VIP Voyager paint job complete.

EwenS

Beautiful in my opinion!

The swirls may confuse the Movers at Brize though 😉 !

I can see many a ding around the cargo doors!

(It wasn't me and no one could ever prove it !).

Rick.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Anyone else notice a length of what semed to be blue paper roll that suddenly appeared in the vicinity of the port tailplane as the aircraft started to rotate? 

It wasn't visible around the tailplane root or leading edge as it was taxiing along the runway, but at 2:58 it suddenly flew up in the air, and certainly didn't look to come from the runway surface - though that's where it fluttered down to. Hopefully someone did a FOD sweep and retrieved it afterwards...

Something heavier than a Kimwipe as I remember them.

More like one of those clothes used for cleaning up a hydraulic fluid spill (are they Kimwipes too?).

Yep, slapped wrist for a FOD hazard.

Rick.

I have to say that despite my objections to the whole idea I quite like the scheme (if it was an Airliner) but it is a bit over-stated for an official VIP transport isn't it? I do like that the sections of blue are quite small so that they can be deleted when the political requirement comes along (yes, I am having a laugh). Once they add the "- For Sale" decals immediately behind the "United Kingdom" the job will be a good 'un (yes, that's also meant to be tongue in cheek).

On a serious note I am with Giorgio in that the "United Kingdom" would have looked better in a blue colour matching the background of the Union flag, other than that it is a good looking scheme. It certainly has that "I'm on the pull" look to it so beloved by the desperate (I'll leave you to make your own mind up about that one!).

Duncan B 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Think of it this way. If you planted a flag on a flagpole at the base of the fin and took off, how would the flag look in the airflow? Answer - just as it appears on the fin. Same both sides.

• Like 2

I've got mixed feelings about this.  I don't have a problem with the concept but, to me, it just looks like an airliner scheme (way too similar to BA's) and the United Kingdon legend looks incongrous, especially as it is in gold which is garish and clashes with the rest of the scheme.  I'd prefer it to read Royal Air Force and not in that 'logo' style they continue to use either.  I would have preferred something a bit more restrained I suppose.

• Like 2

The United Kingdom title looks like a bit of an afterthought and as other people have commented is a bit big. A lot of countries have the name on their VVIP, but it would have matched the scheme if it was smaller and less blingy. 

• Like 2

an aircraft carrying the most important VIPs of a state should be a bit more understated

Quite so.  I’ve been watching the doumentary about Mrs Thatcher this week, and the old white-and-grey VC10 scheme that kept appearing came over as tasteful and elegant.  In fact, it looked tasteful and elegant wrapped round anything, even a Belfast.  As this is an RAF aircraft when it comes down to it, and as our VIPs were hitherto always content to use RAF aircraft in their service schemes, if anyone thought all-grey was a bit gloomy, the Voyager done the same way as the VC10 would have done nicely.

The United Kingdom title looks like a bit of an afterthought and as other people have commented is a bit big. A lot of countries have the name on their VVIP, but it would have matched the scheme if it was smaller and less blingy. 

I think the problem isn’t the size - the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA titles on things like the 707 are huge, but they work, because they fit the design.  (That, incidentally, is a lovely bit of work that’s starting to pass from retro to timeless.  It’s always nice to see Air Force One on the ramp and admire the mirror finish on the bare metal.)  No, the problems are:

·         position: the title, the windows and the long blue flash are crammed too close together over the wing.  There’s more space, and better visibility, just behind the cockpit.

·         colour: gold? really?

·         typeface: deeply dull choice, not helped by the odd presentation of the serial, which is as tall as the roundel and plonked up in another crowded spot ahead of the tail.

There’s other clutter too.  Why is there a large Royal Air Force logo aft, and another smaller one just by the first door?  Why are there Union Flags on the first two doors?  And what are those bars above the roundel - can anyone tell?  (Are they part of the airframe?)

The overall impression is of a fair job of the red-white-and-blue being spoiled by someone saying they wanted lots of bling and words on it as well.  Presumably that’s for the seven people left in the world who wouldn’t recognise the Union Flag.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, pigsty said:

And what are those bars above the roundel - can anyone tell?  (Are they part of the airframe?)

They're formation lights (also known as Slime Lines) so they're part of the airframe - the black portions are Night Vision compatible sections.

The same lights on a regular grey Voyager:

spacer.png

Well, it's not as bad as the awfulness I feared when some Government minister uttered the chilling phrase that it would be a "showpiece for UK creative arts" or some such.

I don't see any reason for the RAF corporate logo (still irredeemably awful - to think some clown got paid money for designing a wonky Y) ahead of the serial and why, when the RAF roundel has been reduced to token size, have we a rather obtrusive full-size serial?  But I can live with it.

Looks quite good in flight and from slightly behind.. and refueling duties suit it well! Wonder how often though Typhoons and Lightnings will meet it for this purpose.... 

7 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Wonder how often though Typhoons and Lightnings will meet it for this purpose.... 

Isn't there also something in the contract about the fleet being available for civilian charters . . . . .  if anyone could go on holiday that might be a nice surprise for them.

• Haha 1

Better overall than it promised to be... but I agree the 'UNITED KINGDOM' title does not match the rest of the design at all. I question the need for it at all, as the Union flag is not one that can be confused with any other nation's flag. I think the serial number is that big to let people know that we've spent money on repainting one airframe only, folks. Otherwise, why not just put it somewhere under the tailplanes. And yes, lose the corporate logo as well.

And as for the kimwipe or whatever, never mind that. Did you see the hash the pilot made when he turned the Voyager around to take off? Perhaps he should have followed the yellow line thoughtfully painted on the ground rather than leaving half of his nosewheel tyres on the runway. That's what it's there for, after all. Bet they gave the nosewheel a check at Brize with that castoring as well.

Edited by Truro Model Builder

1 hour ago, Des said:

Isn't there also something in the contract about the fleet being available for civilian charters . . . . .  if anyone could go on holiday that might be a nice surprise for them.

Not quite. The contract calls for a core fleet of nine aircraft to be immediately available, with five reserve or surge aircraft. These are the ones which, when not required for RAF ops, may be leased by AirTanker to airlines with military equipment removed, fitted for 320-odd economy class passengers and repainted in the markings of its operator. I believe at present only two are leased out, both to Jet2. While any of the fourteen Voyagers can be part of the core or surge fleets, ZZ336 has a permanent VIP fit of 58 business-class seats and 100 economy class seats. As such it will remain as a core aircraft indefinitely and available for use by the government or the Royal Family when required. You won't be heading off to Florida on that one, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Truro Model Builder said:

And as for the kimwipe or whatever, never mind that.

Could have been somewhat embarrassing had the piece of FOD left on the UK's new 'showpiece' aircraft been ingested into an engine or jammed the tailplane mechanism, and caused an incident or accident - imagine the headlines that would have resulted in...

Edited by andyf117
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, pigsty said:

Quite so.  I’ve been watching the doumentary about Mrs Thatcher this week, and the old white-and-grey VC10 scheme that kept appearing came over as tasteful and elegant.  In fact, it looked tasteful and elegant wrapped round anything, even a Belfast.  As this is an RAF aircraft when it comes down to it, and as our VIPs were hitherto always content to use RAF aircraft in their service schemes, if anyone thought all-grey was a bit gloomy, the Voyager done the same way as the VC10 would have done nicely.

I think the problem isn’t the size - the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA titles on things like the 707 are huge, but they work, because they fit the design.  (That, incidentally, is a lovely bit of work that’s starting to pass from retro to timeless.  It’s always nice to see Air Force One on the ramp and admire the mirror finish on the bare metal.)  No, the problems are:

·         position: the title, the windows and the long blue flash are crammed too close together over the wing.  There’s more space, and better visibility, just behind the cockpit.

·         colour: gold? really?

·         typeface: deeply dull choice, not helped by the odd presentation of the serial, which is as tall as the roundel and plonked up in another crowded spot ahead of the tail.

There’s other clutter too.  Why is there a large Royal Air Force logo aft, and another smaller one just by the first door?  Why are there Union Flags on the first two doors?  And what are those bars above the roundel - can anyone tell?  (Are they part of the airframe?)

The overall impression is of a fair job of the red-white-and-blue being spoiled by someone saying they wanted lots of bling and words on it as well.  Presumably that’s for the seven people left in the world who wouldn’t recognise the Union Flag.

Yes, it has the distinct feeling of being designed by committee.  Some designer is probably gritting his or her teeth because someone in a meeting said 'I really like it BUT... ' followed by 'imporvements' like United Kingdom written on it in disproportionate lettering in a non-matching font and in a colour which clashes with the rest of the design and means the serial number has to be crammed in.  That sort of thing happens a lot in telly where an exec will 'improve' somebody's work. 

I think if it was me I'd scrap the United Kingdom lettering altogether, move the serial under the tail in white over the Union Jack red and increase the size of the roundel and maybe have the blue swirl run under it.  I'd also lose the RAF logo, which I've always hated and think looks crass. 

Edited by Meatbox8
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, AMB said:

Nicola Sturgeon won't be happy about the United Kingdom lettering 🙄

She’s already ordered the Zaps to apply the first time it lands in Scotland, they read DIS. 😁

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1