EE Lightning F.1

Hello all.

During 'Lockdown' I have made a concerted effort to reduce my stash. I have rattled off a number of ships (to varying qualities), a helicopter, a number of other subjects, and it was only a matter of time before I arrived at my favourite subject, the EE Lightning. I have lots built and lots more in the stash, so it was only just that I tackled one. I have built a couple of Sword Lightnings, and that helped me no end and I planned for a number of potential tricky sections. Seeing  @giemme building his wonderful two-seater also helped and I have to say I unashamedly borrowed one or two of his ideas, so thansk for that! However, I still had a couple of problems in that I did not get the wing droop quite right despite there being minimal gap at the upper join, and the canopy would not fit closed, although that does help show the interior. I will have to work on that better for the next ones in the future!

Anyway, here is the result, I have modelled it as an F.1 of the Leuchars Target Facilities Flight , RAF Leuchars in 1972. It is a really colourful aircraft, and it was flying there when I lived not far from the end of the runway at Leuchars. The specific markings were from Model Alliance (MA-72134), but they were rather translucent, and it shows, even on a silver finish. The other markings came from Sword and some spare Airfix (so it did not read 'Keep Clean of Intakes'). An enterprising manufacturer should print off a series of these placards for all those Sword kits!

DSCN6076

DSCN6081

DSCN6082

DSCN6084

DSCN6087

I was surprised at the amount of etch supplied, there was a couple of bits for the wheel wells which I have not seen in the Sword F.3 and T.4 kits, but no seatbelts.

I have to admit I am a bit of an addict when it comes to Lightnings, and I am constantly seeking to try to improve my renditions of them, and I am quite pleased with this one.

All the best everyone, and especially thanks to Giemme for indirectly prompting me to do this one. The next thing I need to learn is how to drill out the nub (and not my finger) which holds the pitot tube and will allow me to use a Master pitot instead of the plastic one - the advice is in his thread!

Take care all,

Ray

• Like 28

That's' an extremely good build of the Lightning F.1, in markings not commonly seen. Exceptionally nice paint work, my friend!

• Like 1

I have made the Sword T5 Lightning and can appreciate the fun and games these kits present in terms of build. But they are interesting subjects so worth building. Well done. 

• Like 1

That's a beauty of an F1 my friend. The Leuchars TFF markings do look really smart. Great build and finish on a tricky model. I've built 3 and despite its short run limitations in places its a lovely kit....the best 72nd scale early mark out there in my opinion by a long way (until Airfix pull their finger out!) You can never have too many frightnings 👍👍

• Like 1

Thank you for all the comments and likes on this, they are all very much appreciated!

The Sword kits are very nice, but you do have to put a bit of work into them, and also have a good memory as to the tricks to get them turning out okay. I will readily admit that I am still learning with them, and experimenting on trying to get the panel tones too. I do not have an airbrush, and so far I have only been able to get the panel tones by brush-painting the silver. This one was rattle-canned Tamiya Silver Leaf, but that swamped the panels I had picked out on a test on the F.3 tail that is spare in the kit.

I love the Sword kits, and I also like the new Airfix F.2A and F.6 kits but you still need to work at them too.

All the best, and thanks again,

Ray

• Like 1