VMF-512 F4U-ID - Tamiya 1/48 ***FINISHED***

Ray_W

Hello ray, your corsair is looking superb, beautifully done so far, I'm  not one usually one for priming models , bmf apart ,I'm  in the less paint more detail category ,but I've  noticed this mr hobby 1500 primer on a few kits ,and you've  convinced me to get some of this , 

Love the bomb fins too btw 👍

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hewy said:

i'm  in the less paint more detail category

Hewy, you'll find you do not sacrifice much, if any, detail. With the paints available now, tough thin coats are doable for all coats and with multiple coats and recoat. The black gives a great base for black basing techniques or your own modified style - pre shade, post shade, semi-marble or what ever. And you will find you use less paint. Seems counter intuitive I know. Worth a try to see if it suits your style and personal preference. Certainly works for me. 

54 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

an excellent finish which will be a great base for the paint

Thanks Craig, the next steps are going to be very interesting, Black/Blue GSB on black. Looking forward to the experimentation on my paint mule. Sorry it's my usual weak joke. I don't have a paint mule. Always do my experimentation on the current build. 

• Like 2

This is my first glossy blue since back in the day when a good hand painted solid coat of enamel paint was the norm. So this one is, in large part, an experiment using my current techniques. 

Order of the day was a variable late war glossy blue that will exhibit variation in a relatively solid coat. Some fading to a more greyish tone and variable flat and gloss finishes dependent on sun exposure and the elements. This is what I am trying to achieve. Aircraft in the foreground.

Corsair_Construction_48

I decided to use my usual black undercoat and first of all played with some dark greys and black to add some variability under the finish coats.   One of things with black basing is that it is not just a colour and opacity thing. It is also adds a textural panel variation that's so hard to show in a photo but, in my view, adds life.  

Here's my greys and blacks put down on the black base I do not want a light base to make the blue jump out of the top coats so relatively dark colours were used. There is a lot more going on than a photo can capture.  Subtle is the word. 

Corsair_Construction_49

I think Gunze H55, which they describe as "Midnight Blue" and label U.S. Navy Aircraft WWII, is a good match for a pristine paint job late war glossy sea blue. It has that smoky dark blue-green/black colour. So I applied it with some further marbling and finished with a thin coat. Everything thinned with Mr Levelling Thinners. I then went over it with another very thin coat of Gunze H54 Navy Blue just to make it a fraction more bluish without loosing what was underneath and being careful not to turn it into a blue/grey mid war machine. 

I was happy with the result but oh so difficult to capture in a photo.  A photo off the bench just shows it with a nice solid black and loses the real colour and texture you capture with your eye.

Corsair_Construction_50

To show it a little better I need some sunlight. Try these:

Corsair_Construction_53

Corsair_Construction_52

Corsair_Construction_51

You can see things happening already and this is before post shading and really having fun. Next job.

Ray

• Like 8

Finished the post shading by lightening the fabric areas with most fade on the underside of the wings towards the wing tips. Also applied a lighter shade to the upper fuselage sections and other likely locations.

At this stage nothing has been done for correction of the different levels of shine that is needed ranging from glossy to dead flat. This will happen with clear coats towards the end of the build.

Corsair_Construction_55

Corsair_Construction_56

This can now be left to dry. Tomorrow I'll put down a gloss coat and then put it aside till the weekend.  I'll be using Montex masks and want to obtain a consistent surface to take the masking with plenty of gloss coat drying time before their application. After using the masks I can then continue on with a few decals. Mean time, I can go on to completing the other bits and pieces. 

Ray

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well now that is a good looking paint job. You're definitely starting to get the layered effects needed to get the overall effect of your photo. 

Thanks Dennis, I think it's heading the right way. Very happy with the fuselage demarcation. The photography of the wings doesn't quite capture it and makes the faded fabric section colour variation a little more stark than it is. I think accentuated by the difference in the level of gloss of the respective colours. I'll be very interested to see what it looks like under a gloss coat. Reality is that with the National Insignia and white stripes much is covered so I could leave it and finishing filters should blend it in.  We'll see. Ray 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

A very nice varied effect for a single colour aircraft.

I am very happy with the variance. I have been trying to take a photo that captures the actual appearance. This head-on one is not too bad.

Corsair_Construction_57

Ray

• Like 7

Seems everything I post looks the same yet there has been some work going on.

I put down a clear coat of gloss Gunze GX112. Love this stuff, its tied it all together and made the fading slightly less stark, appropriate for a reasonably new airframe in the Pacific, and yet maintained the tonal variation. Its kept a very smooth thin surface with just enough gloss for the next step. 

I really like the shade of glossy sea blue achieved and have not, as yet, captured a good photo. Every photo seems too black, too blue, or too grey.  I hope I can do it justice by the final photos. 

Corsair_Construction_59

Corsair_Construction_60

This happens to be a busy what-pays-the-bills work week and that's good. More kits, more kits? No! I can easily leave the Corsair alone until the weekend and allow it to harden to give a good solid foundation for the masking - Montex masks insignia and stripes.

I have a few decals to apply. In this case I'll just bed them in diluted Future. I had tried straight Future before and was never happy with the potential ridge that could be left behind then @stevehnz posted his excellent article on the use of diluted Future. Great technique! Simple! Why had I never thought of that?   Thank you Steve. The surface finish will work perfectly with this technique. My only change is to bed in diluted Future and top coat with my normal GX-100 or GX-112. Just a personal preference. 

If you have not caught up with the technique then here its is as pinned in "Decals": 

While sitting at my bench, admiring my lovely GSB F4U, I spotted the tail wheel door covers. Having grabbed my handy Tamiya sprue cutters, I thought I'd shear off that tail wheel fairing. Hesitated for a moment to check my photo records. I had none showing this detail for VMF-512 White 21 "Brooklyn Butcher" . There is a photo of VMF-512 White 23 and lo and behold it has the fairing. Ok I'll also keep it for White 21.

Corsair_Construction_62

So the job went from cutting to thinning.

Corsair_Construction_61

Now looking forward to using those Montex Masks.

Ray

• Like 5

11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice Ray.

Thanks Craig.

11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Leaving it all to harden for a couple of days is a very good idea if you're using masks, we don't want anything lifting do we.

Exactly! Reality is that it is a nice solid coat and probably will, as usual, give no problems but yes why rush when we don't need to and besides if I'm bored I can always fold and roll the PE for the rocket attachments - not one of my favourite jobs.   EDIT: I have started a new thread on how I go about this.

Edited by Ray_W
Added some more information
  • Like 1

Some nice little pieces coming together.

First off a 500 lb bomb ready for the ordnance trolley. I mixed a greenish olive drab from a brownish olive drab. Then the usual bomb painting routine - keep the fins clean, lighten parts of the bomb itself, use oils for some dot filters, bit of sponge with dark grey dab lightly, and a flat coat. Oh ... and spray and mask the yellow bands first. Brengun aftermarket - not bad. 

Corsair_Construction_70

Some 5" HVAR's. This time Eduard aftermarket. AK Xtreme "Flat Aluminium" body and fins (the photos make it appear more shiny), the brownish olive drab for the warheads, lighten and use a dot filter.

Pig-tails to come later. Eduard provide a flat PE version. I'll fabricate something.

Those PE mounting brackets were a quick and easy job using the jig I mentioned in my previous build post.

Corsair_Construction_71

It's got some wheels to rest on. Brengun resin again. Tyre black is the undercoat Black Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 then dusted with Mig Airfield Dust Pigment.

Corsair_Construction_72

A big Hamilton Standard propeller. I was experimenting with some AK Xtreme "Polished Aluminium" which I like a lot. Like many of these metal paints you almost need another airbrush dedicated to metallics. Getting all the stuff out is tough. AK sell their own airbrush cleaner for this product. I used lacquer thinners and Mr Tool Cleaner. Had the airbrush immaculate. Finally shot a cup of thinners through it (from experience). Put down a gloss coat over the black and, you guessed it, a very fine silver speckle. I suppose we can compliment AK on how fine the silver was  :smirk:. A bit of corrective respray and all is good.  Some silver pencil on the leading edge. Sand the back of the blade a little on the rear leading face most towards the tip for scuffing not through to the aluminium. and have some fun with flat coat variation after dabbing with some flat black to give some prop face variation and make those tips part of the whole. Pictures of VMF-512 White 21 show a propeller in very good order. 

Corsair_Construction_73

And a boring fuel tank. This is the starboard, usually carried, fuel tank. I can find very little in the way of detail. Any help appreciated. Get a couple of good pics and I'll jazz it up a little.

Corsair_Construction_75

On to masking the aircraft. Time for some markings.

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
typo
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Ray_W said:

This is the starboard, usually carried, fuel tank. I can find very little in the way of detail. Any help appreciated. Get a couple of good pics and I'll jazz it up a little.

Im not at home right now but I will check my stuff and see what I can find. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hopefully this helps ? 

Thanks Dennis for the quick response as always.

Similar problem I run across, always the port tank. In the Eduard PE they give you everything to fully detail the port tank and nothing for the starboard tank. As the starboard tank was, in effect, a near permanent feature acting as a replacement for the leading edge wing tanks, I wondered if its detail was minimal. In other words piped in differently and with less requirements than the port temporary tank. I found the following image and this seems to be the case. Now this photo may of just been a mock-up prototyping that tank. In other images there seems to be more going on yet nothing is clear. I'll keep looking until satisfied.

Corsair_Construction_76

• Like 1

Hi Ray,

The first 300 F4U-1Ds were plumbed for the right rack only; that rack could also carry a bomb.  The left rack was rigged for a bomb only.  Subsequent -1Ds were all plumbed on both racks, which (other than being handed) were identical.  Kits were produced to add the plumbing to the left rack on the initial 300, though I'm not certain that all were retrofitted.

The other note is the camouflage scheme - only the first 300 -1Ds wore the four-tone camouflage.

If you still need pix of the left rack, let me know...

Cheers,

Dana

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2020 at 9:52 AM, Ray_W said:

Some nice little pieces coming together.

First off a 500 lb bomb ready for the ordnance trolley. I mixed a greenish olive drab from a brownish olive drab. Then the usual bomb painting routine - keep the fins clean, lighten parts of the bomb itself, use oils for some dot filters, bit of sponge with dark grey dab lightly, and a flat coat. Oh ... and spray and mask the yellow bands first. Brengun aftermarket - not bad. 

Corsair_Construction_70

Some 5" HVAR's. This time Eduard aftermarket. AK Xtreme "Flat Aluminium" body and fins (the photos make it appear more shiny), the brownish olive drab for the warheads, lighten and use a dot filter.

Pig-tails to come later. Eduard provide a flat PE version. I'll fabricate something.

Those PE mounting brackets were a quick and easy job using the jig I mentioned in my previous build post.

Corsair_Construction_71

It's got some wheels to rest on. Brengun resin again. Tyre black is the undercoat Black Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 then dusted with Mig Airfield Dust Pigment.

Corsair_Construction_72

A big Hamilton Standard propeller. I was experimenting with some AK Xtreme "Polished Aluminium" which I like a lot. Like many of these metal paints you almost need another airbrush dedicated to metallics. Getting all the stuff out is tough. AK sell their own airbrush cleaner for this product. I used lacquer thinners and Mr Tool Cleaner. Had the airbrush immaculate. Finally shot a cup of thinners through it (from experience). Put down a gloss coat over the black and, you guessed it, a very fine silver speckle. I suppose we can compliment AK on how fine the silver was  :smirk:. A bit of corrective respray and all is good.  Some silver pencil on the leading edge. Sand the back of the blade a little on the rear leading face most towards the tip for scuffing not through to the aluminium. and have some fun with flat coat variation after dabbing with some flat black to give some prop face variation and make those tips part of the whole. Pictures of VMF-512 White 21 show a propeller in very good order. 

Corsair_Construction_73

And a boring fuel tank. This is the starboard, usually carried, fuel tank. I can find very little in the way of detail. Any help appreciated. Get a couple of good pics and I'll jazz it up a little.

Corsair_Construction_75

On to masking the aircraft. Time for some markings.

Ray

Beautiful work! Looks nice and real (the bomb in particular). How did you weather the prop hub? I can see some darkness there. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, luftmodels said:

Beautiful work! Looks nice and real (the bomb in particular). How did you weather the prop hub? I can see some darkness there.

Thanks Dennis, I used Brown Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color just to wick into the details. Not really a wash. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dana Bell said:

If you still need pix of the left rack, let me know...

Thanks Dana for coming in with the details. Greatly appreciated. VMF-512 White 21 is definitely post first 300. What I will do is replicate the Eduard details provided for the port tank, which I will not be using anyway, on that starboard tank. Any pictures you can share would be fantastic.

Thanks again,

Ray