Rocket Tiger!

Next build off the production line has me reverting back to a 74 `Tiger` Squadron in flight diorama in the shape of a Spitfire Mk IX firing a pair of rockets during a ground support mission. 

Now for the history bit. 

Another unique claim to fame for 74 is that during it`s time with the 2nd Tactical Air Force in Europe, after D-Day they were the only Spitfire squadron to have their aircraft modified to carry a pair of rocket projectiles, one under each wing. One of the two cannon in each wing was removed to accommodate this modification and a 500lbs bomb could also be carried on the belly hard point. Squadron records show that the pilots did not like using the rockets as they were unpredictable when aimed at a target and tended to short out and launch in flight while the squadron was in formation flying to the combat area! The squadron soon reverted back to using bombs rather then the RP`s.

This is the Revell 1/32 kit in the markings of the Tiger`s CO at the time Sqn Leader Hayter. Prop blur is Flickr editing.

50041841592_430a41c4bb_c.jpg 

50041025983_08696d1fe2_c.jpg 

50041841392_b7a45d50e9_c.jpg 

Thank for looking.

• Like 24

A nicely done model picture but not quite the history.  The E wing only had one cannon a side anyway, the inner position being taken by a 0.5 machine gun.  I wasn't aware that they actually saw combat with the rockets but am willing to learn otherwise from a unit enthusiast.   I think that I've only actually seen one photo, but from other postwar Spitfires there would normally be a position for two rockets a side, perhaps as a result of the experience..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I wasn't aware that they actually saw combat with the rockets but am willing to learn otherwise from a unit enthusiast.   I think that I've only actually seen one photo, but from other postwar Spitfires there would normally be a position for two rockets a side, perhaps as a result of the experience..

Here you go Graham, photo from the Squadron archives. 74 did use the rockets operationally on a number of ops, as mentioned with limited success.

50041587083_88297821b5_c.jpg 

• Like 4

Great looking display, very interesting story and I like the photos a lot. Found it interesting that you could get the propeller blur through photo editing. Enhances the photos quite a bit!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tc2324 said:

Here you go Graham, photo from the Squadron archives. 74 did use the rockets operationally on a number of ops, as mentioned with limited success.

50041587083_88297821b5_c.jpg 

Interesting how the paint job goes into the bottom panel in the nose -- I haven't notice that on other Spits. Usually it is a sharp demarcation.

• Like 1

I like that, especially seeing it was "Spud" Hayter's aircraft. Hayter hailed from Golden Bay, just over the hill to the west of Nelson, & although I never met him, knew of his fine reputation. This is certainly an aircraft with a Kiwi connection to add to my list.

Steve.

• Like 2