RS Models 1/72 Dornier Do 17P "Ostfront"

Latest off the bench is the RS Models 1/72 Dornier Do 17P "Ostfront" kit.

This is a limited run, multimedia kit with resin and photo-etch components. This was my first real limited run kit, and I struggled a bit but learnt a lot. 

The instructions were extremely vague, and the kit had no positive locating tabs or similar for internal or external components. I quite often referred to the Airfix instructions on scalemates just to get an appreciation of how the aircraft is supposed to look.

During painting, I decided to try a different technique - no pre- or post-shading with the airbrush, with any tonal variations and weathering achieved with oil pants once the decals were down. This was mainly to get myself more comfortable and practiced with oils (I don't have a paint mule, each kit is an experiment).

The decals were extremely fragile and prone to breaking, which is evident in a few photos. I attempted to reassemble decals where I could (one of the H's was made up of 4 separate pieces by the end of it). Swastikas were provided but I didn't feel like fighting with them once I'd gotten the main markings on.

The kit is built OOB, plus EZ-Line antenna wiring and minus one PE gun sight which pinged across the room.

Critique always welcome.

y4mPV34QStRUN8UyFsgtzgJhtcg8o6USTRVEXG2B

y4m9xBU71lEQP-yhGFcCQN5z8FQtG-xm2BmCdK1f

y4mV4oZ-7N-vZa0N5Z-F4UWHSieENALr4YZXuKAu

y4mU1l9RsZsmzfTp00fiIPcfKfHDY4nHyrnX38ld

y4mk59Oi9CEiilvR7LC9zoAS0mm_YMYe73S6tJl0

y4mVhb6zlbKVQYa3TP9phDC8t_wW4fM23_LR7AQm

y4m64vaT4HfEeAGIkrISBgofg2-b1LAdE52p7UQh

• Like 42

It`s terrible when the decals break and become an extreme challenge.  It just saps the enthusiasm one has for the subject but your`s turned out great due to your patience and willingness to get to the finish line.  :clap2:

Mike

Lovely build, it looks like it fell together! do like the Do.17, great inspiration to get one :)

I’m much like at the moment experimenting with oils as I build and getting more comfortable.