MIG-29 Hasegawa 1:72 Colors???

Seveneves

Hi All

Just starting my second kit that I picked up on the cheap to hone my skills.   To be honest I am finding that there is such a huge learning curve to enter this hobby and finding what color paints to use is part of that learning curve.  I am doing my due diligence and research but can't seem to get a good handle on a paint scheme.   The thing is that I like to use Tamiya paints through my airbrush.  I've looked at cross reference charts and whatnot but there are missing gaps as far as Tamiya goes.   I'm assuming I need to mix to fill in the blanks.  This is what I've come up with so far and I am posting this for some feedback and suggestions.  

xf-19   for the interior and base coat of the main body and wings

x-10    for the exhaust tubes

xf-24   for the dark grey cone/wing tips

xf 22   for the camo

For black I just use xf-1, neat or mixing in a bit of white or light grey depending what I'm painting so not to get that stark black colour for tires and whatnot.   Should I use it neat for the antiglare or cut it with a bit of grey?

I can also get Vallejo paints locally so that is an option as well.  I just prefer to hand brush these instead of airbrush.

Cheers

Frank

• Like 1

Bearing in mind the MiG-29 usually shows a lot of variation in weathering on top of the "standard" camouflage scheme, your Tamiya choices look generally OK but you may want to lighten the XF22 for less contrast with the base gray color.  You didn't mention which nation, much less specific airframe, you may be trying to model, and that will always be a question where paint selections are concerned: what is your refetence?

In general if Tamiya paints work well for you there's no reason to change unless you dislike mixing and need to match certain color standards that Tamiya doesn't match "straight from the bottle."  For example, if you plan to build a lot off postwar U.S. jets, you'll probably want to find a paint line that includes matches for the commonly used FS595 colors. 

Frankly, you'll almost always end up doing a project needing some color that requires a custom mix or using compatible paint from another manufacturer, so color selections are still a secondary concern after factors such as availability and ease of use.

• Like 1

Assuming you mean the pre-breakup Yugoslav AF, yes, their MiG-29s wore the "standard" camouflage colors. If you don't already have references, a Google image search for "MiG-29 Yugoslavia" or similar should turn up plenty of photos to give you a better idea the colors you want to duplicate.

This site has drawings that can help with the camo pattern as well as info on the history of individual Fulcrums in Yugoslav service:

Ygoslav MiG-29 Reference

@CT7567  Thanks for taking the time to give me that link.  I've been googling for some time and did not come across that.   Yes the decals that come with the kit are for the pre-war era.  The instructions come with a camo pattern but it is slightly different than what is shown on your link.  I'm going to go with the resource you provided.   

Researching and learning about history is another benefit of this hobby.  Thanks for your help I appreciate it.

• Like 2

@Seveneves - I have been in the same boat as you fairly recently (still am really!) so completely appreciate where you are coming from with this. 

It's definitely a learning curve - you have so many manufacturers of kits and paints, types of paints, there is a lot to take on board. I have found a few colour comparison charts online between the manufacturers but like you say sometimes there isn't always an exact match and you need to look at some references. 

Completely agree that learning about the aircraft and colour schemes is a big part of it. I've actually started to find getting the correct paints, reading about things etc and doing the research an enjoyable part of the whole process!

@Filbert_Wang - Yes doing the reading and research is the fun part of the process, painting canopies I am learning quickly, is not.  LOL

Looking at references is great but for someone who is colour blind like me I don't stand a chance making my own mix so need to rely on others.   So if someone has their own mix of Tamiya paints for the darker camo I'd appreciate it otherwise I will do what @CT7567 suggested and lighten up the xf-22 with some white or buff.

Cheers

• Like 1