N.A. T-28B Trojan

Evening all,

My first RFI for quite some time. It's the Roden 1/48 North American T-28B. Built for my model club's Covid-19 virtual group build and a lightning fast one for me - it only took just over three months (rather than my usual three years odd!) Not a particularly enjoyable build, some bits of the kit are great, others awful. Paint was Hycote Gloss White out of a rattle can and a mix of MR Paint British International Orange and Signal Red to get as close to the FS12197 U.S. International Orange that I could.

Anyway;

North American T-28B Trojan, BuAer 137652, U.S. Naval Test Pilots School, NAS Patuxent River, 1970's.

IMG_1636

IMG_1631

IMG_1622

IMG_1620

IMG_1647 (2)

Thanks for looking :)

Keith

• Like 44

Very nice build with subtle leaks and just right engine exhaust stains. Nice too that you built it in Test Pilot School markings rather than the more common training squadron insignia.

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2020 at 7:25 PM, keefr22 said:

My first RFI for quite some time.

Your're right - we've been waiting for another RFI from you for some time! Having said that, the wait was well worth it, as your Trojan is a real corker. :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

(Sam has also hit the ball out of the park with his Skyraider, although I'm still looking for the "meatballs") 😀

As far as my Hurrican is concerned, I reckon it should be ready in time for the September competition? 🤥

mike

• Thanks 1

Thanks Malcolm. :)

24 minutes ago, Baldy said:

So what parts of the kit were not so good?

Some of it was down to me being clumsy, possibly because Roden were too ambitious with their detailing, especially in the undercarriage. The nose leg in particular was finely to scale and I managed to break it three times! The main gear legs were (to my eyes anyway) too long giving it a far too tail high sit - so I chopped 2mm out of them, leaving a very fiddly drill and pin rejoin. I also thought doing that would make fitting the main gear doors problematical due to the way Roden designed them to fit, and so they proved! And one of the worst problems were some horrendous sink 'trenches' (they were way too big to be called marks) that ran almost full span on the tops of both wings and tailplanes, and slightly less bad ones on the fuselage sides along the cockpit area - I didn't notice these until I'd primed it, and sanding them out removed a lot of the panel lines which had to be rescribed. The wings were also a really bad fit and took much superglue and bicarb to get them stuck on and the gaps filled.

And one of the worst things that I actually thought might be a show stopper was the front canopy part. It is way too narrow and mis-shapen to fit properly and despite trying a good few times to reshape it with hot water it wouldn't work. So I had to leave it open and had to superglue the port side on first then force it down so I could superglue the other side on. I was fully expecting to hear a nasty cracking sound as I did that. It still doesn't sit right.

It's a kit that leads you into a bit of a false sense of security as the first few stages of the build - the engine, cockpit, putting the fuselage together all fit really well - but then it's all down hill! 

Keith

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, mitchem said:

your Trojan is a real corker.

Cheers Mike!

49 minutes ago, mitchem said:

ASfaras my Hurrican is concerned, I reckon it should be ready in time for the September competition? 🤥

Well get on with it man! You missed the 'meeting' again last night, and we discussed said comp & decided to carry on with it in anticipation of it being a 'virtual' one - Gav reckons he should be able to set up a poll in Zoom - unless by then we can get back to 'normal' meetings. Theme is still 'open'.

K

• 2 months later...