Tornado Sqn Markings on Ops?

treacle6773

Evening all. I'm compiling information for an upcoming project where by I want to depict a Tonka on Telic (Op Telic 8 specifically, during my deployment).

I've found a decent reference of ZA553/DI (previously deployed and fondly named "Dishy Intel" during the invasion of Iraq).

The photographers notes appear to confirm that it was taken during the specified era with armaments relative to its time but one thing has me 2nd guessing...:wonder:

It's wearing Sqn Markings! 31Sqn in particular, and I can't seem to find any other evidence to confirm this.

Could any of you fine gentlemen (or women) shed any light on this please?

Here's the link to my reference:

https://www.dvidshub.net/image/20448/tornado

Edited by treacle6773
Spelling

Also, as my undercarriage recognition is still in its infancy, could I just confirm what it is carrying? (P-S)

Sky Shadow

1500ltr tank

TIALD

Paveway III

1500ltr tank

BOZ pod

Nothing on the centre or rear shoulders

39 minutes ago, treacle6773 said:

Also, as my undercarriage recognition is still in its infancy, could I just confirm what it is carrying? (P-S)

Sky Shadow

1500ltr tank

TIALD

Paveway III

1500ltr tank

BOZ pod

Almost there

The external tanks are the larger 2,250 litre versions which were originally used by the Tornado F Mk.3 before being adopted by the GR fleet from 1991

It also looks like the Tornado in your picture is also carrying empty (i.e. without missiles) BOL dispensers in place of the Sidewinder Launch Rails on the inner pylons: there are some better pictures of these in this walkaround.  In simple terms, the BOL dispenser is a missile launch rail with an integrated chaff dispenser. 

• Thanks 1

Although most sqn markings were removed some jet still managed to carry them for quite a long time. We had Tonkas out in Cyprus on Op Shader that still had sqn markings, just seemed that a few managed to miss the bland greyness.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Almost there

The external tanks are the larger 2,250 litre versions which were originally used by the Tornado F Mk.3 before being adopted by the GR fleet from 1991

It also looks like the Tornado in your picture is also carrying empty (i.e. without missiles) BOL dispensers in place of the Sidewinder Launch Rails on the inner pylons: there are some better pictures of these in this walkaround.  In simple terms, the BOL dispenser is a missile launch rail with an integrated chaff dispenser. 

Thanks for the correction @Richard EE. I did think they looked like 2250's but couldn't imagine they'd need that size in theatre and talked myself out of it. I didn't mention the BOLs did I. And I'm guessing no AIM-9s due to lack of aerial threat?

38 minutes ago, Motley said:

Although most sqn markings were removed some jet still managed to carry them for quite a long time. We had Tonkas out in Cyprus on Op Shader that still had sqn markings, just seemed that a few managed to miss the bland greyness.

That's reassuring to know. I'd seen some of the Libya Typhoons carrying markings too and thought that was quite odd.

Also makes for a more colourful model once it's done!

Would the image be accurate to a typical loadout at that time or would it have carried (and perhaps already deployed) more weaponry than depicted?

24 minutes ago, treacle6773 said:

And I'm guessing no AIM-9s due to lack of aerial threat?

Correct

24 minutes ago, treacle6773 said:

Would the image be accurate to a typical loadout at that time or would it have carried (and perhaps already deployed) more weaponry than depicted?

By 2006 the Tornado was probably providing an overwatch/air policing role so the payload is probably typical.  The only other payload they might carry could be the RAPTOR reconnaissance pod but I'll let more knowledgeable heads confirm that.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, treacle6773 said:

Sky Shadow

1500ltr tank

TIALD

Paveway III

1500ltr tank

BOZ pod

It's carrying the single 1,000lb Paveway II (most likely enhanced PW II), not a 2,000lb Paveway III.

5 hours ago, Jabba said:

What scale are you looking at?

If 1/72nd are these any good? https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ML72104?result-token=l4eMf

Sorry @Jabba, I don't know how I missed your post.

Unfortunately not. It'll be in 1:48. I got hold of the MA Op Telic pt.2 decals which include ZA553 albeit as was during the invasion of Iraq some years prior. Luckily it has the tail number in black AND white so these will be useable, but the "DI" designation is in the wrong colour (I would need them in white).

And I'm still on the hunt for some 31Sqn markings. I'm hoping the new Revell GR4 Farewell might have the gold stars for the tail as well as the front fuselage.

25 minutes ago, Phone Phixer said:

It's carrying the single 1,000lb Paveway II (most likely enhanced PW II), not a 2,000lb Paveway III.

Ah, it looked a bit long to me. Certainly doesn't look like it could carry two on the same shoulder. I might have to try getting hold of the odd EPW 2 from somewhere. I have two, but they are both earmarked for a Herrick Harrier (once I'm feeling brave enough).

11 hours ago, treacle6773 said:

Sorry @Jabba, I don't know how I missed your post.

Unfortunately not. It'll be in 1:48. I got hold of the MA Op Telic pt.2 decals which include ZA553 albeit as was during the invasion of Iraq some years prior. Luckily it has the tail number in black AND white so these will be useable, but the "DI" designation is in the wrong colour (I would need them in white).

And I'm still on the hunt for some 31Sqn markings. I'm hoping the new Revell GR4 Farewell might have the gold stars for the tail as well as the front fuselage.

Look no further, i have the Italeri 1:48 Tornado GR1 and it has late 31 Sqn markings as shown in the Telic photo you have posted. If i were you i would wait for the Revell GR4 as the Italeri kit is something of a pain to make and is less detailed (you'd also have to convert to GR4 by adding the FLIR). I'm more than happy to post you the decals, the only part missing will be the RAF red and blue fin flash as i cut this up to fit an early 90's Harrier GR7.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MT1 said:

Look no further, i have the Italeri 1:48 Tornado GR1 and it has late 31 Sqn markings as shown in the Telic photo you have posted. If i were you i would wait for the Revell GR4 as the Italeri kit is something of a pain to make and is less detailed (you'd also have to convert to GR4 by adding the FLIR). I'm more than happy to post you the decals, the only part missing will be the RAF red and blue fin flash as i cut this up to fit an early 90's Harrier GR7.

@MT1 That would be ideal. Thank you. PM inbound.

On 6/24/2020 at 7:22 PM, treacle6773 said:

Sky Shadow

1500ltr tank

TIALD

Paveway III

1500ltr tank

BOZ pod

It is a Paveway II that is being carried, I can’t tell from that angle though if it is an Enhanced PWII or not though.

23 hours ago, NealParkes said:

It is a Paveway II that is being carried, I can’t tell from that angle though if it is an Enhanced PWII or not though.

Hmm old targeting pod, paint scheme etc.... I would bet on laser guidance only...

Same series of photos:

https://www.dvidshub.net/image/20444/tornado

3 hours ago, Julien said:

I would say enhanced PW as you can see the steel bands holding the cable ducting on that go around the centre section of the bomb?

you are correct....

zoom in to the seeker head and you can make out the GPS domes as well

1000w_q95.jpg

• Like 1

On 24/06/2020 at 20:01, Richard E said:

Almost there

It also looks like the Tornado in your picture is also carrying empty BOL dispensers...

5 hours ago, Julien said:

I would say enhanced PW as you can see the steel bands holding the cable ducting on that go around the centre section of the bomb?

So, a revised stores of:

Sky Shadow

2250ltr tank

BOL

TIALD

EPW II

BOL

2250ltr tank

BOZ pod

Does anybody know of any other typical loads that might spice this up a bit whilst still being an accurate representation? RAPTOR/Storm Shadow etc?

I'm guessing no threat and therefore no requirement for ALARMs either?