VMF-512 F4U-ID - Tamiya 1/48 ***FINISHED***

Ray_W

29 minutes ago, luftmodels said:

Why did you spray top of the body with a matt and the wings with gloss?

The late war ANA623 Glossy Sea Blue (GSB) faded. This colour is not to be confused with the revised and much more robust post war 1947-48 formulation. The GSB started off as a very dark smoky midnight blue and then transitioned to a lighter blue-grey losing its shine gradually depending on the surface's exposure to the elements. Further, a non-specular (matt) finish was also applied on top of the nose in front of the windscreen. This faded to a very dull grey even more rapidly than the remainder of the aircraft. If you look in my post #125 of the nose of Brooklyn Butcher you can see the separation of the dull faded top surface to the lower cowl sides. You can see the lower sides have a slight sheen. In conclusion, there is a lot of subtle variation going on in colour and sheen that I am trying to replicate.

EDIT: I should add, I weathered the underside outboard wing panels more than the top side. As these US Marines aircraft were stored outside, on the carrier deck, wings folded, the underside effectively became a top side shading the fuselage and received a hammering from the elements. The level of weathering/fading is most pronounced in war time photos.   

Edited by Ray_W
More info
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Ray_W said:

The late war ANA623 Glossy Sea Blue (GSB) faded. This colour is not to be confused with the revised and much more robust post war 1947-48 formulation. The GSB started off as a very dark smoky midnight blue and then transitioned to a lighter blue-grey losing its shine gradually depending on the surface's exposure to the elements. Further, a non-specular (matt) finish was also applied on top of the nose in front of the windscreen. This faded to a very dull grey even more rapidly than the remainder of the aircraft. If you look in my post #125 of the nose of Brooklyn Butcher you can see the separation of the dull faded top surface to the lower cowl sides. You can see the lower sides have a slight sheen. In conclusion, there is a lot of subtle variation going on in colour and sheen that I am trying to replicate.

EDIT: I should add, I weathered the underside outboard wing panels more than the top side. As these US Marines aircraft were stored outside, on the carrier deck, wings folded, the underside effectively became a top side shading the fuselage and received a hammering from the elements. The level of weathering/fading is most pronounced in war time photos.   

Thank you for this detailed answer. I get it now. You have done a great deal of research!

15 hours ago, luftmodels said:

Why did you spray top of the body with a matt and the wings with gloss?

To expand a little, the matt area in front of the cockpit is an anti glare strip, in ANA 607 Non-Specular Sea Blue (ie matt) with the rest of the airframe in ANA623 Glossy Sea Blue

The US Navy had 3 sea blues in WW2, 

ANA606 Semi-Gloss Sea Blue

ANA607 Non-Specular Sea Blue

ANA623 Glossy Sea Blue

ANA 606 and 607 were used in the "tri color" scheme,  this from from Dana Bell

"The scheme is actually four colors - white, Intermediate Blue, Semi-gloss Sea Blue (atop the wings and horizontal tail), and Non-Specular Sea Blue (atop the fuselage and on leading edges of the wings and stabs). The last two colors differ in more than the gloss factor - non-spec is distinctly grayer and lighter than the semi-gloss. I generally refer to the scheme as 4-color to clarify the differences."

see here for more, and various links

this is the paint diagram 

tbf_profile01.jpg&key=1bfd1ca759213d110b

this photo shows a greater contrast than the paint chip in the linked thread

WYn4VSK.jpg

hope not too much thread clutter @Ray_W

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

To expand a little, the matt area in front of the cockpit is an anti glare strip, in ANA 607 Non-Specular Sea Blue (ie matt) with the rest of the airframe in ANA623 Glossy Sea Blue

Thank you for detailed explanation with graphics. I appreciate it. 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

hope not too much thread clutter

Thanks Troy for coming in with the good information. I wondered if they used ANA 607 for the non-glare area in front of the windscreen. In the end I tried to replicate what I could see off the usual couple of colour photos like the back of Dana's book and the 1946 Mediterranean image all while maintaining the demarcation and dullness of all the VMF-512 black and white photos. If I could plant myself on the USS Gilbert Islands in July 1945 maybe I would come back with a different concept. In the end I am happy with my interpretation.  The photos of my build do tend to lose some of the interesting blue shades/effects that are going on. 

5 hours ago, luftmodels said:

Thank you for this detailed answer. I get it now. You have done a great deal of research!

The fun of the hobby - research and replicate - rarely get it totally right but the intent is there. 

• Like 4

Well,  I'm calling it DONE!

Some finishing with brown enamel panel liner and then various clear finishes matt through to gloss and a little weathering.  Finally, the addition of the bits and pieces that had been completed earlier.

I added the aerial wires using silver painted fishing line with the springs/attachments made from stretched cotton bud (Q-Tip) shaft.

Corsair_Construction_111

The "100 mph" tape over the gun ports was painted white decal. Chipping was with a silver and a yellow pencil.

Corsair_Construction_114

As I have complained all the way through this build, it has been difficult to capture the blue in the finish. The high resolution images do show it a little better. If I was doing this again using Gunze H55 (of which I have no complaints) I would mix in a little H54 "Navy Blue", less than 5%,  to bring out little more of the blue.  

Corsair_Construction_115

This image is probably better at showing what I was trying to achieve in terms of variation - weathered GSB. You can notice the hint of blue-green next to the charcoal of the foot strips. Frankly, one of the most challenging paint jobs I have attempted. Next build is a bf 110 with Luftwaffe mottle. Phew! Much easier.

Corsair_Construction_117

The underside was a delight. Great having all this gear hanging out. Don't you hate stealth? Mind you an F-35 in "Beast" mode still looks cool.

Corsair_Construction_112

As previously mentioned, I drilled out the exhausts and the undercarriage torque links. Exhaust staining (airbrush) and oil leaks and other effects achieved with artist's water soluble pencils and oils.

Corsair_Construction_113

And a final underside ordnance image. Sorry no pigtails. I already do not know how I'll get this back home to Australia with so many fragile additions. Pigtails? More tiny bits of copper wire to get squashed and caught so I left them off. Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

Oh that canopy is about to fall off! Had it in place with a tiny amount of some Blu-tac.

Corsair_Construction_116

A very challenging and, yet, most enjoyable group build subject. Special thanks to the hosts for their unbelievable enthusiasm and active participation and in making this such a successful group build.  Thanks to everyone for their contribution. 

Another great group build out of the way and now on to matters Battle of Britain.

I'll post some pictures in the gallery tomorrow, see if I can capture the blue.

Gallery link: 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235073994-f4u-corsair-stgb-gallery/&tab=comments#comment-3789353 

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
added link to gallery
  • Like 13

• Ray_W changed the title to VMF-512 F4U-ID - Tamiya 1/48 ***FINISHED***

Ray, I think you captured this Butcher in the way it was in a real life. The paint work looks stunning! Perfect variation of dark shades and making them play well together. Just splendid! Congrats with the end! 👍🏻 Looking forward to see your bf-110 in works.

• Thanks 1

@Hewy @GREG DESTEC @Corsairfoxfouruncle @modelling minion @luftmodels

Thanks Guys for the kind words. I was very pleased how it turned out. Another pleasurable STGB on Britmodeller in large part because of your involvement.

I have to post another picture. I call it "Late War Brutes".

Corsair_Construction_FInal_7

Ray

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Sleepwalker said:

Stunning and motivational. I just purchased F4U-1D from Tamiya and waiting now for Eduard's PEs. Too late thought to join the campaign. Your work may serve as a reference for the paint job.

Thank you for the kind words. You will love it. Mine had been in the stash for over 20 years! I think I also have the bird cage and -1A. At my rate, I'll probably get around to building those in 2040. Hopefully we will have another STGB before then.😄

Ray

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HoolioPaulio said:

Beautiful work my friend, love it.

Thank you Paul. Glad you like it.

• Like 1

I like the comparison shot.

It's a toss up her the Tempest and the Corsair over which is more brutish 😬

However the Spitfire in all it's forms is still to good looking to be a brute 😍

Excellent builds Ray 👍 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GREG DESTEC said:

I like the comparison shot.

It's a toss up her the Tempest and the Corsair over which is more brutish 😬

However the Spitfire in all it's forms is still to good looking to be a brute 😍

Excellent builds Ray 👍 

Yes, the comparison is very nice. Spitfire is very subtle even with cropped wings. On the other side, Corsair looks like, I don't know why, a death sentence for the airplane being in front of it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Hopefully we will have another STGB before then.😄

If Im still alive and kicking it will be long before then. Maybe 2022-23. I will wait a year before proposing it so as to let interest rekindle. Don't want to overdo it and create burnout on the subject matter.

• Like 2