Grumman F4F-4 Wildcat - Looking for help & advice

Hi everyone, I'm new here and just getting back into modelling after what must be about 20 years!

I've been building an Airfix starter set, the Wildcat. Always had a soft spot for this aircraft as it was frankly outmatched by the IJN's A6M2's but still managed to hold its ground and even excell thanks to the "Thach Weave".

Sadly I've had nothing short of a disaster as I was just starting the weathering phase. For reference, I've painted the model with Humbrol acrylic paints. After applying the decals I left it overnight and coated it with some Humbrol acrylic varnish from a spray can (satin finish). I've been watching a ton of Youtube videos on how to apply washes etc and was looking forward to having all those recessed details popping out. I used humbrol enamel washes, left them to work for about 20 minutes or so then went to tidy up with a paintbrush and a cotton wool bud, seemingly the stable of many YT vids. I used VERY small amounts of enamel thinner to just get the excess off. Sadly it's interacted with the paint, even through the varnish and it's peeling all the way back to the primer coat.

I'm pretty gutted as I spent quite a while getting the white coat to look decent (was a git to brush paint and took many layers). The left wing is completely buggered at this point, and I'm afraid to do anything else with it until I can understand why it's gone so badly. Have attached a couple pictures from my phone so you can see the damage.

Did I miss something? I only applied the wash to the underside of the model. Don't know what to use to remove the rest of the wash now without destroying the entire model. I tried to remove small amounts from the left fuselage too but stopped as soon as I saw what it had done to the wing.

Will be grateful for any advice you can give me, otherwise this one might be headed for the bin.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Sad 1

One solution, just to save the model, would be to apply a couple of coats of clear acrylic (perhaps parts of the original problem may have been too thin an acrylic topcoat, or too violent of an enamel thinner!),  When thoroughly dry, repaint the white and by some cheapie used decals on E-bay or the like for the under-surfaces only.  I think it would be quite a chore to strip the bottom wings only, without also messing up the top parts of the model.  It may be possible, but hard to do.

That being said, since you didn't mind the use of enamel washes, next model, I would switch things around and use Colourcoats enamels for the real paints with possibly oil or water-based acrylic washes.  You could even use the old standby, diluted India Ink with a drop of dish detergent in it.  If so, research the India inks, as all types are not suited.

Lastly, FWIW, the main landing gear legs, etc. should be black, I believe...

Ed

I feel your pain! I suffered this a few times myself with oil and enamel washes, but since using water-based Flory washes over a gloss coat I have never had an issue (I airbrush acrylics). Can highly recommend them,

HTH,

Roger

Strange because i looked at the picture and thought fantastic weathering then read the text to see how you achieved it which just goes to show, one mans disaster is another amazing success..

I use tamiya paints and humbrol thinned as a wash and clean up with white spirit which doesnt attack the tamiya.

What a shame, I suffered the same disappointment many times. Yes, I would strip it back, I haven't tried oven cleaner but have used Mr Levelling thinner with success. Tamiya lacquer thinner attacks the plastic so don't use that. I suffered that disappointment too.

Keep at it and don't be put off!

Hi folks, thanks for the replies.

I went back this morning and tried the same process on the top of the model, and thankfully have had better success. I'm wondering perhaps I didn't get a thick enough coat of varnish, or perhaps it hadn't set properly before I attacked it with the washes etc. It was also extremely hot and humid yesterday, which might have affected the drying time on the varnish. I gave the top side a good spray and left it overnight to cure properly, seems to have done the trick.

Also noted not to bother using a satin varnish in future for this (will use gloss). I saw one chap use it and recommended over gloss as he preferred how the washes ran on it. For me however, it meant that I had to "paint" the wash over the panel lines, instead of pin washing and having the wash flow where it needed to. It looks a bit messy, but I got the panel lines to pop a little without the paint peeling off. So lesson learnt for future kits.

I'm feeling like I might let this one be for now. I've had two propellor blades fall off, repaired and then fall off again (plus a wheel lol). I enjoyed the build so much that I didn't really consider how much of a pain it would be during the painting stage without damaging these fragile parts. Perhaps I'll come back to it in a while and try to strip and repaint, I've had quite a bit of frustration with this model so I might be better for coming back to it after enjoying something else for a few days.

The good news is my next kit is a jet, so no propellors to be found :). It's an Academy MiG-23S "Flogger" in 1:72 scale. It's a very basic kit to put together, with a nice mono-tone camouflage scheme. Ideal for practicing my brush painting technique, I remember building a Flogger with my dad when I was about 6 so it'll be a nice trip down memory lane! I can't attest to the paint scheme we did for that one being quite historical however lol.

In relation to the colour of the gear assembly, you're mostly correct. However I was just following the scheme on the box, which was white and possibly related to this example here in this photo. It bears the same squadron emblem and paint scheme:

377745_original.jpg

Edited by Drunken_Jedi