1/48 F4U-4 Corsair VF-193 Ghost Riders

I won't start this until next week or later, probably when

the A6M3 is done. I am using the kit decals for a Korean War

Corsair of VF-193 Ghostriders. The kit is nice but a lot sparser

than the Tamiya kit and zilch for weapons, just 2 drop tanks. I

have some rockets donated to me so I will use 4  5" HVAR

rockets per wing. I also noticed on my Tamiya 1/48 kit some

rocket stubs, I am building that as an F4U-1A of Boyington's.

So I need to find out where these Tamiya parts will go on my

Hasegawa wings. Unfortunately I already have the Tamiya wings

assembled and painted, little did I know.---John

mvczSxi.jpg

0gxqOdU.jpg

Here are the rocket stubs that came with my Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A kit. Anyone

have the Tamiya kit and can give me dimensions as to where they locate?---John

Wy880e9.jpg

I have that picture, I need dimensions off the actual Tamiya unbuilt wings  where the

holes are to transfer them to my Hasegawa kit. I chose Hasegawa because I know

of no other 1/48 F4U-4 that doesn't break the bank. The newer Hobbyboss one

has LOTS of innaccuacies--John

47 minutes ago, Johnv said:

The newer Hobbyboss one

has LOTS of innaccuacies-

Which are?   I've seen this on US modelling sites, but without much actual detail. 

But, so does the old Hasegawa.  Fuselage is too deep and wide at the base, and this means the  wings are too low down the fuselage, about 2mm.

Plus it's really basic, raised panel lines, no cockpit or real engine detail.

I know this because I had a go at hacking the Academy -4 into shape,  assuming the big problem was the spine.  This is when I found the fuselage shape/depth problem.

Eventually I got the Hase to find out if it was, as reputed, accurate in shape.  Apart from the spine, Academy did a good job copying the old Hase. 

The Academy BTW gets the 'grin' well and does come with munitions.

The Hobby Boss -4 fuselage at least is a good match for the Tamiya. 

I still need to work out quite what is wrong with the HB kit,  most of it seems pretty decent.  Seems to have problem under the wing to cowl area.

I have the Hase -4, Academy -4, CMK-4 conversion and HB -4 for my sins......(I got the HB and CMK cheap BTW)

If no one else can, I'll measure up the holes in the Tamiya wing tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Go read for yourself., I built the Academy it sucks. I have the Hasegawa and that's what I am building!

I have no more to say. Consider the topic closed. I have the dimensions from someone else, please do not bother! --John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

None of the -4 Corsair variants are world-beaters, but i'd say the Hasegawa/Mania offering has the least things wrong with it from a basic shapes standpoint.

I have my doubts about the lower keel profile aft of the wing but i cant prove my suspicions. The Tamiya -1 versions definitely have a "Leaner" rear fuselage profile in comparison.

The Academy F4U-4 is just too wide in the fuselage.

• Like 1

On 04/07/2020 at 21:52, David H said:

None of the -4 Corsair variants are world-beaters, but i'd say the Hasegawa/Mania offering has the least things wrong with it from a basic shapes standpoint.

I have my doubts about the lower keel profile aft of the wing but i cant prove my suspicions. The Tamiya -1 versions definitely have a "Leaner" rear fuselage profile in comparison.

The Academy F4U-4 is just too wide in the fuselage.

Ages ago,  I got a cheap Academy -4,  as the main complaint was the spine behind the cockpit was too wide, 

It is, about 2mm.  A small amount need  removing in front of the cockpit in  at tapering wedge.   

Easy enough to fix I though, lay on flat surface, scribe in 1 mm line either side, trim, and bend fuselage in.   The fin is trickier, as the real thin is offset to port, but Academy made the fin too thick as well, so by removing more material from the port fin, and very little or none from the starboard this can be fixed. 

This also means the canopy is useless but about half of the -4 run had the -1 canopy anyway, which vacs are available for.

I was using a Tamiya -1 for 3-D shapes,  and when I used the seat bulkhead, I was surprised to find that the fuselage was too deep, making the wing too low, and the lower part almost square, as opposed to a curve.

this shot shows the curve of the lower fuselage

49979158071_7cf75648b1_b.jpg

Anyway, after much head scratching, photo staring and comparisons to the Tamiya -1 (there is a production line photo that shows the seat bulkhead to be a point egg shape, like the Tamiya bulkhead) I worked out what to remove and where, which is marked in black on the image below, as well as scoring inside the fuselage to bend it to the new shape,  which you get by making a new seat bulkhead.

I did dig this out again recently, and there needs a slice out of the cowling as well, between the lower tow cowl flaps.

img

Now,  at this point I was going, "oh boy, academy really messed up, again. "

So, I then bought a Hasegawa -4 to check,  as everybody says it's fine,. but basic.

NO, it's NOT.  Academy have indeed copied the Hase kit, very carefully in fact apart from the spine mess up.  

Now, as the -4 options in 1/48th are

Monogram/Revell - 60's era, working features, raised ,ine detail

Hobbycraft - reputed to be a copy of the old Monogram kit.

I do not have these for review.

Mania/ Hasegawa

Academy

as described above.

the other options are

CMK resin conversion for Tamiya, which I subsequently got 'cheap'  as I have a pair of Tamiya -1 I got cheap as some clown had mangled the lower wing section trying to fit resin wheel wells, and the got another and only botched it a bit...

The CMK set looks to have done a really good job on the cowling shape and lower wing.

The CMK conversion is well done, but new is very expensive, and lack the correct engine front :fraidnot:

Hobby Boss. 

Now, the HB kit fuselage is a good match for the Tamiya, as are the wings.  

The HB kit again I got cheap,  and while it has it's faults, they are less than fixing the Hase or Academy kit.   

Sadly there is no OOB easy option for an accurate -4 though.    

A final point, I have been doing the 72nd Italeri F4U-4B kit,  and looking at it, and the Academy kit, I think Italeri have copies the Academy kit down to 72nd :( 

the spine and fuselage looks very familiar...

I may have cracked an acrylic mix for ANA 623 Gloss Sea Blue though, so maybe have to try to finish the Academy butchery project, or one of them at least!