easy to use, forgiving if you need to move them about a bit, and good to bed-in. The model was sprayed using a Halfords rattle can (fuselage) and hand-painted (everything else).

50035243561_5ca21f9ea7_c.jpg

50034700543_23afb2991f_c.jpg

Edited by techniquest
  • Like 40
  • Thanks 1

I like that a lot! Glad to hear there are decals for that scheme and more glad they allowed some moving around to get the alignment right. That had to have simplified the finishing a lot!

Very nice Dove. Well done and thanks for sharing.  :goodjob:

I had slightly mixed feelings about BS Modelle decals when I used them on a Donbassaero A320 a few years ago but the Dove looks great and the decals are obviously much more realistic than the Brasil Decals set I have in my stash.

Dave G

39 minutes ago, techniquest said:

It's Ford Diamond White.

Ahh, that explains why the white bits on the decal don't show up in the photo. The wings and fuselage are all the same grey on the doves, but I've not been able to work out whether the wings are the standard ggrey or not, they appear to be a bit lighter than normal.

Quite nice...and a very interesting livery. You guys across the pond ALL do such a nice job with the Halfords rattle cans. Wish we had something like that here in the USA. Everything I've tried that isn't true model paint...i.e. Tamiya, or prepared for the airbrush...is way to thick and cumbersome, and doesn't lend a good finish. This one looks great! Congrats on a very nice build.  Thanks for sharing. :yes:

5 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Ahh, that explains why the white bits on the decal don't show up in the photo. The wings and fuselage are all the same grey on the doves, but I've not been able to work out whether the wings are the standard ggrey or not, they appear to be a bit lighter than normal.

I used this shade as it is a 'darker' white (if that makes sense), but unfortunately not dark enough for the white on the decals to show up. I didn't want to go any darker as the aircraft isn't grey. It is the same colour on the wings.

Hi,

I don't think I've ever seen one of these BA Doves modelled before. It looks great especially with the addition of the AA windows.

Any more interesting liveries on your workbench?

Cheers,

Ian

4 hours ago, techniquest said:

I used this shade as it is a 'darker' white (if that makes sense), but unfortunately not dark enough for the white on the decals to show up. I didn't want to go any darker as the aircraft isn't grey. It is the same colour on the wings.

I think you've done a great job - I managed to fly on the dove A319s a few times.

I just had a look through my pictures on one occasion where I was flying ORY-LHR, and the wings are still grey on these, minus the corogard:

IMG_8264

The overall upper surface is the same grey as the flap actuator fairings on the underside, but it's a very light grey as you can see compared to the white feather markings.

I don't think it makes a difference to your build - I think it's beautiful!

I really like the blue cowling detail too!

On 6/25/2020 at 11:45 PM, Skodadriver said:

Very nice Dove. Well done and thanks for sharing.  :goodjob:

I had slightly mixed feelings about BS Modelle decals when I used them on a Donbassaero A320 a few years ago but the Dove looks great and the decals are obviously much more realistic than the Brasil Decals set I have in my stash.

Dave G

Out of interest, is the Brasil ones a bit iffy in some way? Not seen what they are like, is the colouring a bit wrong or are the gold lines not quite as detailed? 

Not looking at buying the Brasil ones, just curious having seen the BS Modelle ones that's all!

55 minutes ago, Soloturk said:

Out of interest, is the Brasil ones a bit iffy in some way? Not seen what they are like, is the colouring a bit wrong or are the gold lines not quite as detailed? 

Not looking at buying the Brasil ones, just curious having seen the BS Modelle ones that's all!

My apologies to Brasil Decals, the sheet is actually by Giodecals, not that there is any practical difference.

The designs are printed in a horrible caramel brown which isn't remotely like the real colour and the Chatham design for the fin is, putting it politely, crude and poorly rendered.

Fortunately I bought the sheet for the other livery on it (TAP's Euro 2004 A319 logojet) so the poor rendition of the Dove wasn't an issue for me but if anyone else is thinking of doing the Dove, forget Giodecals and go with BS Modelle. 

On 6/26/2020 at 10:24 AM, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Absolutely stunning! I don't recall this scheme. 

Saw this scheme a couple of times when I was working at Leeds-Bradford airport a few years ago.  The model really does the real aircraft justice.

• Like 1