Skyflash vs AIM-7, visual differences?

MeneMene

I'm working on a Viggen and am looking into maybe putting some missiles on it for a QRA scenario. I can't find any aftermarket Skyflash missiles in 1/48. Would it be accurate to just use an AIM-7E? I know there were internal differences with the guidance and radar seeker, but externally were there any big differences between the Skyflash and the AIM-7E that would be readily apparent in 1/48?

Thanks

hi,

difference comes basically down to some cable ducts and probably colors and some markings

there are quite nice Skyflash missiles in the Revell Tornado kit

https://www.revell.de/en/produkte/modellbau/flugzeuge/militaer-modern-revell/tornado-f-3-adv.html

some images here:

https://www.tornadosig.com/skyflash.html

and here:

2 hours ago, MeneMene said:

I'm working on a Viggen and am looking into maybe putting some missiles on it for a QRA scenario. I can't find any aftermarket Skyflash missiles in 1/48. Would it be accurate to just use an AIM-7E? I know there were internal differences with the guidance and radar seeker, but externally were there any big differences between the Skyflash and the AIM-7E that would be readily apparent in 1/48?

Thanks

in 1/72 and 1/48 the airframe differences are not really apparent. the skyflash has 4 antenna strips on the forebody  and of course the skyflash is a different colour to AIM7E (i.e. not white!)

Selwyn

6 hours ago, Selwyn said:

in 1/72 and 1/48 the airframe differences are not really apparent. the skyflash has 4 antenna strips on the forebody  and of course the skyflash is a different colour to AIM7E (i.e. not white!)

Selwyn

Great, looks like I can do it with some very minor modifications, thanks.