12 squadron to have squadron markings?

ian1485

I’ve just seen on The Aviationist a 12 Sq Typhoon with bars and badge - is this a one off? Has there been a change of heart about applying squadron markings across the fleet? I hope so....

Looks quite cool....not quite like the old days but its a start.

Meanwhile saw the clip of the noggy F5A pulling the guy across the hardstanding....reminded me of being pull behind a land rover in black death dewliners on the snowy apron at Bardufoss....what a laugh...cheers 

2 hours ago, ian1485 said:

I’ve just seen on The Aviationist a 12 Sq Typhoon with bars and badge - is this a one off? Has there been a change of heart about applying squadron markings across the fleet? I hope so....

I believe all other 12 Sqn jets will get similar markings. The reason being that the newly reformed 12 Sqn is a joint Qatar/RAF Typhoon training unit, does not have a war role, and hence no need for anonymity when in combat zones like much of the rest of the Typhoon fleet.

Mark

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, canberraman said:

I believe all other 12 Sqn jets will get similar markings. The reason being that the newly reformed 12 Sqn is a joint Qatar/RAF Typhoon training unit, does not have a war role, and hence no need for anonymity when in combat zones like much of the rest of the Typhoon fleet.

Mark

The sqns don't take jets with them when on ops like Shader, the jets stay out there and the sqns rotate. I was told the reason the sqn marks were removed was its easier with the jet moving between sqns and ops, as aircraft are pooled alot more now to help with availability and such, just look at the Tornado fleet to see how it worked. 

My understanding of the reason for removing squadron markings was to prevent revenge attacks against personnel on particular squadrons that could be identified for carrying out ops against particular armed organisations in the Middle East. Seeing as how squadron markings are removed for operational deployments, it doesn't make much sense to me either. No.9 Squadron had a couple of aircraft with markings applied for their reformation, but I suspect it will be much the same for No.12 Squadron as well sadly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Truro Model Builder said:

My understanding of the reason for removing squadron markings was to prevent revenge attacks against personnel on particular squadrons that could be identified for carrying out ops against particular armed organisations in the Middle East. Seeing as how squadron markings are removed for operational deployments, it doesn't make much sense to me either. No.9 Squadron had a couple of aircraft with markings applied for their reformation, but I suspect it will be much the same for No.12 Squadron as well sadly.

TBH doesnt take much to work out the location of the UKs Typhoon Force....er Coningsgrad and the Scottish air station.Also if some agency wanted a pop they would probably get more publicity against a random Typhoon force target rather than the hassle of finding an individual far too much time wasted

....terrorists arent stoopid 

• Like 1