Tamiya 1/24 Ford Zakspeed Turbo Capri GR.5 WURTH

Hi there, so new territory for me my first wip on here reason being I've been searching for this kit for ages and finally landed one in excellent condition with faultless decals for a very reasonable price indeed. The build will be oob as most of my builds are so no super detailing I'm afraid main reason being I like getting a move on I've got to many future builds in mind to hang around 🙂

Here's a pic of the kit as I received it yesterday I have no excuses with this one it really is in immaculate condition 

spacer.png

So a quick look through the instructions and away we go, I have to admit I'm a little bit excited about this build 🙂

• Like 7

1 minute ago, JeroenS said:

Yeah, nice, count me in! It will be nice to follow one of your speedy builds. No pressure though 😉

Welcome aboard Jeroen 👍pressure what's that then ? 😂

5 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Cool, looking forward to this one - the Zakspeed Capris were my favourite Group 5 cars - really mean looking beasts!

I've got me :popcorn:ready!!

K

Yep I agree Keith another " moody " looking car glad to have you along for the ride 👍You've got your popcorn and I've got my stash of Cadburys mini eggs a vital part of my modeling armoury 😉

• Like 1

So my first update on this build 🙂. Started with adding a couple of parts to the shell which were two grilles fitted inside the top of the rear arches and a front light housing. Then I removed the seam lines from the shell which were very light and easy to remove with a 600 sanding stick. A quick light sanding of the shell with some 3000 wet and dry paper left me with the shell ready for primer. 

spacer.png

Next step was to prime the shell and the rear wing with a few coats of mr surfacer 1500 grey. With the temperature in the garage reading 81° this was a bit of a gamble however the primer went down well and I'm happy with the end result. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next job was to start priming the floor pan, chassis parts and the interior parts which tbf there aren't many of. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

At this point I had to stop spraying as my compressor was very hot and tbf I needed a break from the heat to. I'm happy with the progress so far and although this is an old kit with a low parts count I'm already enjoying myself 🙂. I said earlier that I wouldn't be adding any detail to the kit however it needs a seatbelt harness so I will add an Eduard photo etch set that I have in my spares box. Till next time thanks for looking back soon 🙂

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

I like the looks of the Gr.5 Capri and it looks like you're off to a great start with your model.

Thanks John I have been looking forward to building this kit for a long time the problem was the price most people were asking for was ridiculous. However I have the kit now so I'm a happy chap atm 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

so I will add an Eduard photo etch set that I have in my spares box

Excellent!!

It'll teach me to go and finish an aeroplane model - I missed half of your buid already Andy...!! :)

Keith

1 minute ago, keefr22 said:

Excellent!!

It'll teach me to go and finish an aeroplane model - I missed half of your buid already Andy...!! :)

Keith

😂 yep decent progress today Keith 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gt6mkiii said:

Will be following - I've looked at this kit a few times and it's one of my favourite liveries of all time.

Welcome aboard like I said earlier I've been hunting for this kit for ages and for the same reason as yourself I think the livery is awesome 🙂

21 minutes ago, gt6mkiii said:

Well, if you like it as much as I do, here's a desktop background for you that I did a few years ago: 😀

Martin_Aveyard_Capri_Wurth_White_1920x1080

Brilliant oh yes I'll take that all day long 👍

Ok so a bit more work completed today 🙂 I decided at work today that if the temperature in the garage was anywhere near yesterday's high of 82° the white basecoat would have to wait for another day for fear of some kind of paint reaction. Arriving home I checked the temperature in the garage and it was quite literally off the scale above the maximum 86° on my thermometer 🤨 So no white basecoat on the shell then however I realised how well the primer went down yesterday in similar heat so I took the gamble mixed up some Tamiya x2 and applied three coats to the shell. The results can be seen below 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm quite happy with the results all things considered but the 2k clear coat will definitely have to wait for lower temperatures can't have that drying to quickly that really would be a disaster. 

Next I moved on to detail painting the underside of the floor pan and the rear part of the interior. Very basic stuff I'm afraid but it had to be done and now it is 🙂

spacer.png

So that's it for today I'm happy with the results so far and will crack on again tomorrow, thanks for looking back soon 🙂

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Looking good Andy, white looks very smooth!

Keith

Thanks Keith the white actually looks better in the flesh than in the pic's 🙂

So after reading Keith's comment about the paint looking smooth I nipped out to the garage to see how well it had dried. It is easily glossy enough for me to decal on top of so I will decal first and then apply the clear coat. A bit risky using the 2k over the decals but I've done it many times before and never had a problem so hopefully it works out this time 🙂

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

A bit risky using the 2k over the decals

That's the main reason I want to try 2K is that the lacquer clearcoat I've been using has melted or lifted my decals unless I do multiple mist coats. Do you apply the 2K in a wet coat right over the decals?

8 hours ago, gt6mkiii said:

That's the main reason I want to try 2K is that the lacquer clearcoat I've been using has melted or lifted my decals unless I do multiple mist coats. Do you apply the 2K in a wet coat right over the decals?

I apply the 2k in three stages 

Stage 1 :  light coat slightly heavier than a mist coat. 

Stage 2 : medium to wet coat making sure to put down a base layer 

Stage 3 : full wet coat this is the one that counts when applied check for any orange peel if any is found apply more clear till it's gone. 

Allow 10 minutes between coats and after the final coat cover in a plastic container and leave well alone for 2 - 3 hrs. It takes 48 - 72 hrs to harden completely but if applied correctly it's the best gloss finish available. Hope this helps 

Regards Andy 🙂

Oh and yes it can be applied directly on top of the decals 

Edited by Andy J

I find a number of gloss acrylics react with decals if they either don't have a glossy surface to sit onto, or if they aren't fully set. So now I leave at least 24 hours after decalling and also make sure all the decals are fully attached. So far it works...