Hasegawa 1/72 UH-60A Black Hawk - RAAF ARDU

My contribution to the GB will be the Hasegawa 1/72 UH-60A Black Hawk. 

The build will be OOB, with Hawkeye Decals to represent one of the Black Hawks used by the RAAF Aircraft Research and Development Unit. 

I've so far stuck with fixed wing aircraft, so I think it will be a nice change of place to give a whirly-bird a shot.

y4mRiCGYVQeQOWnjEbTghnXDSESbTUXxHTzZjFLw

• Like 17

Nice.  I built a Seahawk variant of this kit a couple years ago.  While the interior detail isn't all that great, it has fine exterior details/lines and went together pretty nice with minimal fuss.  Have fun with this build, it's an enjoyable kit to put together.

I should have also mentioned that Aussie Black Hawks are close to the USA Army's UH-60L in features and looks. The US Army took a lot of the Aussie ideas and created the L model. One noticeable difference to the UH-60A is the horizontal stab which is has squared off edges rather than the taper of the A. Not a biggie and I don't think it will worry you Lewis.

50060176703_43e5af0afe_b.jpg

50060739951_eb520bce99_b.jpg

(My pictures from the 2006 Richmond air show)

Another fun fact is the Aussie Black Hawks were bought direct from Sikorsky and don't use the US Army 'UH' designation of Foreign Military Sales (FMS) buys, ours are identified by the Sikorsky model number, S-70A-9.

Have fun with the build.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

One noticeable difference to the UH-60A is the horizontal stab which is has squared off edges rather than the taper of the A. Not a biggie and I don't think it will worry you Lewis.

Thanks Ray - it wasn't going to worry me until you mentioned it. What's the saying... ignorance is bliss? I think I'll leave it tapered for now, but already I'm thinking about how to fix it ;) 

That's some good information regarding the model numbers, I was curious why the decal sheet had the Sikorsky model number.

On 6/28/2020 at 7:21 PM, Col. said:

Are you adding the test boom that's illustrated on the upper profile?

Originally it was going to be a purely OOB build, but I'm leaning more and more to scratching some minor interior stuff as well as the boom. I have no experience scratch-building, so this would be the perfect opportunity to give it a shot.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2020 at 2:07 PM, lewis25049 said:

Originally it was going to be a purely OOB build, but I'm leaning more and more to scratching some minor interior stuff as well as the boom. I have no experience scratch-building, so this would be the perfect opportunity to give it a shot.

Good man :D Sure there's plenty of us who can offer helpfull advice for the scratch-building - whether you want it or not ;) 

• 1 month later...