I/JG1 Aircraft numbers

torqueofthedevil

Folks, 

As far as I can tell, the 1st and 3rd Staffeln used individual numbers in the Staffeln colour with black outline, whereas 2/JG1 had black numbers with a red outline. Am I right, or did 2 Staffeln ever match the other two? The period I'm interested in is early 1944 ie the second striped cowling era. I have tried to find out for myself but I don't have enough references to reach a sound conclusion. 

Many thanks! 

I have just about finished a 1/32 Hasegawa Fw190A-5 modified as an A4, with a striped cowl, so my interest was piqued. From info and pictures in Defenders of the Reich JG1 vol.3 and Defending the Reich Vol.5 No.1 it seams that 1./JG1 had white numbers with black outline, 2./JG1 had black letters with red outline and 3./JG1 had white letters with black outline. Experts may know more.

TRF

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, fastterry said:

I have just about finished a 1/32 Hasegawa Fw190A-5 modified as an A4, with a striped cowl, so my interest was piqued. From info and pictures in Defenders of the Reich JG1 vol.3 and Defending the Reich Vol.5 No.1 it seams that 1./JG1 had white numbers with black outline, 2./JG1 had black letters with red outline and 3./JG1 had white letters with black outline. Experts may know more.

TRF

Many thanks, very interesting. Yet the restored Fw 190 in JG1 markings is Yellow 4! And a different book of mine has a profile of a Yellow 6. Puzzling! 

6 hours ago, JackG said:

The Asisbiz site is pretty good for displaying photos, so just look through the list and click the links for those labelled as 2./JG1 and dated 1944:

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Fw-190A/JG1-I.html

regards,

Jack

Thanks Jack, I wasn't aware of that site. Much appreciated! 

I've just re-read my post above and I was embarrassed. The info should have read 1./JG1 had white numbers with black outline, 2./JG1 had black numbers with red outline and 3./JG1 had YELLOW numbers with black outline. Apologies torqueofthedevil, I need more sleep.

TRF

Edited by fastterry
brain fade
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, fastterry said:

I've just re-read my post above and I was embarrassed. The info should have read 1./JG1 had white numbers with black outline, 2./JG1 had black numbers with red outline and 3./JG1 had YELLOW numbers with black outline. Apologies torqueofthedevil, I need more sleep.

TRF

Thought so! No worries, I've been working nights this week so I feel your pain!