1/144 - Convair B-36B/D/F/H/J & NB-36H Peacemaker by Roden - released

Homebee

Yes, beautiful box artwork as Silver Seraph says. I am very pleased about this. 1/144 is perfect for a B-36: it's still larger in 1/144 than a B-17 in 1/72. 

I have Roden's recent Boeing 377 and VC-10 in 1/144 and they are valued possessions. I have high hopes for this and will definitely buy one.

5 hours ago, Flankerman said:

I converted my 1/72nd Monogram B-36 into a GRB-36 'FICON' - using an Italeri kit to make an RF-84K......

spacer.png

Although the photo says '2000', the model was built in 1981 - unbelievably, nearly 40 years ago...!! :analintruder:

How time flies......

Ken

I wonder what the turbulence was like from a B-36?  It would probably make approaching the probe interesting!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 593jones said:

I wonder what the turbulence was like from a B-36?  It would probably make approaching the probe interesting!  

Shouldn't be much of a problem under the belly: no prop slipstream and nothing coming off the wing at you. I would not want to approach it from any direction other than directly line astern though., and would certainly not go anywhere near the wingtips when below the aircraft. Wake turbulence moves outboard and descends.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Flankerman said:

I converted my 1/72nd Monogram B-36 into a GRB-36 'FICON' - using an Italeri kit to make an RF-84K......

spacer.png

Although the photo says '2000', the model was built in 1981 - unbelievably, nearly 40 years ago...!! :analintruder:

How time flies......

Ken

Incredible, just read your build page and see you made the trapeze as s working part!

I tried doing this myself, but only made a fixed trapeze before converting it back to standard.

Oh my word, just saw this and i'm drooling already.

A '36' has been on my list for a long time, and 144 should be about right.

Having been fortunate to see all remaining '36's including the '99' and except for Walt Zaplata's full scale metal kit of one, i'm a terribly big fan of type...... RB would be nice, but not sure that or armament deployment is possible in this scale.

Cant wait.😍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, northernphotography said:

Oh my word, just saw this and i'm drooling already.

A '36' has been on my list for a long time, and 144 should be about right.

Having been fortunate to see all remaining '36's including the '99' and except for Walt Zaplata's full scale metal kit of one, i'm a terribly big fan of type...... RB would be nice, but not sure that or armament deployment is possible in this scale.

Cant wait.😍

Even at 1/144, she's a big bird...>19" wingspan.😮

Edited by Mike Esposito

18 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

Even at 1/144, she's a big bird...>19" wingspan.😮

Lovely, and if a range of decent decals is available i might go for 2 or even 3, as their markings were rather superb (thinking gear doors, high vis etc) but having  just seen pics of the 1:48 version in photographs, i'm torn. lol

• Like 1

O. K., I'm really going to stretch here: Can we hope for a 1/144 XC-99 conversion kit? I visited that old bird as a teen many times and saw it rotting away over the years and watched as it was dismantled for shipment to the USAF Museum. The Monogram/Revell 1/72 kit is not manufactured any more though I believe it's available on ebay. A 1/72 conversion kit was made at one time too but as I recall the vertical stabilizer looked wrong to me. With that said, I'm officially signed up as a model kit dreamer, with at least one certification yet.  😃

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

O. K., I'm really going to stretch here: Can we hope for a 1/144 XC-99 conversion kit? I visited that old bird as a teen many times and saw it rotting away over the years and watched as it was dismantled for shipment to the USAF Museum. The Monogram/Revell 1/72 kit is not manufactured any more though I believe it's available on ebay. A 1/72 conversion kit was made at one time too but as I recall the vertical stabilizer looked wrong to me. With that said, I'm officially signed up as a model kit dreamer, with at least one certification yet.  😃

The 1/72 B-36s are on evilbay. I think I have one surplus. I have four all together in various dismantled condition, one complete and flyable.

9 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

This maybe a radical thought, but the kit may differ from the box art.

Just sayin' like.

Tommo.

Yes we won’t know till we see Plastic, one thing I hope they don’t copy from Monogram & Hobby Craft is the way the Wings join the Fuselage both got it wrong,

Cheers,

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 6thCCU said:

Yes we won’t know till we see Plastic, one thing I hope they don’t copy from Monogram & Hobby Craft is the way the Wings join the Fuselage both got it wrong,

Cheers,

I maybe on my own but I find it strange to critique box art to the extent of rescribing the model. There is a high probability the artist has not seen the shots.

I'm sure pics of the styrene will be along soon enough.

Tommo.

5 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

There is a high probability the artist has not seen the shots.

Is there any indication yet how far along Roden is on this project?

• Like 1