Spits out for the boys!!

Apologies for the page three headline, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Anyway, here's the first three Airfix 1.72 Spitfire models. 

Two original BT-K ones, shamelessly ripped of from the 1.48 scale Aurora original. Then there's the more Spitfire shaped MkIX from the sixties and a later Mk1.

The BTK's are both refurbs, keeping the original paint where possible on the cammo one, a clean, polish and clear coat for the blue one. The blue is bare plastic. Silver plastic was also used for this release. Both rather rare now.

The JE-J is a later issue of the sixties original, in grey plastic.  It came to me loose with no transfers. I added early ones that went on perfectly. Bottled Airfix paints used for the grey, yellow and Duck Egg Green, exactly as called out in the instructions. The green is Humbrol 116 and 30 mixed 50/50. Tube cement used as well!

The Mk1 is, I belive, the kit that came with the airfield dispersal set. A really nice kit to build.  Revell Aquacolours used. Difficult to apply, lovely colour.

IMG-2273.jpg

IMG-2277.jpg

The MkIX is a recently completed one for the Kits you built as a Kid Group Build. Here's another shot of it...

IMG-2267.jpg

• Like 17

Very good. The early Spitfires have fat little  fuselages don't they? 

The Spitfire MkIX was one of my favourites as a kid. 

Just how is the paint in those Airfix jars? It's amazing how the paint lasts so well. I have some old Airfix tinlets and they work fine. I  recently re-opened and brush painted a model with a Humbrol tin that I  bought in the last century. Went on with hardly a brush mark.

Early Airfix paint is a bit hit and miss. The bottled stuff was never much good, even when it first came out. it felt thicker and somehow more grainy than Humbrol paints. Thinners didn't come into a ten year olds builds, so the paint had to work right, straight from the tin or bottle! The Duck Egg Blue undersides on the JE-J build were somewhat problematic. The paint didn't cover well and went on rather thick from the bottle. Two coats got a passable job done, but no competition winner here! The dark grey was fine though. The yellow on the wing leading edge took three coats to cover, but yellow is difficult no matter what brand.

I use old Humbrol as far as possible these days. It brushes out near perfectly. I've brush painted cars with Humbrol gloss colours without so much as a brush mark. Dust is another matter though.

Tony.

Four little scorchers!

That Mk I is indeed a really nice kit to build. And perhaps more suitable as a starter kit for beginners than the new tool version. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have just had another stunner of a sunset here in the Fenns.  I managed to get down to the bottom of the garden and take a couple of snaps using the Airfix 1.72 Spitfire Mk1  I built recently, just before the light went.

I sat the model on a card base on the roof of an old Ford and took these pictures...

Full frame...

20200711-210832.jpg

Cropped...

20200711-210832-copy.jpg

Full frame...

20200711-210737.jpg

Cropped...

20200711-210737-copy.jpg

Not a bad way to end the day.  😁

• Like 7

A fantastic journey back to my childhood - especially the bagged Spitfire kit and the Britfix cement!

I used to have endless difficulty with that glue stringing whenever I applied it.

Airfix must have sold gazillions of those Spitfires.

Your builds are 1000% better than my 8-year old self ever achieved! 👍

• Thanks 1