1/144 - Convair B-36B/D/F/H/J & NB-36H Peacemaker by Roden - released

Homebee

1 hour ago, Mike Esposito said:

Hopefully we will see this before 2021...🙏

Would like to see the announced XC-99 around that same time frame.

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

Would like to see the announced XC-99 around that same time frame.

I'd like this, especially as the much awaited real thing is now back in AMAARG in its kit of parts.

Photographed it about 6 years ago at the USAF Museum in Dayton and missed it San Antonio unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2020 at 11:48 AM, northernphotography said:

I'd like this, especially as the much awaited real thing is now back in AMAARG in its kit of parts.

Photographed it about 6 years ago at the USAF Museum in Dayton and missed it San Antonio unfortunately.

My understanding is that the Air Force Museum, while they had it in dismantled state, decided it was too deteriorated to be a candidate for restoration. I'm guessing that it will ultimately be scrapped at AMARG, perhaps because that can be better facilitated there than it could have been at Wright Patterson AFB. It's really a shame because action taken many years earlier could have saved the old girl. She'd been at a site outside Kelly AFB since I was a kid and I'm 70 now. Northernphotography, I too look forward to the Roden kit and can only dream of   1/72 scale model too.

On 7/17/2020 at 12:26 AM, Mike Esposito said:

I would like to see the xc-99, but the B-36 was a far more important aircraft. 

Hopefully we will see both soon. 

I think, the only way we’ll get an XC-99 is if someone does a resin or vac fuselage conversion for this Roden kit.

As far as I can tell, there were at least two vac conversions for the 1/72 Monogram kit.

3 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

I think, the only way we’ll get an XC-99 is if someone does a resin or vac fuselage conversion for this Roden kit.

As far as I can tell, there were at least two vac conversions for the 1/72 Monogram kit.

Anigrand has a C-99 coming , also a Martin Seamaster & Douglas C-132 in 144th, I'm looking forward to seeing the Roden B-36 hope we see some plastic shots soon,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2020 at 1:51 AM, Silver Seraph said:

That is got to be the nicest box-art I have ever seen ! Nice release from Roden, considering how scarce the Hobbycraft kit is.

Include the full wings and make it bigger they could go into the print/poster business!

On 7/15/2020 at 11:30 PM, SAT69 said:

I'm guessing that it will ultimately be scrapped at AMARG, perhaps because that can be better facilitated there than it could have been at Wright Patterson AFB.

I’m not sure this is accurate. It’s true that the XC-99 was in worse shape than expected and evaluation led to the conclusion that the wing spar would have to be rebuilt as part of any restoration. Lacking the financial resources to do the work in the near future they shipped the airframe to AMARG to prevent further deterioration. If they had just wanted to scrap it that could have been done easily enough at Wright-Pat and would have saved the expense of shipping all the components 2/3rds of the way across the country. 
Maybe, in the end, only parts of the aircraft get preserved and put on display but I believe this is still an open question.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

Maybe, in the end, only parts of the aircraft get preserved and put on display but I believe this is still an open question.

If they preserved only the cockpit that would be nice.

Went to the facebook page to get a closer look at the CAD. They're packing a lot of detail into this one. While my fingers would have problems with much of the little pieces, I can see building one of these in an "in flight" mode and I think it'd be most impressive. Anxious to see where they go with this; a series of B-36s perhaps? Still hoping for an XC-99.

I’ve been looking at the photo I see don’t see a cockpit maybe RetroKit will take care of that for us & the Bombay is different for the B & the B-36D-J but that shouldn’t but too hard to fix, I like the decals but I’ve heard no so good things about Roden decals but Carcal has a 1/144 set coming, without new tooling looks like no C-99 or FICON GRB-36 from the parts in this photo Anigrand has a C-99 coming & my Pops flew in it filming a Demo Flight in Dec’52 so I kind of have to build one,

Cheers,

BTW Fun Fact: Interceptor Pilots loved to intercept the C-99 because they were required to write down the serial number of their targets, there was only one C-99 & you could see it for miles so they didn’t need to waste a lot of JP-4 to get close to it,

Edited by 6thCCU
spelling

Kits are starting to appear on eBay, its a little more than had been previously touted - but, then again it is one heck of a chunk of styrene.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roden-347-1-144-Convair-B-36B-Peacemaker-Early-Scale-model-aircraft-UK/254720395615?hash=item3b4e84c95f:g:0w4AAOSwXjRfYc9e

Tommo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 6thCCU said:

without new tooling looks like no C-99 or FICON GRB-36 from the parts in this photo

I could be wrong but perhaps it's too soon to write off an XC-99 or the FICON GRB-36. I'm confident we'll see an RB-36 and one of the late model B-36s as well. We can hope!

• 2 months later...